Changing Cupboard Catches

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Changing Cupboard Catches

Post by scrumpyjack14 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi All!
We have just purchased a 1998 Trident and are busy sorting out odds and ends and generally smartening it up. smile!
All the cupboard catches looked very tired so we have ordered a new set from Grasshopper Leisure.

However, in measuring the current ones I took one apart (just undoing the 2 screws at the back) and have spotted a bit of a problem. The rosette/button-surround appears to be glued into the cupboard door! confused3 scratch head

Has anyone any suggestions on how best to get the old surround out - without damaging the cupboard door? Or am I imagining things and they just need a good shove to remove them??

Many thanks,
Steve
scrumpyjack14

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trident

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing Cupboard Catches

Post by boxerman on Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:02 pm

If they've been there for 14 years, they are probably just a bit stuck? try a bit of gentle force.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:49 pm

They are NOT glued in place, I turned up a steel mandrel exactly the same dia as the ring, (25mm) then a gentle tap with a hammer & they popped out.

They have raised 'ribs' that bite into the hole, so I placed a bit of clean cloth over the new ones & taped in place with a wood block, I bought ALL

new ( about 20 or so ) rings & knobs from autosleepers ( not complete catches ) & they were far cheaper than any I could find on the web etc.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scrumpyjack14 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:35 pm

modelman wrote:
They are NOT glued in place, I turned up a steel mandrel exactly the same dia as the ring, (25mm) then a gentle tap with a hammer & they popped out.

They have raised 'ribs' that bite into the hole, so I placed a bit of clean cloth over the new ones & taped in place with a wood block, I bought ALL

new ( about 20 or so ) rings & knobs from autosleepers ( not complete catches ) & they were far cheaper than any I could find on the web etc.

Thank you very much - we will give that a try!

Steve
scrumpyjack14

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trident

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum