The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"I don't believe it!"

+4
Groper
deckie
tcarne
CC
8 posters

Go down

"I don't believe it!" Empty "I don't believe it!"

Post by CC Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:07 pm

Back from a 16 night break as some of you will know already...

While away I logged onto my online banking the middle of last week to transfer some money over to pay my credit card only to find some censored! censored! has emptied out my bank account confused0 so_sad Got onto Nationwide and notified them immediately, quoting the bank account number and confirming that I also hold a cash builder account and an ISA and instructed them I wanted my flex account debit card cancelled straight away and to be sent a new card to avoid a similar incident happening again (the individual/s have taken two large amounts consecutively) was told the card was cancelled forthwith and was instructed to go into my local branch when I returned home to fill out a form stating the payments taken from the account are fraudulent which we did this morning only to be told the card had not even been cancelled so angry so angry but they had instead cancelled a cashbuilder card that had a grand total of £17 in it and hasn't even been used for a couple of years!! and I trust these people with my money piggybank yikes

It seems whoever got hold of my card details has made two purchases for electrical equipment / computer equipment (that's as vague as it all is right now) and checked out online using 2CO.COM which I have never even heard of until now, a search on Google confirms this is quite common. Have filled in the forms and it now gets investigated before I know if I'm likely to be reimbursed or not, just hope the investigation team is more competent than the prat who cancelled the wrong card! fingersx

Still licking my wounds dummy dummy

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

"I don't believe it!" Empty Re: "I don't believe it!"

Post by tcarne Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:00 pm

i'm so sorry to hear your news cc

this really is the stuff of nightmares and one i dread having and it doesn't seem to matter how careful we are.

someone at your bank needs a roasting - they must have seen which account all the money had been taken from as soon as they put in your details.

i do hope they are not as shoddy about getting you reimbursed and perhaps catching the blighter.

such a crumby end to your holiday too.

look after yourself and try not to fume for too long.

tc

tcarne
tcarne

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:51 pm

What a sad end to your brilliant holiday, CC so angry …. we hope it all gets sorted soon.

Brian & Chris

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks TC & Deckie up!

Bad enough getting whacked by the coach at Pickering rolleyes decided he would crowd past while we were waiting at a roundabout clouting the top offside corner with his over sized mirrors
Upon looking at the damage, the driver said "ohhh that's nothing" at which point I reminded him it was a 30k vehicle! fight blasé prat so angry
Coach company boss then says nothing a bit of T-cut wont fix... you gotta just love em tap_fingers

Anyway, doubt they will catch the culprit who emptied my bank account police but as long as I get my funds back piggybank I'm not too bothered about that, never had anything like this happen before so not sure how likely it is I will get reimbursed... hopefully it will turn out OK... other than these two problems we had a great trip content

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Groper Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Sorry to hear of your troubles CC.
Obviously Nationwide have really made a mess of this.
Fortunately my experience with Nationwide was different.
We had been up in Scotland for a couple of weeks and when we returned home there were several telephone calls on the answering machine asking us to contact the security people urgently(also a letter saying they could not contact us by telephone and to ring them urgently).
Apparently my credit card had been skimmed and several transactions attempted.They were suspicious of these transactions and they were not approved.
My biggest problem was remembering my security question they required so that they could continue talking to me!!

Groper
Groper
Groper

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi Groper

The trouble is they have used my visa debit card, not a visa credit card... guess if it was a credit card they would have been alerted as both purchases were made consecutively on the same day and both quite high value purchases. (not usual behavior for my account) I know if it was a credit card then the company would take the hit as I understand anything over £100 they pay back but with a debit card I don't think it's quite as clear cut... as I hardly use my debit card for online transactions with exception of one purchase from Yeomans Outdoors, Sports Direct and a couple of purchases from Dabs and Novatech all of which were some time ago, and I cant really think of anything else I've used the card for.. will only be using my credit card in future for any purchases online rolleyes

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Groper Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi CC

Sorry,did not pay enough attention to the detail of your post.
My one complaint about my dealings with Nationwide over my card was that they were not interested when I told them I was almost certain where the card had been skimmed.I had only used it twice as SWMBO has always said it is safer to pay in cash in places which you feel you cannot trust(i.e. some petrol stations).

Groper

Last edited by Groper on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : word added to make sentence readable)
Groper
Groper

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi there,

Really sorry to hear that!!

Risking "stable door" and "after horse has bolted" criticism - it is the reason we have a Savings Account with money in it (no more than £2,000) and Current Account with Debit Card with no more than £1,000 in it at any given time!

Luckily (and it really is pure luck most of the time) we have had no trouble with the Debit Card however, our Visa Credit Card was cloned earlier on this year and some scum-bag ran up a £650 bill on it.

Here is the good news!!! It only took FOUR transactions before the fraud team at Barclaycard picked up the fact that it was not me using the card!

They were truly amazing; especially as I use the card for all major transactions in the UK, especially on the Internet. (I use the card on the basis that it is NOT my money they are stealing so I have some protection!)

Anyway, to cut a long story short:

o Barclaycard sent me a text "Please give us a call we think your card is being abused."

o I phoned them and we ran through the "not mine" list.

o I cut up my card.

o Two days later my new card arrived.

o A week later the Claim Form arrived.

o At the end on the month the statement showed the "fraudulent" items as "debits" and corresponding "credits" that cancelled them out. All back to normal.

I just hope the b censored! s get their just deserts!

Best regards,
drinksallround

PS One evening in Nantes, in the days when they used a peculiar printing machine and signed the receipts, the owner of a restaurant chastised my for giving him my card and allowing it out of my sight!

"You do realise that I could run off three or four receipts and you wouldn't know until you got back to England?" he said in a rather superior tone!

"You do realise that, as I live in Nantes, if you did I would burn your restaurant down?" I replied.

I like to think I stopped his inclination towards crime there and then; oh, and I didn't actually live in Nantes! allthumbz
drinksallround

Last edited by Dutto on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add PS!)

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:35 pm

A couple of years ago we received a letter from Barclays telling us that a cheque could not be honoured due to lack of funds. So down to local branch to discover that the cheque involved was printed with all the details of a savings account we had which did not have cheque books. So someone had gone to the trouble of printing a cheque-book in our name with the account details from our savings account. I asked where could the details have been obtained and the only answer was it had to be an inside job or perhaps a bank statement had been intercepted. Luckily the fact that it was not a cheque-book account had drawn the banks attention, so we had to close the account and open a new one. So it's not always your card that gets cloned - maybe not all bank employees are honest and maybe neither are postmen.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

"I don't believe it!" Empty Re-I don't believe it

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi Duetto
I had to bring my wife to the P.C to read your p.s on the last topic, you always make me laugh at your experiences, the topic about the children on camping pitches had me in fits too. lol4
On a more serious note, our Barclaycard visa was tanned last July, as you mention it took the fraud centre a few days to catch up to us as we were up in Yellowcraigs near Edinburgh.
Almost the same path of events to claim our money back, we keep very little in the current account now and pay cash for fuel, local shopping on tour, most things under a £100.
We have had other problems over the years, with I.D theft and missing mail, any important letters with credit card numbers, NI numbers, Tax details, etc all get posted special delivery or first class signed for.
Its a pity these days, the things that are meant to save you time and money end up costing you in the end.

Hi CC
As I said in my p.m, I hope you can get your hard earned money refunded.
boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:52 pm

A friend went on holiday and paid for his post to be held.
A sorting office worker sold info to a third party of all those on holiday
The third party then went and burgled.......twelve properties in total
They were both arrested and sentenced etc (Not long enough!!) but none of the items stolen were ever recovered.

.......and Royal Mail call this service.........'Keepsafe'!! Whistle1

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi there,

I just had to give the "other side"!

In another world (UK 1960's) when people went on holiday they told their local nick that the house would be unoccupied and a beat copper (your's truly) went and checked the property AT LEAST ONCE EVERY NIGHT whilst they were away.

One evening the man on the desk in Louth police station received a phone call from a very frightened local lady who whispered that "a man in a top-hat and a cape" had just been round her house "trying the doors and shining a light in all the windows"!!

Questioning revealed that "Yes." she had returned from holiday a few days early and "Yes." it may have been a policeman (me) in a helmet and cape (it was raining) "casing the joint"!M

Remember those days??

Best regards,
drinksallround

Oh, another one!!

Woman walking her dog phones the local nick in Horncastle "Four masked men have just driven out of Horncastle on the Louth road, at high speed, in a black car!"

I set up a road-block in Louth and (without any body armour, Uzi machine gun, Tazer, Stinger or the help of 24 fellow officers) I duly stopped a black Ford Prefect with four young lads in it.

I explained the report.

The lads roared with laughter, and I soon followed suit!

Apparently, the driver had farted and, so disgusted by the products of his own bowels, had dragged his polo-neck sweater up and over his nose.

When the gentle aroma had reached the olfactory organs of his passengers they had followed suit and the lady walking her dog had seen the result!

I dread to think what would have happened had the car been reported today; especially after what happened recently on the M6 Toll Road!!!
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:08 pm

Just an update...

Nationwide have issued me my new visa debit cards and have replaced the money in my account that was taken... sounds great but then the letter goes on to say

"In order to investigate your dispute, we will contact the retailers bank. Nationwide has no control over the final decision of your dispute. This decision will be made by the retailers bank. In light of this, should your case be declined, we reserve the right to re-debit your account giving you 7 days notice"

At least it's a step in the right direction shrugg still a bit worrying that I might just end up losing it again anyway scratch head

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks for the update CC ....... Fingers crossed fingersx fingersx

Brian

PS ..... In the light of your experience, we have changed the way we handle our Cards (never too old to learn gimmefive )

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:38 pm

Close your account with Nationwide?

Is that an option?

PB

think_smiley_46