The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Legend 1990 wiring

Go down

Ford Legend 1990 wiring Empty Ford Legend 1990 wiring

Post by christhelegend Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi
managed to get everything together on the Legend and went away for a couple of days.
Having spent ages sorting leaking side windows, rusty leaky roof, rusty wings, and electrics, I was dismayed when on the first night the pump wouldn't work!! 
When I checked the 12v panel fuses the positive terminal on the 2amp 'FRIDGE/WATER GUAGE' had melted the plastic around it and the fuse had not blown! I then remembered putting in a 10amp fuse on my previous trip as the 2amp fuse blew regularly and I had run out!! (silly * Inappropriate Word *!)
Even so I can't figure why the live would get so hot when it is only powering the fridge indicator and the water guage when pressed.
I have checked the wiring and I think some wires are wrongly routed, Judging by the mess of wires around the leisure battery somebody has 'had a good go at it' in the past.
The wiring diagram in the handbook is different to mine.
Does a proper wiring diagram exist for the Ford Transit Legend GL 1990?? or is it a lost cause?
I have a nice one from the VW T25 club which is quite similar, trouble is I don't know if I should rely on it? There is also a version someone has added the wiring to the control panel to, which is useful.

So anybody have a definitive wiring diagram, please!!

Chris The Legend
christhelegend
christhelegend

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : transit legend gl
Vehicle Year : 1990

Back to top Go down

Ford Legend 1990 wiring Empty Re: Ford Legend 1990 wiring

Post by christhelegend Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Further to my quest I found a question regarding the relay from 2014 which has a great photo of all the wiring around the control panel, very helpful
Its here
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
christhelegend
christhelegend

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by christhelegend Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:46 pm

Further to my post, I have spent this week trying to figure the spaghetti, sorry wiring!
With my trusty multimeter.
I started under the bonnet with a mass of wires connected to the leisure battery as well as a double relay! There were lots of 'piggy back' clips and cut off wires and the like.
I already had the 12v panel opened up so I got the DCU out too so I could trace as many wires as possible and label them. I spent over an hour tracing one wire without luck and as it went under the cab carpet I eventually got the carpet up and found that it went nowhere? it was a cut cable!
The second cable was the same except this one disappeared along the chassis after lots of feeling about I found this was cut off too!?!?!
With these out of the way I traced the remaining cables much easier, though figuring the double relay took a lot of thought. Apparently one half of the relay was for switching the main and leisure battery and the other half was to switch the power for the 12v panel - this was wired to the relay on the 12v panel so effectively using a relay to power a relay? strange
but not confident enough to do away with the engine bay one.
Anyway replaced lots of dodgy and wrongly coloured wires (red wire for earth? and green for live?) and cleaned earth to body points and will connect the 12v panel back in tomorrow, hope everything works.
christhelegend
christhelegend

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by christhelegend Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:06 pm

OK, so why have I posted this topic under 'coachbuilt'?
I am officially an OAP now so I think its an age thing!!!!
christhelegend
christhelegend

Male

Back to top Go down