Which club?

Go down

Which club?  Empty Which club?

Post by Timedout on Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:18 pm

We are members of the Camping and Caravanning Club. It’s a legacy of having been tent campers for a long time.  We notice though that very few the club sites are open all year. One aspect we like about the club is how inexpensive the sites are when there is only one of us especially as we are both seniors.

I have been looking at the other club, Caravan and Motorhome. They seem to have more sites open but look much more expensive. What is the experience of members of this forum and which club, on the whole, is the most popular.

We don’t find certificated site much use. Most are just abysmal and some are a health hazard. We have only found one that is really good. Are CMC certificated sites any better?
Timedout
Timedout

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Which club?  Empty Re: Which club?

Post by Paulmold on Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:59 pm

We are in both major clubs. C&CC have their oldies rates and CAMC have midweek discounts on many sites , so by looking at both you can find reasonable priced pitches. We rarely use C&CC CS's as like you have found, many are pretty poor unlike CAMC CL's which almost always have hook ups as they were geared towards caravans. Obviously this is just our findings, others may feel differently.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Beetee on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Like Paul , we belong to both clubs.  One big difference between their certificated sites is that the C&MC are licensed for 5 vans only whereas the C&CC allow up to 10 tents as well as 5 vans which can make it very crowded.
Beetee
Beetee

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo (Lancashire)
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:27 pm

I am in both and have been for many years, there are good in both clubs, but I like the CL`s etc. after all we are self sufficient. I only use my van shower.

C& MC have more sites open all year and more hard standings. I tend to go with them more. some private sites are good and the electric where you have a card and only pay for what you use is the best in my view.

best to try both and then decide if you only want to belong to one.

C&CC have RAC Arrival which Is why I am really into that club, plus some insurance companies give you extra discount if you are in a MH club / forum.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:06 am

I'm in the C&CC, don't bother with C&MC as their sites are usually over priced and can be a bit snooty IMO.

One thing to remember if you use the benefits fully is some of them pretty well pay for themselves too.

I get insurance reduction and also we shop routinely at Go Outdoors, which gives 10% off with a C&CC card and you can get 15% off at Blacks and Millets.  The savings over a year add up and I'm usually quids in from the discounts it gives.

If you want solar panels you can get 10% off at photonic universe too which I think is a recent one.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:46 pm

With C&MC if you do your shopping in Sainsburys you can get 4% off by pre loading a gift card, doesn't work on fuel unfortunately. Easily covers the cost of membership if you are a regular shopper in JS.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:37 pm

Just to offer an alternative view, we've been members of both in the past but now are members of neither.

Lots of perfectly good independent sites around.

Tommy.
Weegie
Weegie

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Timedout on Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:48 pm

Thanks everyone. Perhaps we should try the CMC for a season and see how it goes. It seems to have more sites open in the off-season.

In terms of independent sites, I agree there are some good ones but mostly more expensive. They almost always charge for a minimum of two people and I am frequently solo. It’s also the uncertainty. With the club sites most are good. The only site I have been to in the CCC that is bad is Minehead, it’s just minging. Boroughbridge is weird too, great facilities but appalling noise problems and prone to flooding.
Timedout
Timedout

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain on Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:13 pm

Greyhound wrote:I'm in the C&CC, don't bother with C&MC as their sites are usually over priced and can be a bit snooty IMO.

One thing to remember if you use the benefits fully is some of them pretty well pay for themselves too.

I get insurance reduction and also we shop routinely at Go Outdoors, which gives 10% off with a C&CC card and you can get 15% off at Blacks and Millets.  The savings over a year add up and I'm usually quids in from the discounts it gives.

If you want solar panels you can get 10% off at photonic universe too which I think is a recent one.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Damm! just bought my wife some new walking boots at Blacks in Chichester today, didn't know about 15% discount, but I suppose it would have been disallowed as we got boots at reduced price + extra 15% for October, also socks at 1/2 price.
We also got there free, as I was dragged onto a bus with my pass smile! Only the 2nd time I have used it in 7 years.

----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:17 pm

Mountain Warehouse give 15% off to both clubs and include reduced priced goods as well. Ignore the full prices though as these always seem artificially inflated.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound on Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:14 am

Paulmold wrote:Mountain Warehouse give 15% off to both clubs and include reduced priced goods as well. Ignore the full prices though as these always seem artificially inflated.

Yeah that can be the issue with Go Outdoors too.  Sometimes the discounted price is about what you'd expect to pay for the item anyway, but usually it's a decent little discount.

The card discount usually still works even on sale items too though, so that's where you can really be quids in.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco on Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:08 pm

Hi Everyone
              We are members of the CMC and we find that they are expensive but the sites are good, We now use more CL's to keep the price down and mostly find them very good. You must remember it is not a club it is a business.
Regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gloucester

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain on Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:23 pm

Just got an email from CMC saying a "small" increase in UK club site prices from 12th November.
Most bookings made prior to the 12th remain the same, that's nice of them!
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum