Female

Auto-Sleeper : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Leaving The forum

Post by StewPotch on Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:14 am

-mojo- wrote:
He has already said that he is getting rid of his A/S and buying a Carthago.....
I was not intending of saying anymore on the subject BUT I find it strange you’ve been trolling other threads I have contributed too.
Strange behaviour
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:15 am

Blimey.....i step out the room for a few days and come back to a bun fight!  FM's flouncing off, disputes over batteries, amps and 'techy stuff'......it's worse than Brexit! 

all confused
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto LE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:03 am

Forgotten all about Brexit. Been in NZ a week and the above is the first time I've seen that word since we left the UK. Bliss...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy on Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:00 pm

bikeralw wrote:Forgotten all about Brexit. Been in NZ a week and the above is the first time I've seen that word since we left the UK. Bliss...
Al.
I admire your bravery....you've come back to face an apocalypse! Latest farce is government have contracted a "ferry company" in case of 'no deal' to provide services. Seaborne Freight is basically a shell company, with just £66 to its name, the CEO owes over $million, plan to use Ramsgate harbour but that's got to be dredged....oh and they have no ferries yet government are going to hand 'em £14 million.

Tomorrow 150 hgv's are scheduled to make a 'dummy run' from Manston airport to Dover and back during peak rush hours. 2,000 hgv's a day currently pass through Dover port every day, but that's as an EU member state with seamless JIT movement. If we leave we become a "third country" status involving reams of documentation to get goods in and out.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don on Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:07 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
2,000 hgv's a day currently pass through Dover port every day, but that's as an EU member state with seamless JIT movement.
If we leave we become a "third country" status involving reams of documentation to get goods in and out.
But aren't the majority (huge) carrying goods from the EU to UK?
Does that mean this traffic is worth more to the EU and so the incentive is for them to make a solution, so long as May keeps her nerve.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by postman on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:07 pm

Hang on a minute. We've had religion and now politics in the last few days. 
I'm going away in the van shortly (uk, none of your foreign muck) .
Think I'll stay 'incommunicado' for the duration.
postman
postman

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:31 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:
2,000 hgv's a day currently pass through Dover port every day, but that's as an EU member state with seamless JIT movement.
If we leave we become a "third country" status involving reams of documentation to get goods in and out.
Does that mean this traffic is worth more to the EU and so the incentive is for them to make a solution, so long as May keeps her nerve.
That's true but this still won't solve the massive issue of documentation which at the moment, as we are still an EU country, flows seamlessly in and out. If we leave, we have then chosen to make ourselves a "third country" state...the EU hasn't, so it's for UK government to get it sorted and over the past two and half years they've veered from one cock up to another. HMG's problem is they don't want to listen to people on the front line who do this work every day of their life.

Immingham also has the same problems and that takes three times the amount of Dover. Remember during her tenure as Home Sec, May also got rid of over 5,000 border force staff.

Germany as an example exports more to the US, France and China than it does to UK. At this rate we'll end up a banana republic never mind third country!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mam0809 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:18 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:
Autosleepy Don - that's the point I keep making, Britain is worth more to the EU then the other way round but nobody seems to listen to me -maybe they are just brexit'd out LOL
mam0809
mam0809
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : executive
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:50 pm

mam0809 wrote:Britain is worth more to the EU then the other way round

The BBC did an article on this as part of their "Reality Check" series a few months back, and the reality is that - it's complicated!

Some ways in which trade is measured showed a little bit in favour of one side, and some the other, but there was definitely no clear "winner" - the conclusion was pretty much that we need the EU as much as they need us, give or take only a small amount.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 19
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:08 pm

As I declared a while ago, this is one of the threads I won't participate in; but I can comment that the drift in this thread has brought a smile on my face, from reading the forum, for the first time in a couple of weeks.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:37 pm

mam0809 wrote:
AutoSleepy_Don wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:
Autosleepy Don - that's the point I keep making, Britain is worth more to the EU then the other way round but nobody seems to listen to me -maybe they are just brexit'd out LOL
UK is just one market some of those 27 countries export to and aren't self reliant on us by any means. They're trading with much bigger countries such as China and US. Here is another little 'gem' to dwell on. Arch pro-Brexiteer billionaire James Dyson announced he was going to build his electric car in Singapore.....just days after Singapore signed free trade agreements (fta's) with the EU which UK will lose. That not only enables him to cover China which is where his prime market is, but throughout the EU. That shows how little faith Dyson has for the future of Brexit UK in the direction it's heading.

Dyson isn't alone in flying under 'flags of convenience' though. On a level more in keeping with us fellow mh'ers many of whom have enjoyed escaping to the warmth of Spain over winter for five or six months every year...that's set to come to an end as the 90 day rule looms on the horizon. This has sent many Brexit voting Brits into a tizzy over how they're going to circumvent this....and believe it or not some are even applying (illegally) for 'residency' permits.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:42 pm

Peter Brown wrote:As I declared a while ago, this is one of the threads I won't participate in; but I can comment that the drift in this thread has brought a smile on my face, from reading the forum, for the first time in a couple of weeks.
Smile on Peter.....just remember to duck when the buns start flying again though!   hugegrins
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:30 am

I know nothing about Seabourne Freight finances but I wouldn't worry too much about them having no ships, easyjet had no planes and no AOC when it first started flying and they aren't doing so badly. Plenty of vessels out there available to be leased.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:14 pm

groundhog wrote:I know nothing about Seabourne Freight finances but I wouldn't worry too much about them having no ships, easyjet had no planes and no AOC when it first started flying and they aren't doing so badly. Plenty of vessels out there available to be leased.
There's a lot more to it. In a nutshell one of it's directors owes HMRC over half a million, another director is in hock to the tune of £1.8 million, and it's website t&c's had been 'lifted' off a fast food delivery site! It's also more than just coincidence in sharing exactly the same London address as Mark Bamford's Maritime law firm...who just happens to be the brother of Anthony Bamford (JCB), pro-Brexiter and major donor to the Tory party.

Grayling claims a due diligence report was carried out but won't produce the report. Hardly surprising as how can you pass due diligence on something which isn't there?

https://www.ft.com/content/16e2d6e4-1271-11e9-a581-4ff78404524e
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:39 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
groundhog wrote:I know nothing about Seabourne Freight finances but I wouldn't worry too much about them having no ships, easyjet had no planes and no AOC when it first started flying and they aren't doing so badly. Plenty of vessels out there available to be leased.
There's a lot more to it. In a nutshell one of it's directors owes HMRC over half a million, another director is in hock to the tune of £1.8 million, and it's website t&c's had been 'lifted' off a fast food delivery site! It's also more than just coincidence in sharing exactly the same London address as Mark Bamford's Maritime law firm...who just happens to be the brother of Anthony Bamford (JCB), pro-Brexiter and major donor to the Tory party.

Grayling claims a due diligence report was carried out but won't produce the report. Hardly surprising as how can you pass due diligence on something which isn't there?

The Mark Bamford is the son of Anthony Bamford's Brother, also called Mark. The Law firm is registered there, as are hundreds of other firms but Mark Bamford is only a director and is  a resident of the USA. It is not his law firm.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolyan on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:50 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:

The Mark Bamford is the son of Anthony Bamford's Brother, also called Mark. The Law firm is registered there, as are hundreds of other firms but Mark Bamford is only a director and is  a resident of the USA. It is not his law firm.
Yes, but why let the facts get in the way of a ‘Brexit Fear’ story.
Rolyan
Rolyan

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:59 pm

Have I missed something here?
Is this still a motorhome forum?? scratch head scratch head scratch head
IanH
IanH

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : DUO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gran on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:01 pm

Yes, and it it a very helpful and knowledgeable Forum too!
Every one here has a 'van, mostly bought as the result of much hard work and some good luck, no doubt.
So, why not pack up a picnic and get in these beloved 'vans and go for a drive, instead of posting about them?
Pause at a place with a good view, consume your picnic and realise just how unimportant any petty squabbles are in the short time we spend in this life.
If you do this, then be grateful that you can, and try to make the most of every day you have left.
Gran
Gran

Female

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Talent
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:08 pm

IanH wrote:Have I missed something here?
Is this still a motorhome forum?? scratch head scratch head scratch head

Well said Ian, I didn’t have the bottle being a newbie.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:00 pm

This thread certainly isn't about leaving the forum any more, the drift off subject is spectacular. For those fed up with the whole thing, topics drifting in to Brexit must be most annoying and detract from the pleasure of this forum, something no one wants.
BUT
It is not unusual to discuss non motorhome topics in the general chat area and some here are willing to discuss Brexit, in the same way there are many that want it banned as a subject.
Perhaps one answer would be to have a clearly defined Brexit only thread, with a warning if you like, so those that want to ask a question or post a comment can and those that don't are clear what the thread is about and can just pass it by. Any comments re Brexit in other threads should be moved to that area.
How about it mods?
Maybe it is time this specific topic is shut down before it becomes unpleasant again.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolyan on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:09 pm

groundhog wrote:This thread certainly isn't about leaving the forum any more, the drift off subject is spectacular. For those fed up with the whole thing, topics drifting in to Brexit must be most annoying and detract from the pleasure of this forum, something no one wants.
BUT
It is not unusual to discuss non motorhome topics in the general chat area and some here are willing to discuss Brexit, in the same way there are many that want it banned as a subject.
Perhaps one answer would be to have a clearly defined Brexit only thread, with a warning if you like, so those that want to ask a question or post a comment can and those that don't are clear what the thread is about and can just pass it by. Any comments re Brexit in other threads should be moved to that area.
How about it mods?
Maybe it is time this specific topic is shut down before it becomes unpleasant again.
The danger of any moderation is that you allow the thread drifts you agree with, and ban the ones you don’t. 

In my experience, the best way to deal with thread drift is to accept that it happens, just like normal conversations do. This morning I started talking about Costa Rican coffee and within a few minutes we were talking about seal hunting. Those that weren’t interested stopped talking about it.

Seems a lot simpler than banning subjects or proclaiming allowable thread drifts. 

Just my ‘umble opinion of course.

P.S. I hope we never get to a point where we can only discuss motorhomes. 
P.P.S.  I do sometimes wonder where and why some people get so insulted over minor disagreements on forums. NOT directed at anyone in this thread.
Rolyan
Rolyan

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:14 pm

Jeeze Rolyan, you'll be lucky to find any seals in your Costa Rican coffee...... winks
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:23 pm

Perhaps the seals were on the jars / packets?  to keep it fresh? smile!

Frank

PS there is no such thing as a humble opinion hugegrins
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down