Bike lock with siren

Go down

Bike lock with siren

Post by joeirish on Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:53 pm

We are thinking of getting a bike lock with an alarm. There are lots of different types out there and just wondering if anybody has used these. The idea is that it would be in addition to other locks but has the advantage of making a loud noise if anybody tries to steal bikes which would wake us and also act as a deterrent. Something like this seems good http://store.lockalarm.com/about/
joeirish

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bike lock with siren

Post by boxerman on Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:29 pm

Have a look at lockpickinglawer's Youtube channel. He tests a lot of cycle / motorcycle locks, not only picking them open but using the tactics a thief would use to get the lock off.
The 'Litelock' for instance, which is - according to various youtube videos - undefeatable, he got through in 16 seconds.

Might help you make up your mind.

BTW I have one of these http://tiny.cc/jm8c1y for the motorbike. The alarm is mildly irritating and not at all loud.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:49 pm

Don't buy one of  THESE hugegrins

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:54 pm

Better, if you are using this when your bikes are on a bike rack, would be a cheap rape / personal alarm. 

Tie one end of the cord to the bike and the other end to the bike rack with the alarm in the middle. When the bikes are removed the peg pulls out of the alarm and you have a truly vomit- inducing and long lasting very loud siren. It won’t stop until the peg is re- inserted and that is not easy to do in the dark or in a panic. Certainly wakes the neighbours !
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joeirish on Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:47 pm

Quilter wrote:Better, if you are using this when your bikes are on a bike rack, would be a cheap rape / personal alarm. 

Tie one end of the cord to the bike and the other end to the bike rack with the alarm in the middle. When the bikes are removed the peg pulls out of the alarm and you have a truly vomit- inducing and long lasting very loud siren. It won’t stop until the peg is re- inserted and that is not easy to do in the dark or in a panic. Certainly wakes the neighbours !
Now that's a good idea. Just can't tell which ones have a button to set them off and which have the peg. I've sent some messages to sellers. Thanks.
joeirish

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by matts vw on Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:04 pm

Hi, I had a cable alarm as in your link in first post, worked great for the first few times, then after some serious rain, a few days later, it started going off randomly day and night, very annoying, I think it was rust as apposed to water as did it when I had dried it out  for several days, the cable end has to make a connection so isn't fully plated, good idea for somewhere dry, used it just as a deterrent without a battery afterwards for rest of the holiday, I personally wouldn't buy another

Matt
matts vw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper : sandhurst
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:50 am

I saw a bike alarm which was coupled to the vans alarm which I thought was a good idea that the lady had had fitted.  
Peter knows her (LI) better than I and may know more details but if the van is already alarmed it may be worth considering

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:04 am

roli wrote:I saw a bike alarm which was coupled to the vans alarm which I thought was a good idea that the lady had had fitted.  
Peter knows her (LI) better than I and may know more details but if the van is already alarmed it may be worth considering
Hi Roger

That might have been a Strikeback or Growler alarm from Vanbitz.  https://www.vanbitz.com/

They have a loop of cable (white in our case) that plugs into a socket under or at the rear of the van. It has a connector in the middle and is looped and threaded through the bike(s). If the connector is pulled apart or the cable cut, the van alarm goes off - and believe me, everyone in the next village would be woken up!!

Not cheap, but arguably the best alarm available.

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:31 am

Yes it's the VB alarm that has the facility

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member