Seized padlock

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Seized padlock

Post by Chinaexplorer on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:45 pm

I know this sounds pathetic, but I can't get the padlock off the ladders. Marquis provided a new padlock on the ladders when we bought the van just over a year ago and I haven't had cause to touch it since. Today I decided to take a look at the roof and couldn't get the padlock off. The key turns about 60 degrees but the padlock won't open. It was obviously a cheap lock as the shackle has gone a bit rusty. I have tried WD40 and giving it a bang with a hammer but no luck. I guess I will have to borrow some bolt croppers unless somebody has a more gentle idea. confused3
Chinaexplorer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Seized padlock

Post by CC on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Think I would go the bolt cropper route.. then invest in a proper outdoor weather resistant padlock to avoid the same problem in the future.. Good luck & hopefully you can get it sorted up!

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:26 am

Heat is great for releasing stubborn objects ..... maybe not a blowlamp in this case in case you damage the surroundings, but a couple of kettles of boiling water might do the trick.

If not, the bolt croppers or angle grinder (careful!!)

cheers Bobk
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat

Post by Chinaexplorer on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks BobK. I have now tried heat as you suggested. I have a hot air blower used for stripping paint and gave the lock a good heat all round before giving another bash with a couple of hammers. Still no luck. I thought that I could cut through the ladder retaining clip instead of the lock, which has a hardened shackle, but I have contacted Autosleeper and the parts can't be replaced, so I am reluctant to do that. So its back to square 1!
Chinaexplorer
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Siezed padlock

Post by murph on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:54 am

Hi China,
Even a Hardened shackle will not resist an angle grinder fitted with a cutting disc.

Brian2
murph

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:23 am

If it is a cheap padlock, just put something (like a stout piece of wood, or metal) inside the hasp part and twist it against itself and it will fall apart, done this many times at work when the £1.00 padlock, guarding a £10000.00s worth of cake finally give up the ghost (I kid you not)

hugegrins gimmefive
Pete
breakaleg

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hillwalker on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi,
If all else fails, get a local towrag to use this method (Copy and Paste into Google)

How To Pick A Combo Lock Video

"H"

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sorted!

Post by Chinaexplorer on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:52 pm

Tried everything else - angle grinder sorted it in the end! Replacement lock purchased - has drain hole in the side (as lock mounts horizontally). Will be opening it frequently in the hope that it doesn't go the same way!

rainyday
Chinaexplorer
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum