The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

leak or no leak?

+2
burlingtonboaby
raymondo
6 posters

Go down

leak or no leak? Empty leak or no leak?

Post by raymondo Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:20 am

yesterday we had gales and over 2 inches of rain.
I noticed that the 'cardboard' flue for the gas fire was damp, not dripping wet just a bit damp.  the ceiling around it (say one inch away) was reading 15% on my Micky Mouse damp meter but 2 inches away was reading nil.

could this be water blown down the top of the flue or do I have a problem?
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

leak or no leak? Empty Re: leak or no leak?

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:13 am

Had the same problem on the Sigma ,when pitched up in Whitby during a weekend of gales and rain, soon dried out with the gas Fire on.
The Sigma a had a roof shaped like an up turned small dingy ,it collected water on the roof,I set the rear air ride or levellers to enable to water to drain off the rear.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:01 am

I had this happen when six inches of snow on the roof started to melt, water discoloured the first 8 inches or so of flue pipe.
It soon dried when the gas fire was used, but the flexible flue pipe is still stained.
I believe there's a flue outlet extension available that raises the outlet, but while this might work for snow, I doubt it would with horizontal rain...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:41 am

You don't describe the circumstances, temperature in van, electric heating in use, etc? If the temperature in the van is high and that in the flue cold, you will get condensation (a lot) on the outside of the flue.

The external flue outlet is screwed into the flue through the roof and an external rubber seal. As the seal deteriorates it is susceptible to allowing sideways driven rain in. Just nipping it up might cure or you may need a new rubbers seal.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:27 am

You don't describe the circumstances, temperature in van, electric heating in use, etc? If the temperature in the van is high and that in the flue cold, you will get condensation (a lot) on the outside of the flue.

the van is parked up unheated, the flue had new rubber seal fitted (precautionary) maybe two years ago, there is a flue extention fitted (fire wouldnt light on even a breezy day without it).

The weather was horrendous with driving heavy rain for 12 hours or more I will lift the drivers side a bit to make sure that water isnt pooling around the flue and see if that helps
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

Post by Slaphead Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:35 am

I always pop a plastic bag over the cowl when my 'van is not being used in the winter. I did notice the wet rings on the flue pipe a few years ago and started using a bag.  Never have a problem now, just remember to take it off when starting to use the 'van again!

Dave C.
Slaphead
Slaphead
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Medallion (Merc)
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Asp Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:08 pm

I noticed on my motorhome that the flexi stainless steel chimney flue does not go high enough to sit under the lip in the plastic chimney , water can get between the flue and plastic chimney and wet the cardboard.  I bought a new chimney and had made a top hat section 100mm long from hard nylon , it was a tight push fit into the chimney,  there is a bevel edge this top hat  lip can sit on,  I put a bead of glue where the lip of the top hat sits to form a seal once pushed in it acts like a funnel , the water can drip down the flue and out at the bottom, , the gases from fire can still get out as the walls of the top hat was only 1mm thick. The machine shop measured the chimney and made it to suit. Cost of nylon and machining was 40 quid  new chimney 16 quid. Hope this helps
Asp
Asp

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down