Air in Water System

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Air in Water System

Post by andygump on Tue May 08, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi

I have been working on my water system fixing a leak in the cold water inlet pipe, and stripping and cleaning the Pump.

The system is working and no apparent leaks (yet), but when I switch the pump on it tops up the boiler, but continues to "hunt", I am assuming there is air in the system, so, can anyone tell me the best way to purge it please

Andy scratch head

andygump

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Air in Water System

Post by Dutto on Tue May 08, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi there,

"Hunting" is often caused by the fact that there is no air in the expansion chamber. (Ironic eh?)

The problem is caused when the pressure switch shuts down the pump on a pressure surge and then re-starts it when the surge passes.

I recommend that you open all the taps with the pump off and, when full flow is established, shut off the cold ones and then the hot ones.

When the last hot tap is closed there should be a slight delay before the pump stops. (Because water is being pumped into the expansion chamber.)

If the pump stops very quickly and then "hunts" I would take this as either

1. The pressure switch is set too high and requires a slight "tweak" downwards. (Try this first as it is the easy option!)

2. The pressure switch is set too low and requires a slight "tweak" upwards. (Ditto above but second.)

3. The expansion chamber is faulty.

With a simple chamber all you have to do is:
o Shut-off the pump.
o Remove the cap at the top of the chamber.
o Drain the water out of the system so that air enters the chamber.
o Replace the cap.
o Re-start the system.

With a "bladder" chamber there will be something that looks like a bicycle tyre connection at the top of the chamber. All you do is to attach a bicycle pump and pump it up to the recommended pressure. If the problem persists then there is a possibility that the bladder is ruptured and needs replacing.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

drinksallround

Last edited by Dutto on Tue May 08, 2012 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add option 2)

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump on Tue May 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi Ian,

Thank you for the quick reply. Can you tell me where the Pressure Switch is please.

Andy

andygump

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Tue May 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Andy,

It's either integral with the pump itself on the pump outlet or it is a short distance away in the piping.

The ones on the pump normally require a "tweak" with a screwdriver whereas the remote ones normally have a knurled knob on the top.

As a general rule (in other words I am guaranteed to be wrong!) clockwise equals a higher pressure setting.

Best regards,

Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump on Wed May 09, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi Ian,

Thank you for all your advice, and I am glad to say the problem is solved. blushes :blushes.

The problem was me dum When I had the Tip up Basin out to reinforce it, and mend some cracks. On putting it back together again, the hose from the cold tap had come off, so each time I switched on the pump water was cascading down the waste within the basin oh_blast! oh_blast! So put it all back made sure the Jubilees were tight, and bobs your uncle. wellhappy

Once again thanks for you help,
Andy

andygump

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Thu May 10, 2012 5:44 pm

GREAT!!

"Own mistake" is usually one of the least expensive things to fix - but the one most subject to recurrence! wave wave

Best regards and sympathies of the "There but for the Grace of God go I." variety. up!

Ian
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum