Locked Thread

Go down

Locked Thread

Post by Cymro on Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:19 am

I see that a recent thread "Second leisure battery" has been locked. For Members unfamiliar with the thread, it had involved an intense debate, in the course of which a Member challenged the knowledge of another Member. The latter Member happens to be a respected Moderator of the Forum. A subsequent suggestion that the thread be locked not unreasonably gave rise to the perception that the Moderators were rallying around to support each other, at the expense of freedom of discussion. (The discussion, though intense, did not degenerate into intemperate language, but continued civility and courtesy did seem to be challenged.}

Before the thread was locked (for which I have not been able to find a published explanation or justification) the final post by Member AllaFEvans had continued the criticism and also had requested Members to supply various technical readings.

Had the thread not then have been locked, I would have replied by saying that whilst others might wish to continue the general debate, I do not wish to do so. I proposed not to look at it further. I had reached the end of my tolerance. But I hoped that the thread would remain open, for those with greater patience than me.

So I very much regret that it has been thought necessary to lock that thread. For Moderators, that should be the step of last resort. And the burden of fairness upon them when deciding whether to lock a thread where subject matter involves criticism of one of their number is especially high.  I'm not sure that they got it right in this case. As I said in my only contribution to that thread (on Christmas Day) “I disagree with what you say but I shall defend to the death your right to say it”. ".... all views - as long as they are expressed with moderation and courtesy - are always likewise welcome."

Cymro

PS: I found it helpful to look again at the Rules of this Forum, not having done so since joining: http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t1054-forum-posting-rules#6534
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Locked Thread

Post by Tinwheeler on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:32 pm

The thread in question showed no sign of fading away quietly and action needed to be taken to avoid deterioration.

Sometimes mods are in a very difficult position - damned if they do and damned if they don’t.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:49 pm

Cymro wrote:...I very much regret that it has been thought necessary to lock that thread. For Moderators, that should be the step of last resort. And the burden of fairness upon them when deciding whether to lock a thread where subject matter involves criticism of one of their number is especially high.  I'm not sure that they got it right in this case. As I said in my only contribution to that thread (on Christmas Day) “I disagree with what you say but I shall defend to the death your right to say it”. ".... all views - as long as they are expressed with moderation and courtesy - are always likewise welcome."

Cymro
Totally agree with you Cymro. The information provided on the thread was very useful with regards to the pros and cons of fitting a second battery. Was hoping for even more valuable information from the thread, but the lock unfortunately has put a stop to that. I do however understand why the action was taken. Hopefully the subject will arise again in this 'friendly and informative' forum.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile http://melbattersby@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:52 pm

I can see your point, Cymro, but in some threads, confrontation just seems to take over, and it finds its way into all of the replies.

When that happens it becomes (IMO) too much of a distraction - the valuable parts get lost behind the confrontation.

But fortunately it's not a subject that's new - there have been previous threads here over the years about the difficulties of making multi-battery arrangements work well, so I'm sure it's a subject that we will come back to again - hopefully next time without quite so much disagreement!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 19
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:08 pm

Most if not all of Allen Evans (AllaFEvans) comments and information on batteries can be found on his website.....

aandncaravanservices.co.uk

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfred on Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:30 pm

Gosh - I clicked on this hoping to find how how to undo the bolts on the seat over my leisure battery without going under the van to find the bolts- seems I need to find another 'thread'.
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:19 pm

I've been following the 'second battery' thread with interest, as when my 6 year old leisure battery finally gives up the ghost I'm contemplating fitting a pair, making use of the space under the passenger seat.
I seldom use EHU when touring, and my original plan was to fit as large a battery as will fit in the available space under the drivers seat, the present one being 85AH.
But having read the thread again it seems there's conflicting information, the clear water is now somewhat muddied.
It would have been helpful if the thread had ended with a consensus of opinion, locking it seems to bear out some of the comments. 
However I think the advice from AllaFEvans seems to be the most informative.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:40 pm

I suggest anyone who is interested in battery problems start a new thread.The original thread had drifted somewhat and it was maybe best to lock it.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:46 pm

I locked that thread as it had run it’s course and was deviating from the original topic.   It is not very often in members posts that this action is needed

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyRoyd on Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:45 pm

So Roli has taken upon himself to censor the thread, I am sure he had his reasons not withstanding supporting other Admins.
I feel that this was a bad move as further information could have been gleaned from the debate between alternating views and the rest of us could have learned something to our advantage.
I am not happy with censorship for the sake of a clique, as such I will not be supporting this forum anymore.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EKTBLP
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:58 pm

I have to agree with you regarding censorship Barry. As Cymro stated, the thread didn't degenerate into expletives, only reasoned argument, so I see no reason why it should have been locked.
The one consolation is the thread is still there, and members of this forum (if they have the staying power!) can draw their own conclusions.
On other forums I follow, contentious threads have been known to be completely erased!
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:19 pm

The final half of AllaFEvans last posting in the locked thread has been repeated in this thread
http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t28365-alternator-charge-voltage-with-extra-battery
By Willconquerer, so you can continue the debate there.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyRoyd on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:30 pm

Paulmold wrote:The final half of AllaFEvans last posting in the locked thread has been repeated in this thread
http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t28365-alternator-charge-voltage-with-extra-battery
By Willconquerer, so you can continue the debate there.

If that is so, why lock the original thread Paul.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:41 pm

I have and will withdraw from any debate with Allan Evans as I do not believe it right to add stress to a man who is wanting to get as much as he can from his family during the final stages of his terminal illness, something of which I was totally unaware till he raised it.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyRoyd on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:54 pm

Peter Brown wrote:I have and will withdraw from any debate with Allan Evans as I do not believe it right to add stress to a man who is wanting to get as much as he can from his family during the final stages of his terminal illness, something of which I was totally unaware till he raised it.

Respect.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum