The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grey water disposal?

+8
plattypus
Johno
eggnog
Dutto
Bartfarst
RML
BobK
SJR
12 posters

Go down

Grey water disposal? Empty Grey water disposal?

Post by SJR Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:05 pm

We will be setting off on our maiden voyage soon, I think we are virtually ready. I am just unsure about the grey water disposal. Do I need a container to drain the tank into for disposal or will there be a drain that I park over?

Cheers,

SJR
SJR
SJR

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Grey water disposal? Empty Re: Grey water disposal?

Post by BobK Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:12 pm

This will depend where you are based ... some sites have "drive over drains" just like a normal street drain in which case there is no problem. Some may be situated in such a manner that you require a short length of hose to divert the waste into a drain. If you are stationary for several days and don't want to move the van, drain it into a bucket and then dump it at a suitable receptacle. Some upmarket sites may even have a dedicated waste point on your hard standing. If all else fails, a street drain in a suitable lay-by en route could be used .... after all it is likely to be no more than soapy water .

BobK
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:34 am

Hello SJR, good luck and happy motoring. I put a small capful of disinfectant down the sink before using the grey water tank, then when it's drained it doesn't smell too bad if you have to leave it for a few days. I've also invested in a pair of manhole (personal access cover - for the pc brigade) keys for just a couple of quid - saves bending the screwdrivers - as some small sites have closed covers.

Don't forget the corkscrew!

Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:40 pm

BobK wrote:If all else fails, a street drain in a suitable lay-by en route could be used .... after all it is likely to be no more than soapy water .

I suspect many of us have had to resort to this at some time or another, but just to point out that in strict terms it is not really acceptable to do this as such drains are for storm purposes, not linked to the sewers. The general public can also 'get the wrong end of the stick' sometimes when seeing any form of dumping of fluids so it's best to be avoided.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : 1995 Boxer Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Hi there,

Somewhere on this Forum we read about using "Tesco Best Concentrated Orange Cordial" at about 29p a litre. We chuck about a quarter bottle down the sink after we have emptied the waste tank and have never had any smells. allthumbz

A mate of mine, looking around Petal for the first time, noted the waste tank system and reminded me of the good old days when every caravan carried a bucket with a small hole in the bottom! Positioned beneath the waste-water outlet it looked very effective on site and seldom needed emptying!! lol4 lol4

With regard to emptying the tank on Petal when wild camping I find that most lay-byes have drains on them and I have no compunction about dropping the grey water tank into them. What we put down the drain pales into insignificance when you look at the litter and road-kill that ultimately finds it's way there!! tap_fingers

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by eggnog Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:20 pm

I'm probably going to get flamed for this. But here goes anyway. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The French view is that what we call 'grey water' is waste water from personal hygene and kitchen use. It's water, it goes in the ground. If you want to do something really useful, dump it on the hedge or on a flower bed. In more arid places to waste such water would be regarded as almost criminally foolish.

Now this worries me, because I don't (on principle) like agreeing with the French. 'so_sad' But my view is, Yep it's water, get on with it. What I don't do is leave it in the tank any longer than absolutely necessary nor do I put anything in it (disinfectant for example) that would affect plant life. A good mate of mine from up the pub is a retired plant scientist with a Doctorate in cereal genetics. Every drop of domestic waste water generated by his household finds it's way via a Heath-Robinson system of pipes and syphons onto his garden. His plants win prizes.

OK, so the waste water tank needs an occasional clearing out with something fairly aggressive to get rid of the grease and soap residues. That DOES go down the drain.
eggnog
eggnog

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Down here in the softy, drought stricken South East using grey water for watering the garden is fairly common practice nowadays and one soon aquires the palate for Imperial Leather flavour peas. snigger

Cheers John. up!
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by plattypus Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:16 am

I picked up this tip from Wildcamping forum.
Get a plastic carrier bag fill it with grass from the hedgerow, stab holes in the base and tie on to the end of the grey waste pipe, the grass will catch all the bits and pieces and the grey water will sink away. to dispose tie up bag and dump in bin. allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 2006 Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 am

plattypus wrote:I picked up this tip from Wildcamping forum.
Get a plastic carrier bag fill it with grass from the hedgerow, stab holes in the base and tie on to the end of the grey waste pipe, the grass will catch all the bits and pieces and the grey water will sink away. to dispose tie up bag and dump in bin. allthumbz

Hi Roger,
At the Shows, many moons ago, a stand was selling a plastic pipe fitting to do the same thing (don't know if they sold any, as you could buy the bits yourself) .... the plastic bag idea is much better allthumbz
Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:14 pm

plattypus wrote:I picked up this tip from Wildcamping forum.

What a great idea, I just learnt sumfing!! Thanks.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by eggnog Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:24 pm

Mrs Eggnog's suggestion this was - not mine. A length cut off of a ladies stocking (Ooh, er, Missus [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) tied over the outlet tap works a treat as a filter.

It has to be black, of course.'smile!'
eggnog
eggnog

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:08 pm

eggnog wrote:Mrs Eggnog's suggestion this was - not mine. A length cut off of a ladies stocking (Ooh, er, Missus [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) tied over the outlet tap works a treat as a filter.

It has to be black, of course.'smile!'

Not 'Fish-net' tights then hugegrins

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by tcarne Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:45 am

a very amusing set of posts!

on my scout camps we've always used the grass / straw / hay method for straining grey water, collected it in a bucket and watered the hedges.

i didn't know about the tights / stocking bit tho' - sounds an ideal way of filtering for meevan - well done mrs eggnog. up!

trish
tcarne
tcarne

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Grey water disposal? Empty Waste water water disposal

Post by murph Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi All,
We have a fine strainer on the kitchen sink drain ( cost £1 I think) it stops most but not quite all of the rubbish in grey water, as we use a small plastic wash up bowl to save water but of course if you use the sink you will have whip it in quick when you pull the plug out.
When I first got it about 2 years ago it suprised me just how much it collected, particularly scrambled egg and similar foods. But in spite of this I do like the idea of the bucket with a hole in it,but it is just 1 more item to find a home for when on the road, so the plastic bag strainer may be a better idea.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Brian

murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Grey water disposal? Empty Grey water disposal

Post by murph Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:02 am

Hi All,
Recent discusion on grey water disposal has prompted me to produce a filter which will fit the standard AS tap. this uses 2 of the garden ties mentioned below attached with cable ties to fasten round the tap, a piece of washing machine hose, and a popsock or the foot of a pair of tights. I dont think even the smallest food particals will get through that.

This poses another question, does anyone else use them, for those who havent seen them before they are garden plant ties which I use as removable cable ties very useful for some purposes.

murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down