The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting new X250 Boxer Scuttle

+2
boxerman
CC
6 posters

Go down

scuttle - Fitting new X250 Boxer Scuttle  Empty Fitting new X250 Boxer Scuttle

Post by CC Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 22:33

Purchased a new scuttle tray to fit our Boxer (X250) today, quite a bit different to the scuttle panel currently fitted in that the drain holes are considerably bigger, also the new part has a self adhesive strip along the back of the window rubber to seal it against the screen shrugg

Just to warn others I recently thought I would seal the current scuttle along the bottom of the screen, so got some sealant and placed the sealant gun nozzle behind the rubber trim and pumped a moderate bead into the void and gently pressed the panel and rubber back against the screen, when the sealant had partly cured I then trimmed off the excess with a stanley blade before finishing of with a neat bead of black sikaflex thinking to myself "that's a good job done" only to find the next day the rubber had slightly buckled and had left the screen in three or four places censored! !!

Not being able to live with the above Peugeot ordered me one in at a cost £54 per side! Hoping that the self adhesive strip is a new implementation as I know the current one has no strip on the back? Hopefully this will create a satisfactory seal in it's self? Think to fit I just have to remove a couple of torx screws, remove the wiper arms, panel above headlamps and hopefully the bonnet can stay in situ, it just seems to unclip and the new one clips back in place. The guy on the parts desk said the rubber seal buckling is fairly typical and while I was there I looked at three Boxer vans 10 & 11 reg and two had signs of lifting, one had a strip about 4" long on the passenger side where you could literally stick your finger in between the glass and the rubber so if that's anything to go by shrugg

As Peugeot were so pitifully incompetent on at least two counts yet had the audacity to charge on our last visit to them I've decided to fit it myself as I know I'm likely to fit it way better than they are ever likely to! Hope to tackle the fitting at the weekend good weather permitting wellhappy

If anyone has first hand experience of fitting, then any advice would be helpful gimmefive

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

scuttle - Fitting new X250 Boxer Scuttle  Empty Re: Fitting new X250 Boxer Scuttle

Post by boxerman Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 23:32

Best advice I can give you is to be careful with Stanley knives! I've just had 3 stitches taken out of my thumb today due to an "incident" with a Stanley knife last week. (Clumsy B*gger)

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

scuttle - Fitting new X250 Boxer Scuttle  Empty Re: Fitting new X250 Boxer Scuttle

Post by Guest Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 7:49

CC I have fiited a new scuttle on our previous 2008 Nuevo. I purchased the scuttle with the adhesive strip. It's easy to fit, but you will not solve the dreaded water ingress into the engine bay without diverting the water from the drain holes away from the engine. I fitted some push fit plumbing attached to some tubing to divert the water down and back clear of the engine. I have to dash off this morning but I'm happy to give you more details tomorrow as I will be late back tonight.

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 12:03

boxerman wrote:Best advice I can give you is to be careful with Stanley knives! I've just had 3 stitches taken out of my thumb today due to an "incident" with a Stanley knife last week. (Clumsy B*gger)

Frank

Frank,

Don'tcha just love the way the body reacts to cutting yourself with a Stanley Knife? up!

I find there is usually just enough time to glance at the wound, cover it up and think "I wish I hadn't done that!" before the pain hits and the blood starts to flow. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffles Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 13:58

Even if you are quick enough to realise what you have done, you somehow can not stop the blade entering your body somewhere.

Your right, it does not hurt at first, but when you see the "depth" of entry, call the wife with the 1st aid kit!, and be brave!!!!

fluffles oh_blast!

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot executive

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 15:08

In my work, I got through hundreds of Stanley blades & also scalpels, & a split-second before I'd say to myself, 'careful, you'll cut yourself',

then WHAM!! in she'd go!!

Very sharp blades, make for a real 'sting' & gushings of the red-stuff, but also in my work, I used loads of superglue, so, upon the 'big-slash', I'd

immediatley flood the area with superglue, & bobs your auntie, instant repairs, works every time hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

scuttle - Fitting new X250 Boxer Scuttle  Empty Very Off Topic

Post by boxerman Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 15:24

modelman wrote: I used loads of superglue, so, upon the 'big-slash', I'd immediatley flood the area with superglue, & bobs your auntie, instant repairs, works every time hugegrins

I read that "superglue" (isocyanoacrylate)was invented for this very purpose up! for use in the "MASH" camps where some of the wounds and conditions were so bad that stitching was not possible.
It was later discovered that it stuck other things as well, particularly rubbery things (did you know that squash balls were made in two halves and stuck together with "superglue"?)

I think this topic has strayed far enough now though - my fault I know Whistle1 and let CC have it back.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 19:56

hoopman wrote:CC I have fiited a new scuttle on our previous 2008 Nuevo. I purchased the scuttle with the adhesive strip. It's easy to fit, but you will not solve the dreaded water ingress into the engine bay without diverting the water from the drain holes away from the engine. I fitted some push fit plumbing attached to some tubing to divert the water down and back clear of the engine. I have to dash off this morning but I'm happy to give you more details tomorrow as I will be late back tonight.

John

Hi John... any advice on fitting would be helpful, think it's fairly straightforward looking at it but concerned after removing the old one that I will get into difficulty fitting the new one in place hugegrins think I'll be fine but you never know!

I did fit some drain tubes on the previous scuttle but the new tray seems to have more drainage holes and they are much bigger in diameter, found the easiest way to do it on the last scuttle tray was to sikaflex some pipe inserts to the base of the scuttle where the holes were then when set attached some hose and this seemed to work well so will use this method again.

With regards Stanley blades Frank & Dutto... I know only too well how nasty they can be as I still have a scar on my little finger when I nearly sliced it off when I was in my early teens, certainly makes you appreciate the dangers more and I'm very danger conscious smile! Hoping with the adhesive strip that I wont have to seal along the bottom of the screen this time (don't want the new rubber to go out of shape!)

Does anyone know if the screen rubber on earlier models had this adhesive strip or was this added later on? otherwise the only thing I can think of is maybe our windscreen was replaced at some point hence no adhesive holding the rubber tight to the screen... not sure why the sealant caused the rubber to go out of shape, as it fitted fairly tight along the screen edge before I did this so a warning to others contemplating sealing the screen rubber.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 23:05

Hi CC,
Please tell me it wasn't Black 221?

You see;
A certain person, not a million miles away from this keyboard, at the time of the great drought thought it would be an ideal time to seal the aforementioned. Lashed out loadsa money on a tube of the blackstuff.
Then it started to rain,....and rain,......and rain.....
I was hoping that at some time it would stop long enough for everything to dry out and get the job done.
Now, you say your windscreen rubber reacted and bubbled...............

Please tell me it wasn't Black 221?

Derek
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Aug 2012 - 10:33

Hi CC
First chose a dry day!

Remove the wiper arms, headlight panels and bonnet. Remember to mark the position of the bonnet fixings, but have a good look at the front of your van first to see how level the bonnet line is to the bumper. (It's amazing how many are not level in the first place).

Remove old scuttle and clean up the whole area pay particular attention to the glass where the new scuttle will meet it. (Incidentally my old scuttle did have an adhesive strip fitted to it but it had come away from the screen in so many places - van was 18months old). As you say even the new ones today are still poorly sealed).

On the new scuttle I fitted pipe inserts to the drainage holes at either end, I had to open the holes up a bit in the scuttle, (bit of a panic due to price of this piece of plastic!). These inserts were pushed in and sealed with black windscreen sealant for a nice water tight fit. Once dry I then attached two lengths (approx 4-5 feet from bad memory) of 15mm dia John Guest rigid blue pipe to each side. The actual length was measured by trying the arrangement first on the van (with no sealant) to make sure everything would fit in and the pipes would have a ‘clear’ run through the van and could be tie-wrapped later away from anything important.

Fix the pipes to the inserts and poor water around the inserts to check the water only comes out at the end of the pipes. Dry off and then carry the scuttle with dangling pipes to the van (an assistant is very useful here! biggrin ). Put in situ in the van. Remove the plastic strip from the back of the sealing strip and carefully press to the windscreen. Clip the pipes with tie wraps to something suitable.

We then sealed under the top and side edges of the scuttle where it meets the glass, using black windscreen sealant. I know you shouldn’t need to, but I think once the adhesive tape on the back of the scuttle gets wet it will start to come away. (Remember my old scuttle had the adhesive strip).We also used sealant when there the two halves of the scuttle join each other. I’m fortunate in that my wife is brilliant with sealant and made a perfect invisible job. hulahoop-girl loveheart After 24 hours there was no movement in the scuttle. Put the wipers headlamp panels and bonnet back on.

The following day it rained and the amount of water coming out of the pipes was simply staggering. The engine bay remained dry until we sold the van many months later. lets_dance

Hope this helps. Sorry it’s a bit long !
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu 30 Aug 2012 - 20:24

PennyandDerek wrote:Please tell me it wasn't Black 221?

Hi Derek.... kind of... I used Evo-stik all purpose sealant behind the trim then once that had cured I ran a neat bead of Sikaflex 221 black where it meets the screen, have no idea why it went wavy shrugg it sounds worse than it really is in reality and me being mega fussy I've just got to replace it as it'll drive me crazy otherwise, most would probably just live with it....

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu 30 Aug 2012 - 20:32

hoopman wrote:Hi CC
First chose a dry day!

Remove the wiper arms, headlight panels and bonnet. Remember to mark the position of the bonnet fixings, but have a good look at the front of your van first to see how level the bonnet line is to the bumper.

Thanks for the info John... was hoping the bonnet could stay in place, is it impossible to fit with the bonnet left in situ?

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Aug 2012 - 21:04

CC
I honestly can't remember. I know I wanted to remove it so I had good access. It's not something to be concerned about. It's only 4 bolts (I think). Just drawn around the bolts with a marker pen to ensure they go back in the same place. I think you will find it much easier to do the job up!

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down