The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swap MPK Dome for a Mini Heki

+2
Tony F
CC
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Swap MPK Dome for a Mini Heki Empty Swap MPK Dome for a Mini Heki

Post by CC Sat May 05, 2012 10:39 am

Just wondering how easy it would be to replace the standard MPK dome rooflight in the kitchen area of our Nuevo for a Mini Heki ? I understand they are both 400 x 400 mm so is it likely to be a straightforward swap or more involved? I also note that MPK have recently updated their dome rooflights to a clear version which does look much nicer... but we love our large Heki in the lounge area as it's far superior in every aspect hence considering replacing the kitchen area, would like to do bathroom as well but as that is mostly out of sight not so important, how big a job would this be?

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Swap MPK Dome for a Mini Heki Empty Re: Swap MPK Dome for a Mini Heki

Post by Tony F Sat May 05, 2012 7:41 pm

This really is a piece of cake, provided you have access to the roof ok. All you need to be careful of is that you remove all the old sealant from around the opening (on the roof) and thoroughly clean the area before re-seating the new fitment. If you Google "replacing caravan rooflight" you should be able to find step-by-step photographic instructions posted by a guy who is doing exactly what you propose. Straightforward, easy job, but not one to be rushed. Allow a couple of hours.

Tony
Tony F
Tony F

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Windsor on Mk 6

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun May 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks Tony

I think I found the guide you were referring to here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Removal and fitting seems straightforward as you suggest, the only problem I can envisage is the Heki surround and the nearby roof speaker nearest the hab door is already quite close to the existing rooflight, with the bigger surround on the Heki I'm not sure if I have enough clearance or if I could maybe cut the surround around the speaker, if anyone has a mini Heki could they give me the width measurement of the surround please?

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Tue May 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Hi CC We are going to get ours changed as I think the MPK one is a very old fashioned design and restricts the light. Our dealer says it can be replaced no problem. I am going to let them do it. Make sure you get the model with the biggest depth as they do 2 thicknesses. Also they do one with fixed and one with no fixed ventilation. As the MPK fitted has fixed ventilation then better to get the version with fixed ventilation.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed May 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi Mog... Agree they look so much better, and will offer loads more ventilation over the standard dome! Had I known they were a direct swap I would have considered doing this before now... You can get a Mini Heki S for around £70 or the better Mini Heki Plus for around £85... with regards depth you are correct that they do two types, this confused me as a local dealer was unable to advise which one I needed but Auto-Sleeper have said the 25-42mm is the correct one? Also they advised that if you go for the fixed ventilation model to expect some whistling / wind noise while driving? So I'm going to go for the model without ventilation... (Part No: 27323) by the way did you get info to confirm or suggest the 43-60mm was required?

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Wed May 09, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi CC I am going to go for the Mini Heki Plus and it is interesting what Autosleepers have said about wind noise on the fixed ventilation model which I had never thought about. We had a Mini Heki Plus on our previous
Ford Transit van conversion and never experienced any wind noise but then I have no idea which model was fitted. I will now like you go for the one without fixed ventilation. It was the my dealer West Country Motorhomes that told me it would need the 43-60mm model and they are AS dealers. As they will be fitting it for me then assume they know the correct size. Might be a good idea to double check with AS let me know and I can query this with my dealer. Hope you manage to get it fitted without too much trouble but I prefer to get my dealer to fit it- then I don't have to worry if something goes wrong!
We have just had 3 weeks touring Cornwall and have been very lucky as only had 1 day when it rained all day. Great coastline and saw some fabulous beaches. smile!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed May 09, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi Mog... thought I'd mention about the wind noise just so you were aware... I know there are some good wind deflectors / spoilers in front of all the rooflights but I'd hate to get one fitted only to be irritated by whistling or wind as you travel, so think it's wise to go for the non vented just to be on the safe side.. I guess AS warning of this would suggest they have had comments from customers so it was good of them to mention in advance.

Let me know how your fitting goes, be interested to see how it works out near the speakers.. maybe you can post a pic up as it's likely to be a while before we get ours fitted as we have a number of other minor jobs to get sorted by Auto-Sleepers first

You were lucky with the weather, we have booked up twice at Ferry meadows to have them cancel on both occasions and a cancellation at stamford so not doing too great for our next trip in a few days, the weather has been slightly better this week so fingers crossed that it stays reasonable enough for sites to drain off and dry out a bit

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Wed May 09, 2012 10:17 pm

We are not going to get ours fitted until we have our habitation check towards the end of June but will certainly post a pic to show the finished result. Hope you get good weather for your break.
Forgot to mention that whilst we were away we had on a few occasions used the Whale filler hose directly connected to a tap but on the last attempt it failed to fill and water just came out of the connector. My dealer has replaced it and Sid that the valve must have been sticking.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:37 pm

moggyminor1966 wrote: It was the my dealer West Country Motorhomes that told me it would need the 43-60mm model and they are AS dealers. As they will be fitting it for me then assume they know the correct size.

Moggy... did you get your Mini Heki fitted yet or find out anymore from West Country Motorhomes whether or not the 43-60mm roof thickness is the correct one? Mine arrived today and I ordered part number: 27323 (roof thickness 25-42mm) which is said to fit 95% of motorhomes and as advised by AS... But the company I have purchased it from have instead sent part number: 27324 which is the 43-60mm roof thickness model, had a look and I cant really tell if it is the correct thickness or not without pulling the MPK dome about to check measurements... scratchy head time me thinks scratch head hugegrins

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:08 pm

CruizingComet wrote:
moggyminor1966 wrote: It was the my dealer West Country Motorhomes that told me it would need the 43-60mm model and they are AS dealers. As they will be fitting it for me then assume they know the correct size.

Moggy... did you get your Mini Heki fitted yet or find out anymore from West Country Motorhomes whether or not the 43-60mm roof thickness is the correct one? Mine arrived today and I ordered part number: 27323 (roof thickness 25-42mm) which is said to fit 95% of motorhomes and as advised by AS... But the company I have purchased it from have instead sent part number: 27324 which is the 43-60mm roof thickness model, had a look and I cant really tell if it is the correct thickness or not without pulling the MPK dome about to check measurements... scratchy head time me thinks scratch head hugegrins

CC

Hi CC We have decided to wait until next year as better half has said we have spent too much! We will get it done cos I hate the MPK one. I have not checked yet with my dealer but will ask when it goes for the hab check.
Funnily enough I was thinking how hard can it be to fit and save some dosh so wil be extremely interested on how you get on. Certainly the guide to fitting previously mentioned with photos is very useful. I am just wondering if you just remove the inside part of the MPK depending on how big the cut out is you may be able to slide a steel rule to check the depth. It is a bit confusing when AS tell you one thing and my AS dealer tell me different. I think if you can check yourself it would be wiser before pulling it out. Please let me know as if you can do it then I am sure I can. smile!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi Again Moggy...

Decided to add it on the list when we go to Willersey for our air suspension... they are happy to fit it even if they are not supplying it and at least if it leaks later on it won't be me getting my knuckles wrapped gettinwrong given more time I would have liked to have tackled it myself, but we have quite a lot going on at the moment which means it would be a struggle to get it fitted in time before our next trip away and as we had arranged to call in to the service centre on route (well slight detour) snigger before heading up to Chester then on to North Wales, just makes sense to get them to do it

Did look again last night and queried the 43-60mm again with AS and they say it will be suitable so looks like your info was correct, maybe it was a typo or a monday morning... As long as it fits then I'm happy... will let you know how we get on, will be a big improvement I'm sure both in light and air circulation

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Swap MPK Dome for a Mini Heki Empty Rooflight

Post by murph Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:23 am

Hi CC,
I have been looking at doing this myself, but what about the fiamma vent, they look to be a lot cheaper. Has anyone fitted one and what are the differences between it and the Heki.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:09 pm

murph wrote: Hi CC,
I have been looking at doing this myself, but what about the fiamma vent, they look to be a lot cheaper. Has anyone fitted one and what are the differences between it and the Heki.

Brian2

Just had a quick look online and the Fiamma vent does not look as nice as the Heki and it says that the Fiamma has fixed ventilation and it is recommended on Motorhomes that you do not have fixed ventilation on it. I have had a camper van with a Mini Heki Plus and they are excellent and let a lot of light in and have a position where you can have it open just a bit and it will not rain in. Also the slide across blind/sun fly screen is easy to use and is simple. It is all a matter of choice and the Fiamma one may appeal to some people. smile!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:12 pm

murph wrote: Hi CC, I have been looking at doing this myself, but what about the fiamma vent, they look to be a lot cheaper. Has anyone fitted one and what are the differences between it and the Heki.
Brian2

I wasn't aware of the Fiamma vent Murph but like Moggy I just did a Google and think the Heki is much nicer, the Fiamma seems quite bulky and appears to have a bar in the center? If you are put off by the price of the Mini Heki Plus at £95 incl P&P, then you can get the Mini Heki S pictured here for around £75 incl P&P (bare in mind it does not fully open though)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

We now have our mini Heki fitted in the kitchen area and it's so much better than the MPK roof light, ventilation is vastly improved as it fully opens unlike the MPK which only opened a couple of inches at best. Best thing about it is the level of light now in the kitchen area, and the modern look of the blind and flyscreen (although these are quite stiff and don't match the build quality of the large center Heki fitted in the Nuevo) for the outlay well worth updating IMO content

Will try to get a before and after photo of ours posted over the weekend....

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:45 pm

HI CC cannot wait to see your pics- I will be very jealous. smile!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi Moggy... a few before and after pics

Before:

After:

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi CC looks great especially the blue sky! Hopefully intend to buy one like yours and get Willersey to fit it. If you get chance would like to see a view from on top of the roof. smile!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:50 pm

moggyminor1966 wrote:Hi CC looks great especially the blue sky! Hopefully intend to buy one like yours and get Willersey to fit it. If you get chance would like to see a view from on top of the roof. smile!

Hi Moggy

Yes.. been meaning to get up there to look myself to be honest just to make sure everything is as it should be, not had time since we've been back but now going back outside to wash the old girl down and give her a little TLC all lovedup so may get up there to check and get a pic for you smile!

CC

BTW: If anyone want's a used MPK rooflight in good condition send me a PM... open to any offers as it's too good to bin!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks CC. Looks like the bigger size was correct then so you were lucky they sent you the bigger one. I washed my Nuevo yesterday as it was covered in sand from a recent wet spell- must have come from the Sahara. beachball

moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:13 pm

They said at Willersey either size will fit, the thinner one is the ideal one to go for but they said if you get the thicker model the risers can be cut down to make it fit shrugg
It looks OK to me anyway, but think if I were you I'd get the thinner one anyway as that is the correct one up!

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:16 pm

CruizingComet wrote:They said at Willersey either size will fit, the thinner one is the ideal one to go for but they said if you get the thicker model the risers can be cut down to make it fit shrugg
It looks OK to me anyway, but think if I were you I'd get the thinner one anyway as that is the correct one up!

CC

Oh so now I'm getting confused! confused3

So just to clarify I should be getting the Mini Heki Plus (roof thickness 25-42mm) without fixed ventilation
part number 27323. allthumbz
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Hey CC, that looks the dogs b****cks, Great job.

Well just to throw a spanner in the works, I called AS last week to ask what the roof thickness was on the Talisman, & their 'techie' fella said he
didn't know, & he suggested I removed the lower frame & have a measure up!!

This I did & on mine it was 50mm, so in my case the deeper units are the ones to go for.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:15 pm

modelman wrote:
Hey CC, that looks the dogs b****cks, Great job.

Well just to throw a spanner in the works, I called AS last week to ask what the roof thickness was on the Talisman, & their 'techie' fella said he
didn't know, & he suggested I removed the lower frame & have a measure up!!

This I did & on mine it was 50mm, so in my case the deeper units are the ones to go for.

Hi modelman is it easy to remove the lower frame to check the roof thickness? Please can you let me know how you do it as I think I will check myself to be sure.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Swap MPK Dome for a Mini Heki Empty Swap MPK dome for mini Heike

Post by Neuvosleeper Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:41 pm

We admire those on the Forum wishing to replace the vent for one "better looking" whilst it must be a relatively easy job, the worst of it being "up and down a ladder" or will scaffold be hired in? sorry snigger My in doors advisor cant understand the issues raised, i.e more light-- well theres a window in the door another in rear panel, the original MPK is directional e.g wind direction is no problem it tilts either to Front or Rear, plus " straight up" ideal at night with the possibility of weather changes/wind direction. Sorry to be a damper on all this but I believe there's far better improvments to spend a 100 quid on. Like a direct & simple water filler as in previous "blog" of mine , if anyones still interested I may have just sorted the re routeing of the filler hose . I await any interested posts before trying to explain my "idea" it will involve some engineering skills tho , and best if you are out of the A/S warranty (read mini print therein). bezfriends Brian K.
Neuvosleeper
Neuvosleeper

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 11
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:55 pm

Neuvosleeper wrote: We admire those on the Forum wishing to replace the vent for one "better looking" whilst it must be a relatively easy job, the worst of it being "up and down a ladder" or will scaffold be hired in? sorry snigger My in doors advisor cant understand the issues raised, i.e more light-- well theres a window in the door another in rear panel, the original MPK is directional e.g wind direction is no problem it tilts either to Front or Rear, plus " straight up" ideal at night with the possibility of weather changes/wind direction. Sorry to be a damper on all this but I believe there's far better improvments to spend a 100 quid on. Like a direct & simple water filler as in previous "blog" of mine , if anyones still interested I may have just sorted the re routeing of the filler hose . I await any interested posts before trying to explain my "idea" it will involve some engineering skills tho , and best if you are out of the A/S warranty (read mini print therein). bezfriends Brian K.

Hi Nuevosleeper I agree it is all a matter of choice and what suits one person does not suit another. Speaking of experience of both types of roof flight in Motorhomes and caravans personally I think the MPK is a very old design and if you do leave it up and it rains then it will rain in- it has happened to me on several occasions. I much prefer the design and looks of the Heki and love being able to see the sky! To me it is money well spent.
On the issue of the water fill system in the Nuevo II personally I find it quite simple and whilst it can be slow filling I don't mind at all. Good luck with your alterations. smile! smile!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next