Auto Lock(out) Mercedes Based Suffolk

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Auto Lock(out) Mercedes Based Suffolk

Post by nforrgolf on Mon May 09, 2011 9:00 pm

I have just taken delivery of a 2010 Suffolk (ex demonstrator) and we were given a full and comprehensive briefing on delivery. Most of the equipment and system operation
I recognise from my last vehicle a Swift Suntor 630L. I am however in awe of the auto lock system of the Mercedes.
If you exit via the habitation door and both cab doors are closed the Locking system will re-lock ALL doors after about 40 seconds. It can be prevented by exiting and then opening and closing a cab door but what a faff!. Is there a procedure for inhibiting this "safety" feature.
I know you can always take the keys with you but one day I might forget.

nforrgolf

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Suffolk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Auto Lock(out) Mercedes Based Suffolk

Post by john simm on Tue May 10, 2011 10:58 am

Having such a system would be a real concern for me, can imagine easily being locked out with the keys left inside Whistle1
john simm

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Tue May 10, 2011 11:25 am

I believe some Mercedes have an auto-lock function when you start the engine. There is a sequence to disable this function, perhaps there is also a sequence to disable the system you have with the habitation door. I would have a word with a Merc commercial dealer.
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nforrgolf on Wed May 11, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks Paul I have just done that. Mercedes say they can cancel the auto locking . They will use a computer and will take about 30mins . The labour costs are £115.00 /hour.!!!!!!!!
nforrgolf

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Suffolk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Wed May 11, 2011 7:37 pm

The sequence to cancel the locking when you start the engine is apparently to hold the bottom of the locking button down for 8 seconds. Why not try various versions of this first before you go to that expense? No guarantee it will work. Thats a hell of an hourly rate!
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Auto lockout

Post by padraigpost on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Having previously had a Surrey and now like you a Suffolk I had a spare key cut (the one that also opens lockers should also be the one to unlock the door) I carry this in my wallet in case I get myself locked out, some keycutting companies say this key cannot be cut but it can, I have had them cut for both my vehicles, it gives that peace of mind if you know you have a spare in your wallet.
hope this is of some help
Don
padraigpost

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eggnog on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:11 pm

My previous alarm/immobiliser system having gone TU on me in the car park at Harwich whilst overnighting before the ferry, I had a full new system fitted. One of the features was auto-lock of the cab doors twenty seconds after setting off. Ok, I said to myself and got on with life.

I didn't realise that the twenty second bit included opening and closing the cab door with the engine running. So. In Spain and leaving the campsite. Madam goes to pay, I go to open the gate..........closing the door behind me with the engine running..........Clunk Click........ the bl00dy dors are locked and both of us are outside.

There is a God. He'd arranged for the driver's window to be open. Otherwise we'd probably have been there still.content

Which is a long way of saying, yes the thing can be re-programmed. The guys who fitted my system were mortified when I told them the story (after they'd stopped laughing) but it took them a long call to the supplier and a fair bit of faffing to disarm that element of the system. It certainly wasn't in the manual that came with the kit.

Here endeth another of Eggnog's Awful Warnings.
eggnog

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Locks on Mercedes based motor homes

Post by DickandJanGlover on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:27 pm

I am duly warned and very scared of leaving our Worcester without a key tied firmly to my person! hulahoop-girl

DickandJanGlover

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno on Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:09 pm

A quick fix can be acheived by sticking a piece of electrical tape over the contacts on the doorframe this will isolate the door electrics, a similar situation occurs when these contacts get tarnished and dirty and fail to conduct. This would entail manually locking and unlocking the hab door all the time the tape is in place but then it is only a matter of peeling off the tape to return to normal.

John.
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi there,

I've kept a horrified eye on this thread on the basis of "I don't beleeeeve it!"

Doesn't any of the numb-nuts that design these things ever stop to work out all the possibilities of "What can go wrong?"; and then make sure that it can't?

As usual, I am impressed with the ingenuity shown by the members of this Forum to defeat the things; so "Congratulations!" and here's hoping that I never own one!

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

lock out

Post by murph on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:09 pm

We have 2 sets of keys, Mrs M has one in her bag which is rarely used, but should I lose the key or are shut out for any other reason when we are outside the van the spare is always available. How many times do you see people with both keys on the one key ring.

Brian
murph

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:12 pm

murph wrote: We have 2 sets of keys, Mrs M has one in her bag which is rarely used, but should I lose the key or are shut out for any other reason when we are outside the van the spare is always available. How many times do you see people with both keys on the one key ring.

Brian

Mrs D has a second set of keys as well - she keeps them in her handbag - she leaves her handbag in the safe under the passenger's seat when we go out on the bikes ..... bouncing bouncing bouncing ....... and people wonder why I wander around muttering "No one knows what I have to put up with!" shrugg shrugg

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony F on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:43 pm

Dutto wrote:

Mrs D has a second set of keys as well - she keeps them in her handbag - she leaves her handbag in the safe under the passenger's seat when we go out on the bikes ..... bouncing bouncing bouncing ....... and people wonder why I wander around muttering "No one knows what I have to put up with!" shrugg shrugg

Best regards,

drinksallround

I'm put in mind of an old Andy Capp cartoon: He's watering the garden whilst protecting himself from the rain with an umbrella; watching this, Florrie's friend says to Florrie "me own man's a bit thick Flo, but I reckon you've got the champ!"

My sympathies Dutto hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins

T Whistle1 ny
Tony F

Auto-Sleeper : Windsor on Mk 6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:49 am

Does the tape system work on your Tranny Johno?, the Ford has a similar system of which I have alsways been windy about but recently noticed the auto locking doesnt always happen. Maybe I have unwittingly done a sequence that Paul mentions for the Mercs

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:14 am

Hi Roli

Yes the tape system does work with Trannys as you know we have the same timed auto relock if a cab door isn't opened within about 30 seconds or so, but beware the tape sometimes drops off so I guess a belt and braces approach would be to stick tape on both door and frame contacts,how far does one go !! scratch head

Regarding intermittent locking action it is usually caused by tarnished contacts I have found the best remedy is to give them a gentle cleaning with one of those fibreglass pen type contact polisher/cleaner these remove tarnish etc without taking off the surface matierial of the contact, followed by a quick wipe with a tissue dampened with something akin to WD40 to slow down future tarnishing/corrosion.
The worst case scenario is that the door needs slight readjustment but judging by the symptoms I would put my money on dirty contacts in your case up!

Happy new year John.
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum