The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Door catch

+2
Chrisjohn
Paddington
6 posters

Go down

Door catch Empty Door catch

Post by Paddington Wed May 01, 2019 3:47 pm

Hiya
I'm looking for a door catch for a Nuevo van. When I'm parked up and got the door open, the wind blows it closed. There must be somekind of gadget available for holding it in the open position. Any ideas?
 Thanks
Paddington
Paddington
Paddington

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuveo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Door catch Empty Door Stay.....annoying design fault

Post by Chrisjohn Wed May 01, 2019 4:06 pm

Hello Paddington,

I have had the same problem and since owning our Nuevo, I have replaced the door strut 3 times and at around £25.00 a pop plus postage!  I now use a bungee that I tie round there habitation door handle and the other end on to the rear wheel......not ideal, but it is a sort of solution, and has saved me some money! In my opinion it should have been thought about by Autosleepers and a more substantial method should have been adopted, the lovely van is somewhat let down by this silly afterthought of a door stay. I hope this helps, Chris.
Chrisjohn
Chrisjohn

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Door catch Empty Re: Door catch

Post by Quilter Wed May 01, 2019 4:23 pm

You’re not alone Paddington, though that’s not likely to be any consolation ! 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

( For what it’s worth we now have an improvement on the red cord tied each end from door to wheel; I have attached one end to a piece of plastic, used to display single scarves in EWM, and the hook end of that hooks round one of the spokes of the alloy wheel. Still not elegant but saves getting hands dirty tying and untying a cord to the wheel   confused3)
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Wed May 01, 2019 5:13 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Could you use one of these to hold the door open. I had used two to keep the rear doors open on my van conversion. just need to measure what size.

David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed May 01, 2019 5:20 pm

Heanorboy wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Could you use one of these to hold the door open. I had used two to keep the rear doors open on my van conversion. just need to measure what size.

David

We asked AS about this type of catch, and the more flush fit ones. They advise that there is no strengthening  behind the place where it  would be fitted on the van and a strong gust of wind might well rip it off the side of the van, causing lots of damage. 

The more flush fit ones, where the door folds back flat against the side of the van at 180 deg, are likely to impede air flow to the fridge as well as possible damage if ripped off.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Wed May 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Hi ,had the same problem ,managed to fix the door stay, but it is totally useless ,so to stop the problem I put a stainless eye type fitting from B&Q and fix a bungee from that to the door bin ,it is obviously flexible so doesn't put a strain on the bodywork. I see from the latest A/S brochure that they now fit a METALARTE  type door whatever that is , but hopefully it is for the better!!  Best of luck with your door ,and enjoy your Nuevo they are great little vans      Kind regards       Paul wave
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed May 01, 2019 6:17 pm

Bungee from the handle to the wheel here also. 
From all the answers above it seems to be a tried and tested simple solution. 
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down