The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worktop repair

+6
Gromit
paul bullock
Paulmold
PLOUGHLIN
Quilter
Biged
10 posters

Go down

Worktop repair Empty Worktop repair

Post by Biged Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:56 pm

We got our Bourton on Friday, not new, but new to us. Yesterday while driving along the microwave door flew open and the glass plate come out, hit the worktop and landed on the floor.
Not a good start. Would never expect anything like this to happen!
The plate did not break but put a small split in our worktop, which is apparently hollow . Has anyone done a repair, if so what was the colour repair filler that you used.
I'me thinking colorfill.
Biged
Biged

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Worktop repair Empty Re: Worktop repair

Post by Quilter Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Sorry to hear this happened. There is an instruction somewhere to put the microwave plate elsewhere when travelling ( handbook? ) to avoid this happening but this is never pointed out at handover or by notice in the actual microwave. I suspect most of us forget or simply don’ t do it and we have been lucky.

We had a tin fall on our worktop ( not while travelling), got a horrendously expensive quote for fixing the dent and left it there. An attemptvto repair it with a filler made it more noticeable. Made no difference to price when we sold the van. 

In this van we have a silicone fabric ( heatproof to 250 deg C ) covering the worktop which gives protection from dints and means we can put hot pans and stuff down directly without worrying about damage.

Edit: the worktop protector fabric is called Bulgomme, comes by the metre and in 2 grades 100 deg C resistant and 250 deg C resistant. Not cheap but very effective. We have it on the stove top and pull out worktop as well.

Last edited by Quilter on Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:21 pm

Can't help with the worktop colour (AS call it Slate Wraky), and a bit late now but don't travel with the plate in the microwave, it is what the seat back pocket is for.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:43 pm

These people can do a 'professional' repair...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Someone on here stuck a coaster over the damage so you could stick a heat-resistant mat and make it a feature.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi , know the feeling , not the M/W dish (we have a warning sticker on the M/W!) but a book dropped out of the cupboard above ,leaving quite a dent .Our worktop is a dark grey marble effect ,I bought some bumper repair filler from I think B&Q , its dark grey epoxy and you have a job to see where it is if you didn't know .Best of luck with it       Regards     Paul wave
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:01 pm

Just what I was going to suggest Paul (Mold)

If you can't hide it, don't try. Make a feature of it - with a suitable insert if you want a flush finish.

Another option is to get a sheet of formica (or similar) and cover the whole of the worktop. It comes in all sorts of colours and textures, so finding something suitable shouldn't be a problem.

Or just do as Quilter has done. That's probably the easiest of all.  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:05 pm

Gromit wrote:

Or just do as Quilter has done. That's probably the easiest of all.

Just edited my earlier post with details of the worktop protector fabric. Good stuff.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:37 pm

It was me who inserted a coaster after a mug fell on the worktop over the fridge and cracked it.
I was quite taken aback to find the worktop is hollow, it consists of a very thin ply sandwich  with wavy cardboard in between, much like cheap domestic internal doors.
I routed out the shape of the coaster into the worktop, cut the cardboard below away and built it up with offcuts of timber until the coaster was flush. All sealed in with wood glue.
Three years later it's still looking good.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:41 pm

bikeralw wrote:It was me who inserted a coaster after a mug fell on the worktop over the fridge and cracked it.
I was quite taken aback to find the worktop is hollow, it consists of a very thin ply sandwich  with wavy cardboard in between, much like cheap domestic internal doors.

Having just shifted some pieces of domestic worktop in my utility room I wouldn’t want it taking a significant fraction of our payload in the van. The stuff that is there works fine if care is taken ( if....)
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:21 pm

Quilter wrote:Just edited my earlier post with details of the worktop protector fabric. Good stuff.
Thanks. I think we'll be getting some. Prevention is better than cure - plus it makes the use of the worktop much more versatile when hot pans can be put down on it.  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:37 pm

I had ours repaired for £80 the guy used body filler and put a texture into it with the end of wooden coffee stirer, then mixed up some paint and touched it in, it’s not invisible but it’s good enough. Autosleeper quoted me for supply of a worktop which wasn’t too bad but I looked at the job and it seemed too much hassle to find all the fixings and possibly ? Have to remove the cooker and fridge. The guy I used was from Cannock
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Had a work top repair on the Amethyst, Hubby dropped the corner of the wall cupboard it is very heavy when taking it out, had it professionally repaired worktop that is, wall cupboard was unmarked, cannot even see where it was, in fact had forgotten about it until this thread, 

If you need the guy he is in the east Midlands. can put no. if required,  wasn`t expensive either.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Biged Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:56 pm

I did a reasonable repair using colorfill and texturing with a sponge. 
I went to screwfix first they stock colorfill but in limited colours, a trader there suggested Howdens. I used to have an account there many years ago but at a different branch. Howdens stock colorfill for every work surface they have on stock.
The guy on the desk took my table top to try and get a match, he came back with a good one (stone beige) Unfortunately because my account was no longer there he said he could not sell it me. A very helpful guy working there said 'put it on my account and charge for it'. So after paying, all in all worked out well.
I would post a pic, but can't for the life of me figure out how its done.

One other thing, there is nowhere in either my Autosleeper manual or microwave book does it say to remove the glass plate while travelling.
Biged
Biged

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:00 pm

If you buy a new van (I haven't) there is sticker on the microwave door to remove the plate before moving off, obviously people remove the sticker.

Having said that I haven't removed ours when travelling cos till recently wasn't aware of it. But the catch on our microwave door needs a very hard tug to open it anyway.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:55 pm

On our new caravan years ago, , the sticker did say remove plate when travelling, I haven`t a microwave in my MH

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down