Single carriageway road

Go down

Single carriageway road

Post by bristol170kj on Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:22 pm

Has the rule changed recently??  I understood that you can cross a dotted white line in the centre of the road when there is no obstruction.  In other words if a car is parked in the road and there is a car approaching then I must give way?

It appears that more and more people are ignoring this and overtaking parked cars regardless.  I've just had to slam on the brakes to avoid loosing a mirror because some clown didn't want to slow down and came onto my side of the road.

Driving standards appear to be getting worse and some drivers are forcing their way through narrow roads.
bristol170kj

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Single carriageway road

Post by Bad Penny on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:19 pm

After being away on holidays and returning home, we always know how close to home we are by the standard of driving. My son who lives in Devon, says the same thing when he returns home for a visit.
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:24 pm

I command the road in such situations.

If the road is wide enough for a parked car, me on the opposite (clear) side of the road and just enough room for an oncoming car to squeeze through between me and the parked car, I will put myself well wide and effectively block the oncoming vehicle's path, making it give way before it reaches the parked car.

If it doesn't give way, it will be at a virtual standstill before I clear enough room for it to pass. It's as simple as, their side of the road is blocked and I refuse to drive in the gutter detritus or bottom my suspension in sunken drain grates, because someone is too impatient for a second or two.

It's never gone wrong yet, but if ever does, the fact that I'm on my own side of the centrelines, along with my dashcam footage is security enough for me.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 56
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:46 pm

Kingham wrote:I command the road in such situations.

If the road is wide enough for a parked car, me on the opposite (clear) side of the road and just enough room for an oncoming car to squeeze through between me and the parked car, I will put myself well wide and effectively block the oncoming vehicle's path, making it give way before it reaches the parked car.

If it doesn't give way, it will be at a virtual standstill before I clear enough room for it to pass. It's as simple as, their side of the road is blocked and I refuse to drive in the gutter detritus or bottom my suspension in sunken drain grates, because someone is too impatient for a second or two.

It's never gone wrong yet, but if ever does, the fact that I'm on my own side of the centrelines, along with my dashcam footage is security enough for me.
That's exactly what I was trying to do but the women in the other car was either determined or blind.  I would have either lost the mirror or have scratches/dents down the side.  I don't have a dash camera.  Maybe time for one.
bristol170kj

Male

Member Age : 68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:31 pm

bristol17l wrote:  I don't have a dash camera.  Maybe time for one.
Most certainly, our £80 Snooper dash cam paid for itself ten times over when successfully claiming almost £900 for offside damage to our van last year. 'A picture paints a thousand words' Other insurers paid up immediately on receipt of video evidence. Also camera for car and more recently helmet cam for electric bikes. When away in van, we tend to cycle for most of the day so it's not surprising when witness to some quite scary encounters with inconsiderate driving that can put us in danger.

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RML on Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:28 pm

Own the road if your side is unobstructed. I find people have either forgotten or try to bully their way through. 
Rich..
RML

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:13 pm

I don't disagree, but on the other hand it's a bit awkward if you are already half way past a long line of parked cars, and someone just approaching from the other way keeps on coming "because it's their right of way!"

Where do they think you can go?? All they have to do is pause for a moment and let you clear the obstructing cars, but some of them (often big 4 x 4 pose wagons!!) try to force you to reverse back and let them through . . . by which time there are several cars stacking up behind you. Then you have a classic gridlock, with still more cars crowding in behind the idiot.

The daft sods are too thick, or self important, to realise their lack of courtesy and consideration delays themselves far more than necessary.

It happens all the time outside the school near us. Absolutely no give and take, so every morning there's a gridlock and much hooting and shouting of obscenities. A splendid example to the junior school kids and their Mums!!

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:06 pm

I ~think~ the Highway code guidance on this changed, quite a few years ago now. Unfortunately I can't find my ancient printed copy of the Highway code to compare with the current version, but I'm fairly sure it used to say that vehicles on the unobstructed side of a road with a centre line have priority. It no longer says that anywhere that I could find.

But despite that I have to agree with the principle of "owning the road" where it's reasonable to do so. Confusions can often lead to accidents, so if you make your intentions clear to the person coming the other way it's got to be safer.

And I agree about legless Mums in 4x4s! I often see the amusing spectacle of lots of Mums in their Discos, Range Rovers and Porsche Cayennes, vying to get a parking space as close as possible to the school gate, and then refusing to give way to other Mums when they want to leave. It's very common to see them trying to bully drivers of smaller cars out of the way...
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit on Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:00 pm

The "phenomenon" of not giving way seems to have crept into everyday driving. Although we have some fairly wide side streets about here, when there are cars parked either side, a lot of drivers want to drive up the white line. It appears that a lot of drivers are unable to judge the width of their vehicles, that and (what seems to be) drivers sitting in too low a position to make a proper judgement about their road position.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp on Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:08 pm

I agree totally that everyday courtesy has disappeared from driving. Aggressive driving seems to be the order of the day, and if you object instead of acknowledging their mistake they just make rude gestures. I first noticed this in the south, but alas we’re just as bad up here now. For instance it was the norm to be flashed out into a queue of traffic, let the bus out from the stop etc, but now either they ignore you or are blind to your existence.

Harry

harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:01 pm

By coincidence I was talking to a Ghanain friend a few days ago about driving standards. He's driven in lots of countries all over the world, and he reckons that drivers in the UK are some of the most polite he has come across - so it could be worse!
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HairyFool on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:18 pm

I too wish I could find my old Highway Code. The basic rule for roundabouts used to be "give way to traffic on the roundabout approaching from the right.

The local council have a liking for painted roundabouts here and drivers approach as if they have right of way even though they are 20 metres away or more.

Sometimes I am tempted to do a U turn just to see the reaction. The trouble 40Mph+ is not that uncommon even though it is a 30 limit.
HairyFool

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:37 pm

-mojo- wrote:By coincidence I was talking to a Ghanain friend a few days ago about driving standards. He's driven in lots of countries all over the world, and he reckons that drivers in the UK are some of the most polite he has come across - so it could be worse!
Ghana.... now there is a mecca for fine driving! Agree UK drivers are not the worst in terms of aggression but they are certainly far from the best!!

Statistically I believe the UK along with Sweden has the safest roads in the World in regard to fatalities.

Last edited by groundhog on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : info)
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:24 am

Actually he's from Guyana, not Ghana!

I blame my PC's auto-correct for being on the wrong continent - though I doubt the driving standards there differ a great deal from Ghana...
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum