The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CClub or C&CClub which do I join?

+17
matchlessman
Dutto
Johno
ubuntu1
-mojo-
deckie
Paulmold
petern
Ann B
CC
terrybrinklow
Minniesmum
Beatty
sapper997
roli
murph
ginner38
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

CClub or C&CClub which do I join? - Page 2 Empty Re: CClub or C&CClub which do I join?

Post by Paulmold Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:43 pm

Minniesmum wrote: But no details whatsoever about approximate location of host sites. Think I'd want to know more about locations before investing.....

Thats the idea, you pay for the information, otherwise people would just go and Britstops wouldn't make any money.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

CClub or C&CClub which do I join? - Page 2 Empty Re: CClub or C&CClub which do I join?

Post by Minniesmum Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Paulmold wrote:
Minniesmum wrote: But no details whatsoever about approximate location of host sites. Think I'd want to know more about locations before investing.....

Thats the idea, you pay for the information, otherwise people would just go and Britstops wouldn't make any money.
Can understand that but even an approximate location ( nearest town ) would be helpful in routeplanning.

Female

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

Back to top Go down

CClub or C&CClub which do I join? - Page 2 Empty Which club to join ?

Post by terrybrinklow Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:32 pm

CruizingComet wrote:I will wait for a logical response as to why it is considered "fair" that because you are of senior age why it is your privilege to be entitled to a cheaper pitch fee as apposed to a 48 yr old like myself who pays the full price? Out of interest do disabled campers get site discounts and if not why not?

CC
To answer your last question NO ,the only thing disabled badge holders some times get is alocated a pitch near to the toilet block, when requested ; where and when the warden can oblige.
Terry
terrybrinklow
terrybrinklow
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Minniesmum wrote:I'm a " beach-bum" and between both clubs have managed to find a nice selection of coastal locations. I was in the C and CClub only for 3 years, but looked at the CC site map and decided it was worth joining as well. Have just spent 5 nights at Seaview CC site near Berwick- fab. But also love Dunbar which is C and CC. up!

Another "beach bum" here, wave some of my favourite sites are Beadnal Bay and Rosemarkie both C&CC New England Bay and Dunnet Bay both CC so I have no option but to be a member of both clubs. content

All four of these sites are adjacent to lovely beaches great for strolling, dog walking and beach combing and whatever else can be done on a beach rolleyes

The only downside being the 500 plus miles drive from "Sunny" Kent to get to these gorgeous destinations but it's worth it allthumbz

Roll on the better weather smile!

Cheers John up!
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:31 pm

Johno wrote:
Minniesmum wrote:I'm a " beach-bum" and between both clubs have managed to find a nice selection of coastal locations. I was in the C and CClub only for 3 years, but looked at the CC site map and decided it was worth joining as well. Have just spent 5 nights at Seaview CC site near Berwick- fab. But also love Dunbar which is C and CC. up!

Another "beach bum" here, wave some of my favourite sites are Beadnal Bay and Rosemarkie both C&CC New England Bay and Dunnet Bay both CC so I have no option but to be a member of both clubs. content

All four of these sites are adjacent to lovely beaches great for strolling, dog walking and beach combing and whatever else can be done on a beach rolleyes

The only downside being the 500 plus miles drive from "Sunny" Kent to get to these gorgeous destinations but it's worth it allthumbz

Roll on the better weather smile!

Cheers John up!
Thanks John up! Beadnell is great too. I go bodyboarding at Embleton Beach near Dunstanburgh Castle -close to the C and CC site there. Yep a long drive from Kent ! Will check out your other favs smile!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:49 pm

CruizingComet wrote:I will wait for a logical response as to why it is considered "fair" that because you are of senior age why it is your privilege to be entitled to a cheaper pitch fee as apposed to a 48 yr old like myself who pays the full price? Out of interest do disabled campers get site discounts and if not why not?

CC

With regard to your specific questions"

o "...... because you are of senior age why it is your privilege to be entitled to a cheaper pitch fee"?

Two main reasons:

1) They need our business and we are the ones that use the facilities when people who are at work just come out at weekends and holidays.

2) We are much less likely to abuse/break the facilities than those who descend on the sites with a bunch of out-of-control kids.

o "Out of interest do disabled campers get site discounts and if not why not?"

As far as I know the answer is "No."

However, if you book ahead and ask I find that most sites will reserve a plot near the toilet block or other facilities. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:52 pm

The bonus at Beadnell Bay is a great little Fish & Chip shop a few minutes walk away, tooooo tempting, wellhappy but you can always burn off the calories walking on those miles of lovely sandy beaches rolleyes

Cheers John up!
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Johno wrote:The bonus at Beadnell Bay is a great little Fish & Chip shop a few minutes walk away, tooooo tempting, wellhappy but you can always burn off the calories walking on those miles of lovely sandy beaches rolleyes

Cheers John up!
you are correct up! my fav bit of coastline for beach walks smile! I think Beadnell site has EHU this year as well. I also love Holy Island but alas no camping of course but close to Berwick site hugegrins

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Dutto wrote:

CC

With regard to your specific questions"

o "...... because you are of senior age why it is your privilege to be entitled to a cheaper pitch fee"?

Two main reasons:

1) They need our business and we are the ones that use the facilities when people who are at work just come out at weekends and holidays.

2) We are much less likely to abuse/break the facilities than those who descend on the sites with a bunch of out-of-control kids.

o "Out of interest do disabled campers get site discounts and if not why not?"

As far as I know the answer is "No."

However, if you book ahead and ask I find that most sites will reserve a plot near the toilet block or other facilities. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

My point Ian has nothing to do with respect for anyone... I'm talking about "Fairness" scratch head

Anyway, whatever I'm done attempting discussing it.... not going to get bothered by all of it gimmefive

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Have been members of the Camping & Caravanning Club (the friendly club) for many years, with tents, with our first motorhome (worn out VW with a pop top) and the Hymer we had before our current Symbol. We have always had a good welcome when arriving on sites, whereas on the few occasions we have used CC sites the people have always seemed 'snooty', looking down on our humble accomodation.

We tend to use small independants more nowadays although we still keep up our membership.

Much of our travelling is now in France where we tend to use the 'France Passion' or 'Aires' rather than campsites. And no, we do not feel threatened on an Aire or when wild camping in France, despite all the stories. - I have never actually met anybody who has had a problem.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:40 pm

Perhaps I've been lucky, but I've never experienced any " snootiness " at a CC site or at any site fot that matter. Both have their good points and am considering joining Britstops as well as have only heard good reports about their host sites up!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:49 pm

We've only experienced 'snootiness' on the CC rallies which we used to attend but haven't done for several years now. There was always an element of 'keeping up with Joneses' amongst the caravanners.

One rally which I will always remember was when the marshalls were running the rally for the first time. The Marshall and his wife had been told that on the Sunday morning they had to hold a coffee morning and he was expected to 'dress proper' with a tie. He did, but thats all he wore. The district chairman, who was rallying there, was quick to remove him and he never ran a rally again.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:54 pm

Paulmold wrote:We've only experienced 'snootiness' on the CC rallies which we used to attend but haven't done for several years now. There was always an element of 'keeping up with Joneses' amongst the caravanners.

One rally which I will always remember was when the marshalls were running the rally for the first time. The Marshall and his wife had been told that on the Sunday morning they had to hold a coffee morning and he was expected to 'dress proper' with a tie. He did, but thats all he wore. The district chairman, who was rallying there, was quick to remove him and he never ran a rally again.
snigger very funny Paul winks I've experienced snooty fellow campers at both club sites. ( Mostly VW motorhomers but we've already covered that one winks ) but site managers/wardens have always been helpful and friendly.

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Love it! lol4 lol4

I think the Forces call it "Dumb insolence!" hugegrins

drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Waves117 Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Minniesmum wrote: am considering joining Britstops up!

Seem to remember that if you join up at a show you get discount. up!

Paulmold wrote:
One rally which I will always remember was when the marshalls were running the rally for the first time. The Marshall and his wife had been told that on the Sunday morning they had to hold a coffee morning and he was expected to 'dress proper' with a tie. He did, but thats all he wore.

Excellent Paul. Made me chuckle to myself snigger

Waves117 wave

Waves117
Waves117
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : TRIDENT

Back to top Go down

CClub or C&CClub which do I join? - Page 2 Empty Britstops Etc

Post by murph Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi Dave,
Britstops has been mentioned, they have at my last check about 130 locations for £25 per year or part of year depending on when you join, but there is another organisation called motorhome stopover.co .UK with over 500 stopovers on their list which are almost all pubs for £30 per 12 months, though theoetically they are free, but I know that they have lost quite a number of stops because some people expect to stop without patronising the pub, naturally the oporators of all these sites expect you to visit their establishment and hopefully buy something, we, even if we dont have a meal in the establishment do normally at least have a drink each in return for being allowed to stop, about £5 is a cheap stop.

Brian2

murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:03 pm

I emailed Britstops yesterday and got a swift reply. They currently have 200 host sites in the Uk. They emailed me a location ( nearest town ) map which showed the distribution. The new guide is due out in Feb ( they are at the NEC show in Feb ) so I'll likely join mid Feb.

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Not sure if any members uses wildcamping.co.uk

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

they have a massive amount of wild camp places and also far more pub stop overs. Just another one to throw into the mix of choices

Wildcamping Map & POI User Guide

Now 5,045 places throughout England, Wales and Scotland in this new release!
That's 112 extra spots!

These are now provided as Wild Camp and Pub Stop files – there being 4709 wild camping locations and 336 pub stopovers spots.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Robbie wrote:Not sure if any members uses wildcamping.co.uk

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

they have a massive amount of wild camp places and also far more pub stop overs. Just another one to throw into the mix of choices

Wildcamping Map & POI User Guide

Now 5,045 places throughout England, Wales and Scotland in this new release!
That's 112 extra spots!

These are now provided as Wild Camp and Pub Stop files – there being 4709 wild camping locations and 336 pub stopovers spots.
Are their listings " recommendations as in no signs saying no overnight camping " or "definitely ok to stop-overs " ? I've stayed overnite in known wild-camping spots but had bother. I believe the Britstop ones are all businesses/farms where the proprietor has been asked and has granted stopover permission. Just trying to work out the differences between the 2. up!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:06 pm

Minniesmum wrote: Are their listings " recommendations as in no signs saying no overnight camping " or "definitely ok to stop-overs " ? I've stayed overnite in known wild-camping spots but had bother. I believe the Britstop ones are all businesses/farms where the proprietor has been asked and has granted stopover permission. Just trying to work out the differences between the 2. up!

When I was a "full" member on there and had access to the POI files, I found that what some folk saw as an acceptable place to stay were not acceptable to me. Passing places on single track roads, parking laybys on busy ones, near people's homes etc. Although "Canalsman" did his best to remove any that had "No overnight parking" signs on them, he couldn't find them all and on occasion, when you arrived, you were met with a big yellow sign.
Many "wildcampers" said that they ignored these signs anyway, which was one of the things I was at odds with them about.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:15 pm

boxerman wrote:
When I was a "full" member on there and had access to the POI files, I found that what some folk saw as an acceptable place to stay were not acceptable to me. Passing places on single track roads, parking laybys on busy ones, near people's homes etc. Although "Canalsman" did his best to remove any that had "No overnight parking" signs on them, he couldn't find them all and on occasion, when you arrived, you were met with a big yellow sign.
Many "wildcampers" said that they ignored these signs anyway, which was one of the things I was at odds with them about.

Frank

That will be human nature to abuse Frank but that's up to the individuals choice as always common sense should prevail, however with the sheer amount of locations they have its quite easy to get a spot to stop over for an evening. Wild camping caters for a different type of person rather than those that prefer to stay on a camp site every night.

Minniesmum wrote: I believe the Britstop ones are all businesses/farms where the proprietor has been asked and has granted stopover permission. Just trying to work out the differences between the 2. up!

Yes but as far as i am aware this does include many pubs which you can stop at anyways. Again as far as I know it i not for example 300 farms where park like a CL.

To be honest we have Never been refused at a pub where we asked to stop over if having a drink or something to eat.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:34 pm

Paulmold wrote:We've only experienced 'snootiness' on the CC rallies which we used to attend but haven't done for several years now. There was always an element of 'keeping up with Joneses' amongst the caravanners.

That's my kind of guy, Paul ....... full marks to him allthumbz

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Minniesmum wrote: I'm 58, was made redundant last May after 35 years service, have no income other than my deflated company pension, and am grateful for any discounts that are going. However you have a point. I think the Caravan Club mid-week discounts are much fairer as there is no age discrimination.

Hi Minniesmum...

Sorry I missed this earlier... I would also be inclined to agree that mid week discounts are much fairer as there is no age discrimination. I see my membership with the caravan club "equally as worthy" as any elderly member having travelled well over 7 thousand miles (in the last 12 months) around the UK using various caravan club sites (all year round not just in season) and paying the full going rate, for example our last pitch on New Years eve at Sandringham CC cost us £25 which makes having several days away a considerable sum.

A fairer system would be to reward members who use the facilities the most, who pay the most throughout the year perhaps by giving you vouchers that could be redeemed against future visits to other CC sites.

Please, without getting into any arguments as I did previously... Good luck to anyone who can get a discount, but it really does feel like you are picking up the cost difference and subsidising the overnight stays of other members.

CC

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:40 am

Thanks CC for acknowledging my comment that you have a point about the CC and C club over 55's discount. I'll reiterate my original opinion that I think the Caravan Club policy of mid-week discount for all, is fairer than the C and CC over 55's one. When I started getting the over 55's discount, I was still working full time. The mid-week off-peak discounts of the CC allow anyone to take advantage and save up to £3-4 per night as I do. up!

Last edited by Minniesmum on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:08 pm

Minniesmum wrote:Thanks CC for acknowledging my comment that you have a point about the CC and C club over 55's discount. I'll reiterate my original opinion that I think the Caravan Club policy of mid-week discount for all, is fairer than the C and CC over 55's one. When I started getting the over 55's discount, I was still working full time. The mid-week off-peak discounts of the CC allow anyone to take advantage and save up to £3-4 per night as I do. up!

I agree with that as a lot of people have to work weekends ie my wife works as a sister in A&E so we cannot enjoy a lot of weekends like most people due to the nature of her work. So a discount that is not biased towards older folk is much fairer system.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next