The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas Smell

+6
Stewart John
Maasai Warrior
gemdeco
SteveUK
mikethebike
Gromit
10 posters

Go down

Gas Smell Empty Gas Smell

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:49 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Today at 7:37 pm

Hi  I think I might have a gas leak from my Thetford Caprice Mk 3 Cooker.  As you enter motorhome I am getting quite strong smell of gas which seems to be near   the cooker area  I have isolated the  cooker and the fridge  with the isolator switches but still smell gas , although it might be just lingering before isolating . Has anybody had a problem with gas leaks on their Cotswold ?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Gas Smell Empty Re: Gas Smell

Post by Gromit Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:12 pm

Please don't start identical threads in two forums. It always leads to confusion, and in this case might even lead to you missing important advice.

Mine would be (advice that is) to get a qualified gas fitter to check your van - as a matter of urgency. Gas doesn't take prisoners, and it's just not worth taking any chances.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:50 pm

Best to turn the gas off at the bottle.then get an expert to check.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:17 pm

Indeed - get a professional in.

I had a similar experience and it was the fibre washers in the isolator taps that were all past their best.  I recall that it was about £50 to get a registered gas fitter to take a look, check everything and renew the washers (also put on a new hose from the regulator for good measure).

A lot cheaper than a new motorhome!
SteveUK
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:34 am

Hi
   I agree a gas fitter is the best option and he can do a pressure test, but you can use soapy water around the joints if you feel competent  
regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:53 am

Can you also smell gas outside? A connection on our LPG tank needed tightening, carried out under warranty by AS Service Centre. The smell also drifted into the van, initially making it difficult to trace.

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:42 am

hi i also thought gas would go down,BUT when i smelt gas in the van,i got it checked  and it was the gas bottle connection not tightened enough.I have a strong spanner for that job now. up!

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Stewart John Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:39 am

Hi

In my 35 years of caravanning and motorhomes I have always smelt gas in the gas lockers. It like the bottles have to vent off some how.? shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz 2.0 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:46 am

Stewart John wrote:Hi

In my 35 years of caravanning and motorhomes I have always smelt gas in the gas lockers. It like the bottles have to vent off some how.? shrugg
There should be a gas drop out hole under every joint in the gas pipe and the hole under the bottle should be quite large. Not so large to allow animal life to enter though.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:46 am

Stewart John wrote:I have always smelt gas in the gas lockers. It like the bottles have to vent off some how.? shrugg

No - it means there is a leak!

Obviously it depends on your setup, but the metal POL type connectors used for propane are very susceptible to leaking if the "nose" of the connector has even the slightest deformation. I've always changed mine for the type with a rubber nose section which are much better - though if you do that you have to take care not to over-tighten the joint.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:16 pm

Do not use washing up liquid for leaks ,it contains salt  if you do clean with water
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:57 am

:shrugg:I seem to be attracted to other people troubles. Before we went away on our latest trip I replaced a gas bottle and in conversation with my supplier he asked how old our bottle to regulator pipe was. As it was on the van when we bought it I agreed to change it. On his advise I bought one that required a spanner not the type with a plastic knob . He said they seal better not having a rubber seal that can perish. 
The first weekend at an air show and proms concert my wife thought she smelt gas. I couldnt find the leak so we left it until we moved to Cheltenham.
After a couple of days the smell was getting really bad. After a lot of checking with soapy water around the new bottle and pipe I found a leak at the crimped metal fitting on the new pipe at the bottle end. Asking the site owners for directions I bought a new pipe from a local caravan dealer. 
I have gone back to the none spanner type pipe. No leaks now but it cost me a full bottle of gas over four days. This proves how much can leak out from a small leak and any smells shouldnt be ignored. 
My local gas supplier has refunded me for the faulty pipe and sold me a new bottle at half price. Maybe a free bottle would have been nice but his bottles are cheaper than most so it is a start.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:04 am

The OP is obviously not very concerned as he hasn't been back to check on the advice offered.

Hope he hasn't gone on holiday with a gas leak!!!!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:13 pm

Thanks everybody for comments  I have had the Gas system checked and everything was ok
Anonymous

Back to top Go down