The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotswold Rear Wheel Removal

+2
Tinwheeler
Paulmold
6 posters

Go down

Cotswold Rear Wheel Removal Empty Cotswold Rear Wheel Removal

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Hi  Was having new tyres fitted today Fronts ones were fine but when the fitter tried to remove the rear wheels he could not  remove them because the wheel spats were preventing this, no matter how he tried there was no way they would come of. I suggested he phone auto sleeper and speak to Mark who said there should not be a problem but obviously there is a problem because as stated the fitter tried everyway to remove them without damaging the wheel spats It looks like auto sleeper have not tried taking the wheels of after fitting the body shell  Has anybody had this problem and did they resolve it  Just hope I don't get puncture in the mean time
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Cotswold Rear Wheel Removal Empty Re: Cotswold Rear Wheel Removal

Post by Paulmold Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:33 pm

Read this thread, it may help

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:55 pm

Our Suffolk was the same. 

The answer is in the thread Paul has linked to.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Cotswold Rear Wheel Removal Empty Cotswold Rear Wheel

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:05 pm

Looks as though it is the 16" wheels are the problem . I will have to contact auto sleeper to see if they will able resolve the problem by fitting new wheel arches although or modifying the originals  I doubt if they though will as my Cotswold is now 7 years old
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:49 am

Hi
   Has the fitter tried jacking the motorhome up on the chassis if it is strong enough so the axle drops down,that may give enough clearance
Regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:46 am

Tugg wrote:Looks as though it is the 16" wheels are the problem . I will have to contact auto sleeper to see if they will able resolve the problem by fitting new wheel arches although or modifying the originals  I doubt if they though will as my Cotswold is now 7 years old

If you read the thread linked above you would note that the problem with the wheel arches only applies to the new Corinium with the Alko chassis. Again in the thread linked above you are told how to remove the rear wheels on your Cotswold, the instructions are in the AS handbook if you have it.

Jack up the chassis using the Peugeot designated jacking point (not the axle or anywhere else) until the rear wheel is above the ground with a gap more than the width of the wheel. Remove the bolts (or nuts) and drop the wheel to the ground then push the bottom back under the van till the wheel is flat on the ground, then pull it out towards you. Reverse to re-fit.

This procedure works on the thousands of AS coachbuilts out there, you just need to find a fitter who will listen to the advice.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:16 pm

Can't find the wheel changing instructions in my AS manual, though it is referenced in the index as Page 4.1 but 4.1 doesn't mention it. Probably as it is MB chassis with no spare wheel.

The Cotswold manual does say:-

Jacking
Front and Rear - use the standard jacking
points as per the base vehicle handbook.
When changing a rear wheel raise the
vehicle to the maximum extent of the jack. In
order to clear the skirt when removing the
wheel, tilt the bottom of the wheel under the
vehicle and allow the top of the wheel to fall
outwards and clear of the hub.
Reverse the procedure to fit the new wheel

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:49 am

I have been in touch with Auto Sleeper regarding this issue . Still waiting for a response
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:23 am

I contacted Auto Sleeper nearly a month ago regarding issue with rear wheel removal as it has  been a problem with other Motorhomes   As of yet I have not received a reply  so much for customer service
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:55 am

I think you'll find that AS are shut down for the holiday period. 

How did you contact AS, members may be able to suggest another contact method. 

Instructions as to how to remove/replace your rear wheels are given earlier in this thread, it is not a generic problem.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:50 am

I contacted them by their email at customer services . The tyre fitter  tried the methods  suggested but there was not enough room for the wheels to  come of without damaging the wheel arch so he would not proceed.  I have had look under the wheel arch and I think there may be a way that might give a bit more clearance and that would be to release the bracket that is fixed to floor at the front of the wheel arch has anybody any ideas whether this would help
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:58 am

Peter Brown wrote:I think you'll find that AS are shut down for the holiday period. 

How did you contact AS, members may be able to suggest another contact method. 

AS should be open (they reopened yesterday). They've never been good at emails ( I'm still awaiting an answer from service dept that I emailed over a month ago) I do wonder if stuff goes into their spam box if it's an email address they don't know. I think you would be better phoning Mark in service dept.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:51 am

Some years ago, because several members reported difficulty removing the wheels, ASOC raised this as an issue with AS. A demonstration was arranged by AS where the wheels were removed from several models without difficulty.

It took me about 45 minutes to convince some German technicians to try 'my way' and find they could get them off. My local garage has two high lift trolley jacks that they use on the chassis jack points and they have the wheels off in a minute.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:06 pm

Ok thanks for feedback  I will have to get tyre company to have another try with the advice that has been given
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:13 pm

Peter Brown wrote:My local garage has two high lift trolley jacks that they use on the chassis jack points and they have the wheels off in a minute.
  Not exactly something supplied in the tool kit under the seat Peter  hugegrins   as it eats into payload.  Still say this is poor design, any van should have the ability to change the wheel at the side of the road using the tools provided. A simple fibreglass  wheel arch held on by some dzus fasteners or similar would enable wheel change easily as used in the old Citroen ds etc
     Having used the services of the AA/ RAC to change my company vehicle  wheels even they did not a large high lift jack on board , only a regular trolley jack for ease of handling.
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:54 pm

I would like to thank  everybody for feedback. I have now had rear tyres fitted and the way to do it is to lift van as high as possible and then by unscrewing the bracket at the front of the wheel arch which allows the arch spats to be pulled outward then this allows the wheel to drop down. I hope this helps anybody that may have the same problem
Anonymous

Back to top Go down