The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Executive L.E? - - I dont think so - - -

+5
boxerman
Paulmold
roli
fluffles
andydiamond
9 posters

Go down

New Executive L.E? - - I dont think so - - - Empty New Executive L.E? - - I dont think so - - -

Post by andydiamond Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:14 pm

Sold my Gatcombe, thought we might have a new(ish) executive - - -

Went to M- - - -, they had two Executive Limited Edition models on the forecourt.

Price £52,995 (good value at that sir, they are £60,000 new) £$%^&$ !

First one had a gap round the habitation door I could have driven a coach through - - - -

We will adjust that for you sir, - - - HOW? weld a frame round the door? - - - there is too much doorway and not enough door !!

And will you "adjust" all the rusty wheelnuts while you are at it?

Second one had the same door gap, AND the rusty wheelnuts, AND the washroom door handle was broken - - - -

Perhaps they have put the young apprentices on building this model? ( the ones who can't read, add up, or speak and write proper English when they leave school )

Salesman clearly thought I was a fussy old b - - - -r, still, I went home with my cash and left him with the vans, so I reckon I won that one!

Now the hunt is on for a DECENT executive, and that is going to have to be an earlier one, built when people took a pride in their work, and could make things to the correct size off a drawing - - - -

It's a hard life sometimes, innit?

Andy.

andydiamond
andydiamond
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

New Executive L.E? - - I dont think so - - - Empty Re: New Executive L.E? - - I dont think so - - -

Post by fluffles Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:59 am

andydiamond

Was there any specific reason why you sold the Gatcombe? I love the drive of our VW t4 tdi, but still "hanker" after an Executive on Pug chassis 2.8HDI, although the newest model doesn't do a lot for me.

fluffles allthumbz

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot executive

Back to top Go down

New Executive L.E? - - I dont think so - - - Empty Re: New Executive L.E? - - I dont think so - - -

Post by andydiamond Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:11 am

We are looking for a 4 berth to take the grandkids away in now and again.

The gatcombe also feels a teeny bit small when away for a week ( fine for the weekend)

Andy.
andydiamond
andydiamond
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:10 pm

You would struggle to get four in an Executive

Regarding the doors, they are easily fixed by Cheltenham Laminates (did our old Exec in less than 30minutes) who make the monocoque shells but I wouldnt trust the outfit in Preston (presumably) to touch my lawn mower let alone the Execs door alignment
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffles Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:58 pm

Agree entirely now you have mentioned it. The bed making in the Clubman feels hard work, which was why we thought front swivels might help. We sleep across the 'van, found this easier than the singles and fafing about with the front seats. The blinds drive me round the twist never found anything so censored! bad. We do have a dog so almost 3 of us. We wanted to downsize and have something easier for days out, days "in sunny hunny", free all day parking on cliff top road etc.etc, but feel that perhaps this may be to far (I'm not getting younger and not very agile). We wonder if the slight extra inch's of the Pug Executive/Talisman will make much differance on the road/parking. They certainly feel better inside. I mention the Talisman as we may look at one tom. Would be pleased to hear how you get on and any comments you have. We have looked at a Murvi and Timberland, but not sure about weeks away in one. And they are not an Autosleeper!

fluffles think_smiley_46

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:28 pm

andydiamond wrote:The gatcombe also feels a teeny bit small when away for a week ( fine for the weekend)Andy.

You want to try a fortnight in a Symphony!!! but then again Dutto spends much longer in his Duetto
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:29 pm

Paulmold wrote:
andydiamond wrote:The gatcombe also feels a teeny bit small when away for a week ( fine for the weekend)Andy.

You want to try a fortnight in a Symphony!!! but then again Dutto spends much longer in his Duetto

We've just had six weeks in ours up!

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:41 pm

boxerman wrote:
Paulmold wrote:

We've just had six weeks in ours up!

Frank

I probably take up more room than you Frank.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi Andy Diamond.

I to have been browsing around looking to maybe upgade. Have you had a look at the Broadway? same layout as my old Exec just a shade larger, makes for a far better wash/shower WC room. I looked at the two they had at Lowdam Caravans in Notts 2009 model at 35K and a 2010 model at 40K the 2010 was the all bells and whistles model flat screen tv/ solar panel/ microwave/ two leisure batteries plus loads of other goodies. So the Broadway might increase your choice.

Hi Fluffles.

The older type Exec/Talisman is really easy to drive, if you take note a lot of women drive them because they do not seem heavy with the power steering. I find that I can park my Exec. in most Tesco car parking bays no problem. If I park at the side of the road I fold in the wing mirrors so they don't get clipped by other vehicles and pedestrians don't walk into them. Pity you are not closer to me you could have a go in mine before you make up your mind.

Cheers. Whisky. champagne

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Whisky is right to point out, the monocoques are narrow and will fit in most car parks

You would notice the difference with a Broadway, which was the replacement for the Sigma and similar interior and lengthwise to the Windsor.
You get more leg room (passageway) and a bigger bathroom and the luton is usable as a bed being wider and higher,,,,, but it is wider than the Execs/Talisman.

Whilst the current X250 engines seem to perform better than the old Boxer engines they dont have the same power as the Tranny.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by andydiamond Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi All,

We are now thinking seriously about a Windsor, the (slightly different) seating arrangement suits us well, and we can stay away from the Sevel judder with a Transit - - - -

(Looked at an '09 Sigma yesterday, salesman showed us recall docs for judder - - - thought they had got rid of that by '08? - - - it was a late '09 too!)

Can live with the extra width, but as Whisky said, the monocoques fit car parks etc. better - - -

- - - - just missed a nice Windsor in Preston, so the hunt is on now, maybe I'll change my "executive wanted" ad -

Andy.
andydiamond
andydiamond
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

New Executive L.E? - - I dont think so - - - Empty bought an '05 executive - - -

Post by andydiamond Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:56 pm

Finally - - - we found a mint '05 14K miles from new Executive in Preston.

Fluffles, you asked for thoughts on Clubman or Exec - - - First impressions are a feeling of more space,

(there's not much in it outside, but feels like a lot inside)

Blinds are the more modern pull down pleated ones, MUCH easier to use, and don't go SCHAZAAAM and fly back up in the middle of the night, or just as Elaine is getting changed on a busy campsite - - -

Engine pulls like a train, rest of the outfit is pure classic Monocoque A.S. style - - - just like our Gatcombe, which we loved dearly.

You would feel very "at home" in one of these vans.

You couldn't get a ciggy paper in the habitation door when shut - - - which rather brings me back to my first post on this topic - - -

AND the whole lot cost less than HALF what the sensored1 wanted for the "limited edition" one - quick_run

See you all further down the road,

Andy.
andydiamond
andydiamond
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffles Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:05 am

andydiamond

Glad you found one & it sounds good. This must be one of the last built? We did go and look at an 04 talisman, lovely in the later colours and livery etc. Impressed with the pull out extra work top above the fridge, the power switch for the radio in the lounge and the external aerial mounted on the r/hand side of the overcab. Faster than your old Gatcombe? I was reading an old 03 MMM & looking at the dimensions quoted fot the Gatcombe & Executive and thought it must be & misprint! Same width,and less tham a foot longer.
We liked the Talisman, but didn't think we could live with the layout (dinett opp. sofa) and I tried making the beds which I found difficult, so no go
Problem is, there are very few (if any) nice late Exec's around at the moment with in a fair range. Hope you get some great fun and trips in her

Sorry to all those people out there with Talismans, no offence was intended by my remarks.

fluffles BravoSmiley

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by andydiamond Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi Fluffles,

We had a Talisman for about a year, enjoyed it lots, apart from the beds - - - Elaine didn't like the dinnette made up into a single, too much "faffing" and not really comfy.( We always make up two singles)

Also we got the dreaded window water leaks, and when the plumbing under the sink "let go" and filled the area with water we changed to the Gatcombe - - -

We did have all the faults rectified before moving on, the van was probably fine after that, but the bed issue remained - - - -

The late executives do come up from time to time, there are a couple of nice ones on Ebay/Autotrader at the moment. The only snag is they go fast, so you have to move quickly to avoid disappointment - - -

Good Luck searching,

Andy.
andydiamond
andydiamond
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dago Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Got our 07 Executive 2.8 pug, a year ago last March.
We were looking at a new Burstner (just looking honest hugegrins ). when alongside we saw Nancy.
The Showroom had just opened and the salesman was giving us some details when another pair of chaps turned up & asked about the Executive. We took ages going over the van & finally agreed that it was perfect for us moving up from Hilda (Symbol).

So the other 2 lost out, and have yet to be anything but delighted with our choice. We have since looked at several new limited editions and I think that the build quality is not good.

Ours has the facility to sleep a couple of small children above the cab, but we use it as a bedding store. 2 or 3 weeks travelling is not a problem, except when Mr's D snores Whistle1
Have since added cruise control & a Glomex dish by Phil at Rhinoinstalls & a purpose made towbar that can take 2 electric bikes & chairs etc, or pull my double trailer for my sailing days.

It fit's quite nicely on the front drive at home and can easily fit into most supermarkets, unless 10p a litre promotions are going on lol4

Probably until retirement means that we can hopefully spend more time away travelling, I see no reason to change vans, as it really does suit the 2 of us.

Possibly the only downside, is having to make the bed up before going out for a late night event, be it a boozy one or indeed a sober ish time. We have often forgotten or just ignored this fact, and it does tend to spoil the evening, if you are fiddling around when all you want is to get your head down

Super Donator & ASOF Supporter

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : 2007 Executive
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by andydiamond Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi Dago,

Sounds like you dropped on a real cracker there - - -

We attend a lot of weekend music events, so usually parked in pub/village hall type car parks with no hook-up. To my surprise, after we bought the van I found out it had an 80w solar panel fitted - - - lucky or what?

We always make up two single beds before we go out, just a case of pulling the seats out slightly and chucking the sleeping bags on, but it is better to do this before the beer starts flowing! drinksallround

Regards,

Andy. peace

andydiamond
andydiamond
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dago Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi Andy,

Interestingly enough we think that the previous owner also had had a large solar unit bolted onto the roof bars. Unfortunately it had been removed before we bought the van, but all the wiring was still in place.

We now use a portable unit 13w which keeps everything topped up. Mind you we do have a couple of leisure battery fitted totaling 200amp, as part of our purchase barter up!

Dago

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : 2007 Executive
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by andydiamond Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi Dago

200 amps - - - - you could start a mobile welding business with that!!

Andy.
andydiamond
andydiamond
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Patty123 Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:15 pm

We love our 05 Executive, and had it 2 years now, after part exchanging our Symbol we had only had for a year. It has just been serviced and passed its MOT, we have just put on new tyres this week, as there was the original still on and as the garge said they were beginning to perish even though there was plenty of thread left, rather be safe than sorry!

We have been away for 4 and 6 week periods in ours, and its been great, as most of the time we are out and about, exploring, sightseeing, walking the dogs etc.

I think it would be a bit cramped with the grandchildren though, we use the overhead (mattress etc. removed) for storing bedding, lightweight chairs and few extra clothes for long trips.

Best thing we did was changing to the Executive.

Patty
Patty123
Patty123

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:21 am

Paulmold wrote:

Hi there,

"Petal" still ticks all our boxes but I think we are cheating a bit by towing a trailer and having a Wind-blocker! Whistle1

The attached photograph shows "Petal" with her new wings and not even a tiny bit of rust in sight; so hopefully she will keep ticking all the boxes for a few years yet!

New Executive L.E? - - I dont think so - - - Petalnewpanels

We used Haltham Garage (between Coningsby and Horncastle) and we are thoroughly impressed with their work. Obviously, it will take at least a year before we can fully endorse everything as being OK but it looks to be excellent.

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down