New Members Joining

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Members Joining

Post by CC on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:06 pm

I've noticed over recent weeks that registrations seem to be up... surprisingly many of these new members joining us are increasingly introducing themselves which is something we have always had a problem with in the past. While the problem is not as bad as it used to be, I still struggle to understand why so many members introduce themselves or post a question once or twice then disappear never to be seen or heard from again which seems such a shame.

Disappointingly we also have members who previously have been quite active in the past who also seem to have disappeared and we can only hope they will return one day to join in again gimmefive

On a more positive note....

Thankfully we still have many regulars who have remained very loyal to our cause and help prove wrong those who said "It'll never last!" good2

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: New Members Joining

Post by deckie on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:49 am

Hi CC,

Spot on Mate up!

I’m amazed when I check out the ‘to-days birthday’ section at how many “members” have not even posted once, or even logged-in since “joining”

Strange old World, isn’t it ??

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:10 am

Hi CC.

I think it is only polite to introduce yourself before wading in with queries to the forum members.
I do not have a big problem with some members not posting, as some people only prefer to read the posts and not participate.
With any forum there will always be a core section of members that regularly keep things moving along nicely.
I also think we have one of the best motorhome forums on the internet. Thanks to the founders. administration and the active members.

As Tina Turner said. "Simply The Best"

Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:31 am

Actually, I might have been one of those who didn't introduce myself at first blush but I hope I've made up for it since.
I've said this before, but what annoys me are the ones who wade in with a query, get an answer to their problem and then never post again - not even to say "Thank You"

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:46 am

boxerman wrote:I've said this before, but what annoys me are the ones who wade in with a query, get an answer to their problem and then never post again - not even to say "Thank You"Frank

I agree entirely. It doesn't cost anything to say thank you.
Paulmold

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:28 am

Paulmold wrote:

Unless you are with Orange!

I logged on to the Internet a month ago (this was in Scotland by the may - not Outer Mongolia) and in the space of nine hours they removed £60 from my account and then explained how it was all my own fault for not turning the "cellular data" off. crazie

After 12 years with Orange I moved my account to Vodaphone and, so far, have had excellent service. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by orian on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:46 am

So if like Frank you have not been thanked for your contribution;

Thank you handshake

This is by far the best forum that I know and it is thanks to Admin, Moderators, Staff and everyone who contributes. topmarks

Take a bow bow dont_mentionIt

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re:New Members Joining

Post by brodco on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi Chaps and Chapesses!
I’m one of the new members you’re talking about and I did introduce myself before asking anything (actually I haven’t asked anything yet but I’ve tried to answer questions when they fall within my area of expertise – limited though it is.) There are lots of questions I need to ask but I haven’t got around to them yet.
A few comments:
This is a brilliant forum and I hope to be an active member for a long time. We can disagree (and very healthy that is too) but so far I’ve seen nothing of the flame wars prevalent in some other forums.
There will always be people that will not say thank you but hopefully, by answering their questions we are still promoting the camping ethos.
There are many reasons why people may leave. Lets’ face it many of us (and I include myself in this) are getting older and maybe close to give up driving and, unbelievable as it seems, some people probably defect to other makes of van.
I notice that some people have said “Goodbye” in the “Introduce yourself” section. Perhaps the moderators may consider introducing a “Goodbye” section. It would allow all of us to better understand why people leave.
I think we should all remember that some people are not aware of the etiquette of forums such as this one and that their apparent rudeness is not always intentional.
Happy wanderings to all.
Brod
brodco

Male

Member Age : 63
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile http://www.eurotherm.co.uk/en-gb/products/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:14 pm

brodco wrote:.........

I notice that some people have said “Goodbye” in the “Introduce yourself” section. Perhaps the moderators may consider introducing a “Goodbye” section. It would allow all of us to better understand why people leave.

Hi there,

I think that is an excellent idea.

I enjoy the Forum but if I ever gave up "Petal" and din't get a replacement I would feel a bit of a fraud staying a Member. (On the other hand, I will probably be so decrepit by then that I wouldn't be able to post anything anyway!!)

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuevo on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:25 pm

brodco very good points made in your post.maybe the site owners would consider an area for members who move on to other motorhomes or give up the hobby to pop back and have a natter. not been here that long myself and dont know any of the past members but sounds a brill idea fella.

Dave beer-drinking-smiley
Nuevo

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by orian on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:18 am

"I notice that some people have said “Goodbye” in the “Introduce yourself” section. Perhaps the moderators may consider introducing a “Goodbye” section. It would allow all of us to better understand why people leave."

I agree with this suggestion. A good friend on this forum who contributed significantly had to leave when he exchanged his AS for another brand. As a result he is probably making a good contribution to another forum. What do others feel about this. scratch head

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:47 am

I don't think it's necessary, if people want to say "goodbye" they can do that in the general chat forum. I have been on several forums & newsgroups and I can't say that I have ever seen this before.
Hopefully it would not get used enough to warrant it's existence and I'm sure the mods would not want the extra work monitoring it.
It also smacks of Admin encouraging people to leave smile!

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann B on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Paulmold wrote:
boxerman wrote:I've said this before, but what annoys me are the ones who wade in with a query, get an answer to their problem and then never post again - not even to say "Thank You"Frank

Totally agree. I joined, introduced myself and have thanked those of you who generously welcomed me and answered my few (so far) questions. I am on a number of different forums (most of them craft related) and always take my time to get to know how the forum works and ease my way in gradually. Sometimes hard for new members to dive straight in to an already active group - it can feel like a club sometimes, but your forum has been very welcoming, helpful and informative and I'm sure you be hearing a lot more from me - can't wait to tell you about my first trip out in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
Ann B

PS are you all blokes here or do you have any ladies who post?
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks for the comments.

I tend to agree with Frank myself in that by having a goodbye section you are almost encouraging members to leave. The other concern is we have had two or three members in the past who have thrown their toys out of the pram and left us because of a discussion they haven't agreed with and taken things personally, if a section like this is created it could give them a platform to vent their anger and 'I'm leaving because of such and such - or because of so and so' which could then become quite negative reading towards the forum.

We are always happy to listen to suggestions, so we may create a poll to see what other members think. One thought we have had is to create a new section for non Auto-Sleeper motorhome owners, as many of you will be aware we get a few new members signing up who don't actually own an Auto-Sleeper and this would give them a dedicated section to post in without them feeling shut out. This section could simply be called 'Motorhome forum for non Auto-Sleeper owners' While we welcome all, the forum is fundamentally designed for those who either currently own an Auto-Sleeper, as well as those who are interested in finding out more about Auto-Sleepers with a view to actually purchasing one.

Ann - Yes, we have a number of female members who do post quite frequently.
Hopefully the recent introduction of the Female and Male gender icons in side profiles will help make this more obvious.

Regards

Admin.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

View user profile http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:34 pm

I think the section for non Auto-Sleeper owners is a more constructive idea. Some people think Auto-Sleeper is just another name for campervan and only to find out their mistake when they join.
Seems churlish to tell them you don't want to know them because they don't own the correct vehicle. (Not me, I'll talk to anybody up! -almost!) And they may gain enlightenment while they are under our influence and buy a genuine Auto-Sleeper content

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stuartneale1 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:25 pm

Hello,

I am about to put my two pennyworth in for whatever it is worth. I am not usually a forum type of guy, and I come from the school of if it's not broken don't fix it, and if all else fails read the manual!

I have had a camper van for years, and it was not until I bought a Renault Rimini that I have ever joined anything being of the belief that why would I want to join something that would have me as a member. hugegrins

Probably I like most was surfing the net looking for information on a certain topic, and in my case found it on the RTMR site, I joined RTMR (yes one of Franks lot!), clicked on the reciprocal links, and found this site.

What a fantastic site, but very daunting for new members, the wealth of knowledge, and information provided is amazing, but does unfortunately come from a hard core of members, and plucking up enough courage to add anything does takes some doing.

I would guess that the majority of the site initially joined in search of information, found the answers to their questions, and are now quite happy to view the posts, see what has been written, put some of it into play, but say nothing.

To be honest we have nothing to add the main contributors have solved the problems usually by the time we get out of bed, and that is what most of us are looking for.

Yes it is nice if you can add a bit, but the service is so good there is usually links to Ebay, other posts, or weird and wonderful sites that most of us never knew existed! why do we need to post when you guys do such a fantastic job?

All I can say is this site works the contributors know what they are talking about, and most of us would not know a 3/8" nut on a pig tail if it hit us in the face! but the rest of us are obviously happy just to look on in amazement, and enjoy the information and banter long may it continue allthumbz

Stuart
stuartneale1
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Rimini

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Members Joining.

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi all,

I agree with comments with regards introductions, common courtesy to introduce yourself, as you would I hope if meeting in person for the first time.

I would not expect anyone to just walk up to me in the street and start firing questions at me. (Although this does sometimes happen!) scratch head

When I joined, I posted a 'thank you' to all those who welcomed me (us) to the fold, and thanks again for the help and entertaining 'banter' exchanged so far!!! allthumbz

Kind regards,

Mike and Chris D

drinksallround

Back to top Go down

Post by plattypus on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi all, I agree with having a 'Motorhome section'.
As already mentioned it's a good place for would be A/S owners to contribute but also it would be a great place to bring in technical problems and answers on base vehicles. There are thousands of VWs, Boxers, Transits etc...
out there. So whether its an A/S. Auto Trail. or whatever the Base vehicles all have the same problems. confused3

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 2006 Symbol ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stuartneale1 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:28 am

Just had a thought scratch head

I do not think the people who do not introduce themselves do so deliberately to be awkward or rude confused3

It is possible that those who do not introduce themselves may either just be looking for information or do not understand how these things are supposed to work, or that this is not part of the Autosleeper web site where they can ask any questions they want!

I also understand that it is only polite to introduce yourself first before asking questions etc, and can see why some take umbrage at those who do not shrugg

Now the thought! could the introduction be made part of the registration procedure, so anyone joining has to complete a box giving a few details, that way other than the active members having more hello's to say, the protocol is followed.

I did have another thought, which I am sorry for, and apologise in advance snigger If the site charges a small fee,it would attract only those who have a genuine interest not the onlookers! Sorry but it is the accountant in me!

Stuart
stuartneale1
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:49 am

Hi Stuart,
I think your idea of the intro being part of the registration process is a good idea but I'm afraid I don't think much of your second brainwave think_smiley_46

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by orian on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:21 am

Hi Stuart,

I like your first suggestion assuming it can be done without rebuilding the website; no doubt Admin will comment.

Like Frank, I would prefer to keep the forum free with the opportunity for members to make contributions as they see fit. If the running costs become too high then perhaps reluctantly we would need to seriously think about introducing membership fees; I hope not.

I would like to think that the benefits we receive from the collective knowledge on this forum would lead us to make voluntary contributions so that the management are not left footing all of the cost.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stuartneale1 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:30 am

I agree totally forget my second Idea I must have had a mental block or something to do with Age or insanity hugegrins

Stuart
stuartneale1
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:40 am

Just had a trawl through the stats and 880 members have never posted at all!

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi Frank.

I dont have a problem with non posters. Quite a few people just like to read the posts and do their own thing. If something crops up that they are really interested in they will join in then. smile!
Like yourself I think it is only polite to introduce yourself to the forum members before wading in with questions about this and that. They don't seem to realize that members are more forth coming with answers and help after a formal introduction. think_smiley_46 Besides Admin could not make it more clear on the forum opening page. look here

Ho Hum. In a perfect world. Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:38 pm

boxerman wrote:Just had a trawl through the stats and 880 members have never posted at all!

Frank

This has always been a problem for us Frank.... for sometime we tried to address this by contacting silent members to encourage them to either introduce themselves or join in discussion or face deletion, the response from many of these members was shockingly rude and in some cases abusive.... we always think it's funny how they can put the effort into being so rude in response to a simple request but cant use the same effort to join in on the forum shrugg

Most forums don't even show member statistics like we do... they claim to have many thousands of members but omit to say how many of these are actually inactive or non posting accounts. All forums will have a high percentage of "Silent Members" (wikipedia quotes as many as 90% of online groups are made up lurkers or silent members) also duplicate registrations etc which will add to these numbers.

Quote from wikipedia: In Internet culture, a lurker is a person who reads discussions on a message board, newsgroup, chatroom, file sharing, social networking site, or other interactive system, but rarely or never participates actively. Research indicates that "lurkers make up over 90% of online groups"

It's a great shame that more of these members don't join in especially when everyone on this site is so friendly... look here

CC

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next