Novice

Go down

Novice Empty Novice

Post by TX4 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:28 pm

Hi all,
          can any one help ,its a question im sure you've been asked many times before, however I am a novice newbie all help appreciated .

I have made my mind up to purchase a VW Clubman GL from 1993-2003 4 Berth Diesel the vehicle will not cover many miles per year maybe 5-10,000 miles per year .

The dilemma which engine configuration ?

1.... IM not worried about speed, more interested in maximum MPG  
2.....Im not that keen on modern ECU engines I prefer more robust mechanical units, not that I know my way around an engine at all ,im just not   a fan of main brain lights constantly coming up sending vehicles into limp mode totally unnecessary Equally not worried about electric windows im capable of winding down a window.
3.....1.9TD  I Understand will be under powered for this weight vehicle.... That is to get the best from the vehicle 
4.... So im guessing its 2.4 or the 2.5 5 Pot 

5.... ON LINE AT PRESENT IS A 2.4 WITH TURBO INTERCOOLER CONVERSION 
6.....ALBEIT A PROFESSIONAL CONVERSION IS THIS BEST GIVEN A WIDE BERTH 
7 ....AFTER ALL SAID IM FULLY AWARE.DIFFERENT PEOPLE WILL HAVE THEIR OWN OPINIONS BUT IM THINKING WITH ALL YOUR WISDOM AND    EXPERTISE ,I WILL BE ABLE TO TAKE THE BEST FROM ALL OF YOU AND FORMULATE A CONCLUSION THAT FITS ME BEST 

2.4 with Turbo or 2.5tdi 5 pot 
                                                   Many Thanks TX4
TX4
TX4

Male

Auto-Sleeper : clubman gl
Vehicle Year : 1993-200

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Novice Empty Re: Novice

Post by easylifer on Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you may get more relevant replies if you post in 'monocoque' or miscellaneous. Happy hunting.

David
easylifer
easylifer
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Absent
Vehicle Year : 0000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TX4 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:40 pm

Thank you David , I feel a bit lost at the moment im grateful to you
TX4
TX4

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mattpc on Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:31 pm

I’ve never seen a 1.9td Clubman. If you can afford the 2.5tdi it should be the best compromise between power and economy. I’ve never driven the 2.4 but it is supposed to be slow. This doesn’t matter that much in a Clubman as although they are pleasant enough to drive, it’s more like piloting a boat than a van. More of a concern is that it has enough power to pull the thing up the more extreme hills. So I think the 2.4 would be fine but if you can afford it, get the 2.5tdi. Don’t know about the turbo conversion. Maybe research on the t4 forum about whether people hve had good experiences with these.
mattpc
mattpc

Male

Member Age : 37
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman 2.0 LPG
Vehicle Year : 1992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TX4 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:39 pm

Thanks  most appreciated ,   as I've mentioned lots of differing opinions with regard to the turbos  however I intend to enjoy the process  many thanks
TX4
TX4

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:46 pm

There is a 2001 Gatcombe (same as Clubman but with Italian woodwork) 2.5td for sale in the classified section , if not already sold.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TX4 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:49 pm

thanks all ...il take a look to see if the Gatcombe is still for sale
TX4
TX4

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TX4 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:59 pm

thank you im trying to get into classifieds at the moment
TX4
TX4

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Novice Empty Which engine for a Clubman.

Post by George Collings on Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm

I ran a 2.4 Clubman up to 95,000 miles and it only needed work on one occasion. It was  starting to smoke at 88,000 miles  so I had the injectors serviced. Problem solved. As you say it is  computer free.  I did a lot of research on the 2.4 series including the factory Turbo unit. The turbo engine had various upgraded components including thicker  cylinder head bolts but it was not marketed in the UK. My advice  would be to avoid an aftermarket Turbo.
The later 102 hp 2.5 Tdi engines are  a much detuned version of the 140hp version of that engine used in 1980-90 Audi cars. It s computerised engine management system has one of the best reputations for reliability in the business. I have the same  unit albeit driving the rear wheels in My VW LT based Medallion. I have covered around 75,000 miles in it totally trouble free. Soon after I got it I had a conversation with a transport manager about them and said I was going to look into getting access to the vehicles onboard diagnostics . He said  we have a fleet of them , dont bother they dont go wrong. 

My 3500 kg Medallion averages 27 mpg overall. On Uk motorways  I cruise at about 62 mph and get 27 mpg  but If if time is of the essence  and I cruise at  70mph it drops to 23mpg.  In the flatter parts of France cruising at around 50 mph I nudge 30 mpg. The lighter Clubman  was not so good and  averaged about 25 mpg.   Unless you are covering high mileages  dot worry about fuel consumption its ony a tiny part of  running cost.
George Collings
George Collings

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Medallion
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Sat May 04, 2019 7:55 pm

Im on my 4th Autosleeper. Ive had a 2 liter petrol Talisman, a 2 liter petrol clubman a 2.4/5 liter diesel executive and now a 2.8 liter HDI turbo Peugeot executive and by far the best MPG comes from the one I have now. I fully load all my vans because i like to glamp when im out and i even carry a scooter on the back and have done on all but the talisman. The worst MPG was the talisman and the clubman alike at an average of 22mpg, the 2.5 diesel was much better at around 25.5 mpg but this one ive got now, the 2.8 peugeot boxer gets me 28 mpg fully laden and with a heavy right foot to boot. I drove it empty last week because i thought Id sold it and when i got there the buyer didnt have all the money so i came back home fuming but I know it went over 30mpg for sure. 

By the way, I am still selling it but im going to take it out a few more times if i can, unless anyone is seriously interested in it and has money in the bank, lol, not in jewelry and euros.

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scmarf on Sun May 05, 2019 10:14 am

Hi TX4.

A quick note as we are about to embark on a 3 week holiday in the 2.5TDi Clubman. We havn't had it long but first impressions are that it does not lack power. We are spending three weeks in Devon and Cornwall so ask me again in three weeks for a definitive answer on that!

I agree with the opinion that it's like driving a boat. All part of the fun.

Must rush....

Andy and Kathy
scmarf
scmarf

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TX4 on Sun May 05, 2019 10:16 am

thank you  have a good holiday