The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dometic fridge makes whistling sound.

5 posters

Go down

Dometic fridge makes whistling sound. Empty Dometic fridge makes whistling sound.

Post by Patrick Macdonald Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:01 pm

My Dometic fridge,RM7271 on my 2006 Inca, has started making a loud whistling noise when on 12 volts and travelling. Is it a broken fuse,and if so is it easy to replace? It works fine when on mains connection on site.
Patrick Macdonald
Patrick Macdonald

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Dometic fridge makes whistling sound. Empty Re: Dometic fridge makes whistling sound.

Post by Gromit Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:47 pm

Tell us what tune and we may be able to help!!  lol4

Sorry, couldn't resist.

But seriously though, is it only when you are travelling, because if so I would suspect wind noise? I can't see how the fridge itself could whistle. Have you checked your outside vents to see if they are secure?
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Dometic fridge makes whistling sound. Empty Re: Dometic fridge makes whistling sound.

Post by Quilter Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:32 am

Agree with Dave; this sounds like the problem.

Inside the vents, on our Broadway anyway, there are fly screens which tend to fall off. While you have the vent(s) off it might be worth checking that these are secure. Ours used to rattle in wind and it was only thanks to this forum that we found the source of the irritating rattle.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:54 am

I'm assuming the fridge is actually working on 12v or is it not and hence the mention of the fuse?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Dometic fridge makes whistling sound. Empty Dometic fridge makes whistling sound.

Post by Patrick Macdonald Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:24 pm

Thanks for suggestions. It is more of a hissing sound. I do  not know whether the fridge is working, because we have switched it off when the noise starts. I do not think it is wind noise!

Last edited by Patrick Macdonald on Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo!)
Patrick Macdonald
Patrick Macdonald

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Does the noise occur when the engine is running, the fridge 12v switched on but the van not moving? You say the noise stops when you turn the fridge off with the 12v switch on the fridge; if so the source of the noise must be a component in the fridge itself.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down