The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DAMP???!!

4 posters

Go down

DAMP???!! Empty DAMP???!!

Post by happyhelen Sat May 11, 2019 3:04 pm

Returned to Wlliersey for habitation with bit of concern knowing how things are there but hubby wanted to go back there.
Had hab checks there for 7 years. Occasionally few issues but they have sorted. Last year was "bone dry" 0% moisture. Now saying is 40%+ in bed box near the water filler and saying it could be from water filler or fridge vents and also 40% + under the sink in kitchen area (Nuevo mark 1 07). They want it back in for min of 2 weeks to look into it but it looks and smells totally dry to me. We did take it in on a very wet day and the van was pretty full with stuff as it was middle of 10 day trip. Could this have affected readings? Should I get my own damp meter? Can you hire them? Not sure what to do. Hubby due knee replacement later in June so need to sort it before then if there is a serious problem. Have potentially booked it in for beg June. Would value any thoughts or pearls of experience.

Many thanks.

Not so Happy Helen!
happyhelen
happyhelen

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo

Back to top Go down

DAMP???!! Empty Re: DAMP???!!

Post by Paulmold Sat May 11, 2019 3:21 pm

Lidl and Aldi often have damp meters which as perfectly adequate for the occasional check to keep an eye on things. They cost around a tenner. A professional one that dealers and engineers use cost at leasr £120 to over £250 and don't pierce the surface like the cheaper ones do. Look on eBay for a protimeter.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat May 11, 2019 3:31 pm

There are plenty meters on Amazon for under £20.  I got an Aldi one following a report of a small area of damp behind the drivers cab in the wall at floor level.

I've found that times when theirs lots of rain the reading is high and in dry periods low.

The initial advice was that it would be the vertical seal between the side wall and the cab.  There was certainly damp in there but when I resealed as advised (Willersey were too busy to do it for several months) but it made no difference.

I eventually found a vertical gap between the sink unit and the wall on the edge of the gas locker.  Cold humid air was coming through the gap behind the seat backrest and condensing, running down the wall to the floor.  Filling that gap sorted it.

Incidentally I could see the external sides of both the floor and the wall at the area the damp was recorded and their was no sign on the outside.

Personally, I would buy a cheap meter and be sure the problem was permanent for a few months before committing to Willersey, particularly as we are coming (I hope) into summer.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat May 11, 2019 3:33 pm

There are plenty meters on Amazon for under £20. I got an Aldi one following a report of a small area of damp behind the drivers cab in the wall at floor level.

I've found that times when theirs lots of rain the reading is high and in dry periods low.

The initial advice was that it would be the vertical seal between the side wall and the cab. There was certainly damp in there but when I resealed as advised (Willersey were too busy to do it for several months) no difference.

I eventually found a vertical gap between the sink unit and the wall on the edge of the gas locker. Cold humid air was coming through the gap behind the seat backrest and condensing, running down the wall to the floor. Filling that gap sorted it.

Incidentally I could see the external sides of both the floor and the wall at the area the damp was recorded and their was no sign on the outside.

Personally, I would buy a cheap meter and be sure the problem was permanent for a few months before committing to Willersey, particularly as we are coming (I hope) into summer.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sat May 11, 2019 3:33 pm

You have my simpathy Helen. As per my post regarding our Rienza the damp problems were a bit of a shock to us. The guy that checked ours was confident in his findings even offering to lend us his damp meter. It is irelavant how damp the weather is during testing when you can see the damp and rotted wood.
Ours is a case of not being checked properly by the place we bought it from, that amount of damp doesn't happen overnight. Hopefully ours will be sorted to give us more time traveling during our retirement.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down