The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Story so far

5 posters

Go down

Story so far Empty Story so far

Post by theglove78 Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:51 am

Hi all

Just sharing a little update as a relative newbie in our 96 AS Amethyst.

Saturday we enjoyed our 9th night away and a week in Scotland awaits in a few weeks!

Some interesting challenges along the way, 

-  Juddering breaks fixed (new pads and discs fitted under waranty)
-  Faulty heater fixed.
-  I've sussed out how an inverter works.  I grinned from ear to ear when my little TV kicked into life off grid.
-  I've sussed out the gas fridge, equal amount of grinning when my beer kept chilled.
-  My partner & I have sussed out a routine for getting beds ready and put away.
-  The "boot" lid at the back weighs a tonne and i need to suss out what purpose the wood section has and why the wood is drenched.
-  The levellers don't work, the little collar that is on the screw has basically rotted away  rolleyes
-  Still can't dind a Pro C bike rack near to where i live.
-  The grey water hose a)  has a pin hol in it and b)  needs to be secured via cable tie (mainly to the grey water pipes) as there is no obvious alternative??  Without the cable tie, it simply drops to the floor.  Clues welcome.
-  Various bits from inside our house are slowly migrating to the campervan  hugegrins

So far so good mind and certainly not looking back with regret at our decision to buy our first motorhome.  

Rob
theglove78
theglove78

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Story so far Empty Re: Story so far

Post by Quilter Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:57 am

Motorhomes, with all their little problems and faults, are Nature's way of making sure our minds keep sharp and functioning. Sudoku is cheaper but not half so much fun.

Glad you enjoyed your first trip and I'm sure all the ones that come after will be just as good.

( Do you keep a trip diary ? We have, since 1969, and looking back gives me a lot of pleasure, as well as settling lots of arguments )
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by theglove78 Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:29 pm

Hi Quilter

I enjoy trying to fix and understand all of its quirks, as you say, keeps your brain engaged  smile!

You mentioned a diary in a previous post and i did write a blog and we do keep as much literature as we can for any sites we've been too.  Photo album also likely!

Rob
theglove78
theglove78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:54 pm

I think fixing things also gives you a greater understanding of how everything works and fits together.

It also makes it not so much of an issue if it breaks again, as you know how to fix i hugegrins

The bed making routine is one of the first things we suss in a our vans (well, all two of them so far) - there's a knack to everything... Our plan is usually "wife usually deals with ablutions while I make the bed, when she re-emerges it's magically complete" hugegrins

Not sure what the wood section in the boot lid refers to? Nor why it's soaking wet??
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by theglove78 Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:31 am

Yes its a mystery.

I drop the "boot lid", in itslef weighs a lot.  There is a carpet liner which if i gently pull away, i expose a wooden profile running along the width of the lid.  And its utterly ruined & saturated lol!!  

Needs a coat of looking at!  A * Inappropriate Word * that the hinges are riveted on as opposed to humble screws.  Hate drilling rivets out.
theglove78
theglove78

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RickFaulkner66 Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:24 pm

we have a 2005 Amethyst; good to compare notes. I had to remove one side window and re-seal the kitchen window due to leaks; the monocoque shell might be tight, but not the windows! There is a 2007 i saw @ Spinny Motorhomes in Holmes Chapel this week - again with tape around the side windows.
done lots of other jobs too - just as you say - never ending! 
this weekend i will be re-fitting the reversing light wire/switch. last weekend i changed the water pump. :-)
never a dull moment, but would not have it any other way (unless i had £70k!!!!) :-)
RickFaulkner66
RickFaulkner66

Male

Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:28 am

If you had spent £70K on a nice new van you would have ended up fixing twice as much.... hugegrins

As a prestige yacht manufacturer once said to me after looking at our previous van " If motorhome manufacturers made yachts like this we would all be sunk".

Good luck, if you do it yourself at least you know its done properly up!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down