Thermal / Silver Screens

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thermal / Silver Screens

Post by CC on Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:37 am

As one or two of you already know (as I posted on another forum) I purchased some thermal screens for our Trident from Just Kampers a while back, which were supposed to be a tailor made fit, despite trying two sets that they sent me to try I eventually got a refund as the fit was pretty poor.

We wanted to buy some of the Silver Screens but the ordering process seems really behind the times, ie no online shop, you even have to ring to get a quote or to order, which in this day and age seems a bit daft to me scratch head This system must be loseing them potential orders, as we would have ordered some by now if the process was easier!

So just wondering which thermal covers / silver screens others use & how they fit?

Thanks All up!

CC

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Thermal / Silver Screens

Post by Paulmold on Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:34 am

I bought mine (internals) from Just Kampers, they don't just do them for VW's and they are a pretty good fit although they could have been a bit more generous as a little light gets around the edges as they curl a bit.
I managed to obtain an amount of left-over material from someone who had bought the DIY kit from Just Kampers and made the rear window ones myself with a lot of help from my wife to sew the edge binding on. The eyelet tool was included and I bought some suckers and eyelets from Just Kampers. You do get quite a bit of internal condensation on the front and side screens so I guess there are pros and cons to both the internal and external screens.
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:56 pm

I have always had Silver Screens aka JM Designs and they have always fitted ok.
Sometime after we had flogged the VW I met the chap on a site and asked him how he liked the van, all was ok but he had tried three different sets of screen covers from another company and non fitted. Told him we had had Silver Screens, he bought a set and they fitted.
I can understand your frustration at not being able to order via the net, but we always go, pay cash and get extra discount and the carriage charge knocked off and there is a good chippy not far from them.
I have a Taylormade bike cover which is very well made, you could try them for insulated screen covers

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:17 pm

Thanks Roli

I do agree they are probably the best fitting screen covers you can get (from what I've read & seen) just wish there was an easier way of getting them! The video on their site certainly shows them fitting extremely well, no point in having them if they flap in the wind and dont even make contact with the screen like those I got off just kampers.

Paul seems to have been lucky in getting a set that fitted fairly well, but even just kampers said they were very dissapointed by the fit when I sent them photos and gave a full no quible refund up!

As you indicate Roli, I do think they are the ones to go for! But I hate ringing people or firms to be honest, so maybe I will get the missis to ring them.

CC

Edit: Just noticed Paul your blinds are internal smile!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Groper on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:26 pm

We have two external screens made by Taylormade.Both are an excellent fit and work really well.Although it seems "old fashioned" to have to ring when you do get to them they are very helpful and on both occasions the screen arrived within 48 Hrs of placing the order.

Groper
Groper

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:20 pm

Hello Groper

Yes I've heard good reports of Taylormade covers also, thanks for your feedback up!

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Silver screens

Post by Gatcombeman on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi CC.
I bought my external silver screen from www.silverproducts.co.uk for my Gatcombe. Very good fit. They are apparently made in the same factory as silverscreens by the Son of Silverscreens. Mine cost £99.06 including postage and arrived in 3 days. Mine has the 'dayview' panel.
Hope this helps gimmefive
Gatcombeman
Gatcombeman

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : VW Gatcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:01 pm

Thanks Gatcombeman

I've heard about the father and son setup before, but had actually forgotten about Silver Products to be totally honest, so will give them a look! Thanks for reminding me hugegrins

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kenjones on Sat May 28, 2011 12:43 pm

I know I'm a bit late commenting. I bought Silver Screen direct from the works in Cleckheaton to replace some internal padded screens which take up too much room.
I am very pleased with them. Fitted in less than 2mins. and stay firm in all weathers. I even left them on through the worst of the winter. Since buying them I haven't used the fitted curtains, the van stays warmer and has never steamed up plus the cab space is much more useable. The cover splits to allow light in without fully removing it.
As a previous post said I obtained a discount by collecting them. I did need to ring and confirm the correct size was in stock but I prefer personal contact to internet ordering.
kenjones
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : T4 Topaz LE
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum