The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Campsite TV points

+5
inspiredron
Cymro
PLOUGHLIN
Paulmold
jetty
9 posters

Go down

Campsite TV points Empty Campsite TV points

Post by jetty Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:56 pm

I am taking advantage of a TV point on our pitch this weekend at Hillcroft Park Ullswater. On previous trips elsewhere I have used the aerial on the Nuevo roof with unpredictable results on sites where reception is poor.

Can anyone confirm that  all I need do is buy a 25m coaxial fly lead (male to male) and simply plug it in to the external point on the van and attach the TV as I always have inside the van.? Am I missing anything!!??

Thanks
jetty
jetty
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Campsite TV points Empty Re: Campsite TV points

Post by Paulmold Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:04 pm

If you're using outside connection on van check inside the little box. If you only have one connector in it then you need an F connector to screw on and convert to female coax socket. You also need same for internal connection. If you have two connectors in the outside box then you don't need to do this, just connect as if you were taking straight to TV.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Your theory is correct, but many people have found that the AS fitted external point doesn't necessarily work. Alternative is to put the lead directly into the TV Ariel point.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:06 pm

That's the theory. You then use an additional short co-ax to connect your TV set to one of the coax output sockets inside the van. When you switch on your TV you'll probably have to rescan channels (but follow the handbook).

However, it's not unknown for AS to wire the internal points incorrectly. I recall threads on the Forum about this.

That works for me. But there are experts on the Forum who wil no doubt amplify the above [no pun intended!] and / or correct me!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:18 pm

If you go straight to TV you can get a flat coax strip so you can shut the window you bring the cable through.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:42 pm

If you use the outside socket and then plug your TV into the socket plate in the van then the TV lead needs a coax plug on the TV end and an F Plug in the socket plate end. The normal coax to coax lead WILL NOT WORK. Documented frequently on this forum.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:29 am

jetty wrote:I am taking advantage of a TV point on our pitch this weekend at Hillcroft Park Ullswater. On previous trips elsewhere I have used the aerial on the Nuevo roof with unpredictable results on sites where reception is poor.

Can anyone confirm that  all I need do is buy a 25m coaxial fly lead (male to male) and simply plug it in to the external point on the van and attach the TV as I always have inside the van.? Am I missing anything!!??

Thanks

Notwithstanding the previous replies, we’ve been to Hillcroft a couple of times and the external lead (as you describe) has worked perfectly for us. On other sites where the signal is poor and an aerial point has been provided, we’ve had to resort to using the flat connector through a window (or locker) with the lead going straight to the TV. There have been explanations given for the possible reasons, all I can tell you is some places it works and some it doesn’t.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:23 am

inspiredron wrote:If you use the outside socket and then plug your TV into the socket plate in the van then the TV lead needs a coax plug on the TV end and an F Plug in the socket plate end. The normal coax to coax lead WILL NOT WORK. Documented frequently on this forum.
 I suspect that the above will depend on the date of the van, and on its wiring.

In my Nuevo, I connect a coax cable (with coax plugs at both ends) from site's supply socket to the external TV socket on the outside of the van; and then another identical coax (shorter) cable from one of the coax sockets inside the van into the coax input of the TV. Usually works perfectly, after retuning the set.

I wonder,Ron, whether in your case the internal wiring was crossed? Seems odd that the coax input at the outside emerges from the F socket on the inside.  But I may have misunderstood both what you have by way of sockets, and what you've described. Clearly, however, our vans differ in what works!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jetty Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks for the useful advice that everyone has contributed. Now more help needed!!

The external maxview casing on the side of the Nuevo is proving difficult (impossible) to open. I assume the hinge is at the top. Should I/dare I gently force a  knife into the lower part to try and ease it ? At the very bottom, hidden from sight without bending , there is a "groove" in the plastic but perhaps that is just decorative and not designed to slide??

Thanks.
jetty
jetty
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:57 am

Ah!  I had exactly that experience recently. I hadn't used the external socket for about 2 years. I couldn;t remember how to open it with out breaking it. You're correct: it hinges at the top. I just nipped outside to check - and couldn't open it initially. But I used a 10p coin and put that against the nib which projects down under the cover (i.e. coin between wall of van and the nib) and twisted the coin out from the wall of the van (without marking it). That prised open the cover. Shall apply WD40 or similar in an attempt to make it easier. No doubt with use it will be.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:43 pm

Yes, same here. I just use a key to prise it open, it looks like it’s meant to “click” shut to stop it flapping.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by jetty Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:18 pm

Thanks for the advice.  The cover now opens!!
jetty
jetty
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:34 pm

Hi , Ron and I have the same rubbish wiring,Coax outside and Sat (F type) inside ,and the external socket about as far as possible from the TV! Have rewired it with the socket just below the TV along with a twin input Sat socket , much more sensible ,but that's A/S for you! Best of luck with it , Kind regards  Paul  wave
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:37 pm

PS.just noticed Ron and mine are both 2012 ,must have been a bad year at A/S for wiring!  Regards   Paul
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:58 pm

paul bullock wrote:PS.just noticed Ron and mine are both 2012 ,must have been a bad year at A/S for wiring!  Regards   Paul
This issue has been covered many times before on this forum.  I believe thatit has something to do with the wiring of the aerial booster that sits in the wardrobe on my van.  Maybe different vintages have different boosters.  I have never actually checked it on my van but what I quoted was what i had discerned from previous posts.  I will do a quick search and update this if I find anything.

PS - Covered in this post
https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t11308-tv-aerial-connections
and on page 9.9 of my manual wher it says that when using the outside aerial connection point the TV MUST be connected to the SAT socket on the itrenal connection plates. The thread that I referenced does mention another thread but I have not found that one.  So I am surprised that others have a different wiring.  I suppose that the answer is always to rtfm!

Last edited by inspiredron on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added PS)

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:41 pm

When we bought the Rienza I didn't notice the small box outside but found two coax cables in the bottom of the cocktail cabinet, one f-type, one normall plug. The sales person had to ask some one from the workshop were the leads connected to.
I have a length of coax cable to link to the coax socket on serviced pitches to the box on the side of the motorhome. The coax cable in the cocktail cabinet plugs into the tv. I use a locker key to open the box lid, it has always been tight. The booster in the wardrobe is only used with the airel on the roof.
I assume the f-type is for satalite tv, not something we have.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:02 pm

We have for the first time tried using a mifi unit to avoid all the faffing around with TV aerials and cables. We have a contract with three for unlimited data at £20 a month which also gives a pretty good signal at home. It does now mean we can watch TV and unlimited internet anywhere there is a phone signal, haven't tried it in Europe yet but it should work fine there too so no satellite needed.

Maybe this is the future, you can get contracts which are much lower usage and flexible to increase to unilimited when you are travelling.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down