Kielder Water - Northumberland

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kielder Water - Northumberland

Post by MrsCC on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:31 pm

Kielder Water Caravan Club Site, Leaplish waterside park is an affiliated site to the Caravan Club. I have to stress this because of the AS this site doesn’t have the same standards of the CC sites, so you shouldn’t except it to have.

Reception

We were met by a friendly chap in reception who informed us to find a pitch then return to the office for details and toilet block key. This we did up! . The site is remote and in the middle of Kielder forest with no mobile phone or wi-fi reception and no public phone box facility! scratch head We couldn’t get digital TV neither just analogue, the digital switch over happening this week – so we just missed out.

The Pitches are larger enough to sit outside with an awning up – all hard standing and a few with views of Kielder water, others within the pine trees.

There is one toilet/shower block with separate ladies / gents sections with 4 showers, plenty of toilets and sinks. Shower block is fairly clean through out and is nicely fitted out including powerful hairdryers (a rarity to have powerful ones) hairdryer . Showers are power showers so strong that it forces the shower curtain out of the shower tray and the floor gets saturated. The cubicles are compact. There was mildew on the grout in-between the tiles and the extractor fan above each shower unit was very filthy – caked with dust – surprising for a 4 star facility. so_sad

Water Point

Toliet Block and Pitches

A couple of service points with fresh water taps, rubbish bins, grey waste points all within easy distance, as is the washing up point and laundry facility. The information hut is poor with no information leaflets to take away, just a map of Kielder Water / Forest. There is a dog walk on site walkies but to be honest the walk down to the waterside is a better walk with fantastic views rather than through the pine trees. The site could be much improved if the grass was cut and hedges trimmed as the grass was quiet long during our stay and a general appearance was average.

Make sure you bring provisions with you, as the shop by the waterside doesn’t have much and it’s a few miles to the nearest village.

View of Kielder Water from the Camp Site

A great area to visit especially if your on a bike, 'Im sure the ride around the Kielder water is well worth the ride. cycle The parts we saw on foot we spectacular.

MrsCC

Female

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re-Kielder water Northumberland

Post by burlingtonboaby on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Nothing much has changed at the site since Mr/Mrs CC's visit last September, we had 5 days there with a lakeside view (W47).
Even had a BBQ on saturday, plenty of bird and animal life to watch, lots of good walks in the woods around the lake.
I concur with Mrs CC's report that the Shower/W.C block lacks the Caravan clubs 5 star approach to cleanliness, the single shower plug hole was choked with hair and other items.
We intend to call in later in the year as we both think its a nice part of the country, well worth a second visit. up!

Boaby & Hazoo
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kielder Water - Northumberland

Post by Paulmold on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:14 pm

Any time much later than now and you'll be plagued by midges. We were there about 3 years ago, I was bitten quite a lot but my cousin whom we went with was so badly bitten that it ruined his time there.
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kielder Water - Northumberland

Post by burlingtonboaby on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Paulmold wrote:Any time much later than now and you'll be plagued by midges. We were there about 3 years ago, I was bitten quite a lot but my cousin whom we went with was so badly bitten that it ruined his time there.

Hi Paul
Thanks for that Paul, we have lived with the Scottish midge for many years, having lived on the west coast of Argyll and Bute , we try to avoid them when ever we can, unfortunately the midge what ever nationality just love me.
We have two grades of midge nets and Avon, skin so soft spray, ready for north Wales and Scotland later in the year.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: