The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CYCLE RACK For Corinium

+6
Jansellsbond
Dbvwt
Gromit
aldhp21
PLOUGHLIN
EVY
10 posters

Go down

CYCLE RACK For Corinium  Empty CYCLE RACK For Corinium

Post by EVY Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:54 am

help! girl-thinking Hi can anyone tell me which cycle rack will fit a Corinium RB motorhome it has two fixed bars at the back thanks.
EVY
EVY

Male

Auto-Sleeper : corinium rb
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

CYCLE RACK For Corinium  Empty Re: CYCLE RACK For Corinium

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:44 am

The Corinium Handbook says it is fitted with mountings for a Fiamma rack (pg4-1) but not which model. It used to be the Pro-C, check with AS.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by aldhp21 Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:14 pm

Just had a quote from A/S to fit a bike rack to our 2017 Broadway FB for £331. Other dealers offer similar but only A/S will guarantee not to put bolts through into the bathroom or bedroom.

Going to get A/S to fit it next month. Didn't want bolts and plates into the van.

Cheers Al.
aldhp21
aldhp21

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:21 pm

I think A/S will reveal the precise location of the strengthening mountings, but not to a customer. If anyone wanted a dealer to fit one, I think they could get the plans.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by aldhp21 Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:30 pm

Hi Dave, when asking for quotes from 2 other dealers I asked about the fitting. Both informed that they fitted with bolts and both pointed out that half the bolts would be hidden by the bed head board?
aldhp21
aldhp21

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:45 pm

That's crazy, you already have the fixing bars fitted by AS, doesn't the rack fit onto those?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:32 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:That's crazy, you already have the fixing bars fitted by AS, doesn't the rack fit onto those?
Before buying my Symbol, I did look at a couple of 2018 Nuevos (with I’m assuming the same fitted bars).
My thinking was that I could easily fit a rack myself as the bars were already there, I seem to recall 4 covers which I thought were the fixing points??
If this isn’t the case then what is the point of the bars shrugg
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Jansellsbond Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:27 am

We have the 2013 broadway fb and Marquis fitted Fiamma Lift 70 bike rack to it four years ago.  True, bolts are hiden by headboard but plate and bolts intrude in to shower but covered by plastic cowl. Now after four years and 45,000 miles carrying electric bikes, dents have appeared on rear wall where they drilled through. I am going to have to make four reinforcing plates to fit between brackets and van rear when I get home.  The bikes are well within the load bearing capacity of the rack so it rankles a little.
Jansellsbond
Jansellsbond

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:46 am

We had one of these ( Alko Velo 3 ) fitted 3 years ago by Heart of England Motorhomes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Low down , so easy to load our 2 electric bikes, does not touch the van body as all the strain taken by the chassis, easy to remove when not needed or to transfer to another van, and improves the road handling of the van when the bikes are loaded.

Not cheap but one of the best things we did.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:39 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:That's crazy, you already have the fixing bars fitted by AS, doesn't the rack fit onto those?
I think you are right Peter - if I remember well there has been a thread on the forum regarding the location of the fixing/mounting bars - which I believe were/are fitted to all of the recent AS motorhomes.
I seem to recall that when they have been used to fit a cycle rack the number plate tended to be obscured and thus cause a likely traffic offence!
But maybe in light of the afore mentioned problem AS have now discontinued to fit the rear fixing/mounting bars as standard!!

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by pagetheoracle Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:46 pm

We have the Memo Europe product fitted to our Broadway. Superbly engineered and strong. The elegant back panel  of the MH remains pristine and you can sleep at night knowing it will not cost you time and money to remediate in the future. It’s a premium product so isn’t low cost but worth every penny. Electric bike are v easy to lift onto the frame and to cover up against poor weather.
pagetheoracle
pagetheoracle

Male

Auto-Sleeper : AS Malvern
Vehicle Year : New 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:55 pm

pagetheoracle wrote:We have the Memo Europe product fitted to our Broadway. Superbly engineered and strong. The elegant back panel  of the MH remains pristine and you can sleep at night knowing it will not cost you time and money to remediate in the future. It’s a premium product so isn’t low cost but worth every penny. Electric bike are v easy to lift onto the frame and to cover up against poor weather.

Interesting. They look pretty much identical to our Alko Sawiko Velo 3. I didn’t realise there was another chassis mounted bike rack available. What bike cover do you use on it ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi Jansellsbond, same van as yours but with the standard Fiamma Pro C carrier holding two electric bikes combined weight approx 40kg excluding batteries. Lowest fixing point just above rear light clusters purposely so as not to hide 'Broadway' logo or registration plate when bike cover fitted. Hopefully not a silly question but are you sure fixing points are within the extra strengthened bonding as recommended by Autosleepers? Regards.

Male

Member Age : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by pagetheoracle Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:31 pm

Quilter, I have an unbranded nylon bike cover that has straps at the bottom , and an elasticated  frill’ that wraps round the bike tyre. It was v cheap but did v well in Cornwall last week when it rained very heavy. My wife looked at the Fiamma product recently so the current situation is a holding position I think! 
If you are paying £60k upwards for a MH, spending an extra 1 or 2% on a quality bike rack secured to the strongest part of the construction (the chassis)  is simply a no brainier to me but I appreciate people’s priorities can vary.
pagetheoracle
pagetheoracle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pagetheoracle Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:32 pm

Quilter, I have an unbranded nylon bike cover that has straps at the bottom , and an elasticated  frill’ that wraps round the bike tyre. It was v cheap but did v well in Cornwall last week when it rained very heavy. My wife looked at the Fiamma product recently so the current situation is a holding position I think! 
If you are paying £60k upwards for a MH, spending an extra 1 or 2% on a quality bike rack secured to the strongest part of the construction (the chassis)  is simply a no brainier to me but I appreciate people’s priorities can vary.
pagetheoracle
pagetheoracle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:06 pm

pagetheoracle wrote:Quilter, I have an unbranded nylon bike cover that has straps at the bottom , and an elasticated  frill’ that wraps round the bike tyre. It was v cheap but did v well in Cornwall last week when it rained very heavy. My wife looked at the Fiamma product recently so the current situation is a holding position I think! 

Thank you- the straps and frills etc sound ideal.  Our current bike covers -a heavy Fiamma and a cheap motorcycle cover- both keep the rain off but are not so good at keeping the underside of the bikes dry, which is what we want to do. Being quite low down, the bike rack is easy to load with no effort but is not the conformation of most bike racks where the cover can be simply wrapped around underneath.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jansellsbond Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:29 am

Well, Paramedic strange you should say that. We now call our van a "ROADWA" because the brackets obscure some of the logo.  I Have no idea where the reinforced places area and even less faith in the people who fitted that bike rack.   Having said all that we have had the bikes on the back during our nearly 3 years of full timing and are now Bulgaria experiencing some of the most potholed roads in Europe and the bikes are still there.  
The height is excellent as even with a  full motorcycle cover over both bikes no lights are obscured and the winch mechanism drops them 75cm and makes it easy for  even an arthritic like me to get them on and off.
As for the alternative forms of rack I am afraid that the weight factor makes them out of the question , we are uprated to 3.8 ton already but wouldn't like to pop out on a weighbridge when we are deiseled gassed watered and provisioned for moving on.
Jansellsbond
Jansellsbond

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:48 am

Jansellsbond wrote:As for the alternative forms of rack I am afraid that the weight factor makes them out of the question , 

Alko Sawiko Velo 3 = 16 kg and can carry up to 75 kg safely

Fiamma Carry Bike Lift: 18.3 or 16.3 kg depending on which version. Both can carry up to 60 kg.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jansellsbond Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:27 am

Did the research over four years ago and a bit hazy now but I distinctly remember that we needed some sort of chassis extension for the Broadway before we could fit the bike rack. Just had a peek under and there is nothing closer to the back than 2  metres that would take the weight so it would have been  heavier than the one we had fitted. Probably cast iron in them days anyway. 
As for the cover we have a BTR motorcycle cover(eBay)  which is 100 percent waterproof but had to be replaced because of the sunlight. No complaints about that though.
Jansellsbond
Jansellsbond

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:05 am

Interestingly, your owner's manual page 4-1 4-2 details strengthened bonded area "immediately above the rear light units". So have the dents appeared at lower fixing points? Regards.

Male

Member Age : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:05 am

Jansellsbond wrote:Did the research over four years ago and a bit hazy now but I distinctly remember that we needed some sort of chassis extension for the Broadway before we could fit the bike rack. 

Ah ! I didn’t realise the Broadway FB and EK were different underneath . Ours  2014 ( Broadway EK) did not need a chassis extension: the rack fitted in the AS chassis directly. We did have to send an extensive list of measurements to Alko in Germany who sent the correct kit to our nominated fitters.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jansellsbond Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:22 am

Does yours have a steel or aluminum support rear of the back axle? Ours is steel but not up to carrying 70kg over a 1m cantilever I should guess. Then there are the steady leg supports and rear wall to bypass.  I would like to hear from someone who has gone down this route with the FB though.  Maybe we will have to replace the Fiamma one day.
Jansellsbond
Jansellsbond

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:31 am

Jansellsbond wrote:Does yours have a steel or aluminum support rear of the back axle? Ours is steel but not up to carrying 70kg over a 1m cantilever I should guess. Then there are the steady leg supports and rear wall to bypass.  I would like to hear from someone who has gone down this route with the FB though.  Maybe we will have to replace the Fiamma one day.

Steel. 

We removed the 22kg rear steadies soon after we got the van so that was not a factor. I guess with a fixed rear bed they might be more useful but we never used them and have never felt the need to do so. If we sell this van then we shall remove the bike rack and refit the steadies.

The bike rack supports go under the rear wall so there is nothing that actually touches the body of the van. 

Four years of extensive use in all conditions with 2 electric bikes and we have not had any worries at all about stability or carrying capacity etc. Indeed, compared with the standard Fiamma rack we had before, the van drives better for having the load lower down. It does need a new number plate and lighting fitting. When not in use it folds up and the original lights and number plate are visible.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jansellsbond Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:57 am

HID reminds me that we were looking at a towbar mounted rack 4 years ago. Perhaps the Alco one want available then. Towbar would require much more solid fixing so the extra weight.
Our steadies have been decorating the attic wall for four years along with the carpets, extra cushions etc.
Jansellsbond
Jansellsbond

Male

Back to top Go down