Motorhome Sales.

Go down

Motorhome Sales.

Post by whisky on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi All.

Have you noticed that just lately there are a number of people making themslves members of the forum then without introduction or anything wanting to sell their motorhome? Is this acceptable or not? I definately dont want any of the forum members missing out on a bargain but are we forum or sales centre? Also these so called members selling their motorhomes only post once and are never heard from again.
Are they worthwhile members of the forum or not? scratch head

What do you think? Whisky.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Motorhome Sales.

Post by -mojo- on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:02 pm

On another forum I'm a member of (nothing at all to do with motorhomes), they have set up the "For Sale" section so that you can only post if you have already made more than 50 previous posts, unless you pay a "subscription fee" of £10.

That seems to keep most of the "one post sellers" away, and also generates maybe couple of hundred quid a year towards the site's running costs - though very occasionally they get someone replying to every post (whether they have anything relevant to say or not) to get their post count up to 50!
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:09 pm

That sounds a sort of reasonable idea but I think that the 'for sale' section could be something that is restricted only to members who have been members for a month and not the number of posts. The problem with this is the new 'members' who post their 'for sale' item in the introduction section and therefore by-pass this idea.
I'm with Whisky on this. It's certainly not forum etiquette to come straight on with a 'for sale' post with no intention of 'joining in' the forum.
Paulmold

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:16 pm

I think that these people just see the forum owners as mugs who will let them advertise for free.
Personally, I would just zap the post(s) and the member who posted it.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:57 pm

boxerman wrote:I think that these people just see the forum owners as mugs who will let them advertise for free.
Personally, I would just zap the post(s) and the member who posted it.

Frank

Me and Frank have been known to disagree in the past - but definitely not this time! allthumbz

Great idea!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ASOF Staff on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:04 am

As frustrating as it is to staff and forum members these posters do unknowingly benefit ASOF as each vehicle listed will help drive people to the forum, the more Auto-Sleeper related posts that are posted on the site helps our web presence with the search engines. We do ask that members introduce themselves prior to posting any classifieds and this policy should be strictly adhered to by moderators.

Staff Member
Staff Member

View user profile http://www.auto-sleeperownersgroup.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:37 am

Hi

I think Mojo's suggestion is worth looking at. Unfortunately too many people in our Country are always looking at "something for nothing"

Andy up!

andygump

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:58 am

ASOF Staff wrote:As frustrating as it is to staff and forum members these posters do unknowingly benefit ASOF as each vehicle listed will help drive people to the forum, the more Auto-Sleeper related posts that are posted on the site helps our web presence with the search engines. We do ask that members introduce themselves prior to posting any classifieds and this policy should be strictly adhered to by moderators.

That’s an interesting point Admin !!!

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveyP2004 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:13 am

I have come across this before on other forums but my opinion is that if the person is selling something Autosleeper related then it may well be of interest to forum members so why not let them post.

As stated earlier it will bring new members to the forum who are using search engines and once they find the site they find it interesting and join.

Also if I was looking for a vehicle or part and someone is selling exactly what I am looking for then it doesnt really matter to me if they have introduced themselves or not.

I understand the forum takes time and money to administer and it seems that these people dont add any value but I think by barring them or removing their posts you are possibly preventing a participating member finding something he is looking for or a potenial member finding the site and joining the forum.

Cheers,
Dave
DaveyP2004

Auto-Sleeper : VW T4 Topaz LE

View user profile http://www.vwT4camper.info

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum