Wanted Autosleeper Trooper

Go down

Wanted Autosleeper Trooper

Post by Garrytcx on Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:59 am

Hello

Wanted VW T5 Autosleeper Trooper in good condition which has the pop up top with the hard fold out sides ( not the canvas)
Preferably 2007 year or later
Preferably Automatic with the 2.4L Diesel engine
Preferably with VW service history

As I am a new member I am unable to post my number or email address

Thanks in advance Regards Garry
Garrytcx

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Autosleeper Trooper

Post by -mojo- on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:21 pm

Garrytcx wrote:

Garry - that should be OK as members here can PM you anyway (apparently it's a one-way restriction for new members).

Good luck in your search - Trooper production numbers were dropping fast by 2007 (because AS kept putting the price up) and autos are fairly rare as it was quite an expensive option. We had to settle for a 2005 model as we couldn't find anything more recent at a sensible price after many months of looking. We also have a Bilbos Celex, which is not a bad substitute for a Trooper, overall.

(BTW, to be pedantic, the 5-cylinder in the T5 is classed as a 2.5l engine.)
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrytcx on Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Hello Mojo

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Did you actually manage to find an auto in the end?
Do they have an outside gas point?

Thanks Regards Garry
Garrytcx

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:07 pm

Garry - yes - 6 speed Tiptronic. They did make a small number with the 7-speed DSG but they are very rare indeed in my experience, and I don't think any had the solid-sided roof.

No, I don't believe an external gas outlet is fitted as standard - at least, none of the ones we looked at had one.
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrytcx on Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Hello Mojo

Thanks for the info
How many miles to the gallon do get on average?

Thanks Garry
Garrytcx

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:49 pm

I'm not the main driver of the Trooper - I always drive the Celex, so I know the MPG for that but not the Trooper.

Celex (with DSG) has averaged 37 MPG over the 5 years I've owned it. I would guess at something around 30 MPG for the Trooper because the 5-cylinder engine is not very efficient, but that really is just a guess.
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:40 pm

...our Trooper (1.9TD, manual) regularly does 38/40 mpg, we usually use it just for longer journeys. I find the performance quite good enough...I have had a Trident 2.5 in the past, prefer the smaller engine, particularly as it has the 5 speed 'box.
Seem to be in the minority as most Troopers advertised have the bigger engine.
That's probably why it took a long time to find the right vehicle...I was fussy about the colour as well, it had to be Wheat Beige.
Incidentally, be prepared for a lot of interest when camping....it's quite normal for our leisure time to be interrupted (nicely, of course) by people showing an interest.
Happened again just a fortnight ago in Suffolk, and a month ago in Portmadoc. We're always glad to show off our Trooper...and sometimes right at the end there's a wistful voice saying "can I give you my phone number if you ever sell".
Troopers appeal more to sensible mature owners who are more likely to look after the vehicle, so you're unlikely to see a neglected one.
The high top version, Trident, was always more popular - on the Autotrader website tonight there were 5 T5 Tridents, only 2 Troopers, and even those were the last ones with fabric roof, naff interior, and crazy prices.
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:51 pm

I've never driven any of the 1.9 PD-engined T5s but I'd agree that overall it's a good choice. The 5-cylinder is more advanced and (obviously) a fair bit more powerful, but in some respects it's too complicated. Great not to have a cambelt to worry about, but it's prone to failures that VW should really have done better on (e.g. camshaft wear on the pre-DPF engines, and a very failure-prone water pump, among other things).

However, if you're in the habit of driving fast on the motorway (I'm not) then the 5-speed box may be a limitation and that alone could be a reason to go for the 5-cylinder, which AFAIK always has the 6-speed as a manual.

The other thing is that the OP wants auto. I can't recall ever seeing a 1.9 with auto transmission - were they ever made in that spec?
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:05 pm

...don't think the older ones were made in that combination, but there's a 2 litre auto on a 14 plate on Autotrader.
At a steady 60 on cruise mine is just wafting along quietly at just under 2000 rpm...as the modern saying goes, what's not to like....
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopman on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:24 am

Garrytcx wrote:Hello

Wanted VW T5 Autosleeper Trooper in good condition which has the pop up top with the hard fold out sides ( not the canvas)
Preferably 2007 year or later
Preferably Automatic with the 2.4L Diesel engine
Preferably with VW service history

Thanks in advance Regards Garry
Garry
Not sure if you have seen this one, it's not an Auto, bit pricey but probably a little bit unique, with one owner and low miles, claiming FSH. 

https://www.carsofchichester.co.uk/used/motorhomes/volkswagen/transporter/t30-swb-tdi-autosleeper-trooper-4-berth-pop-top-motorhome-212

Hoopman

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe LE
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrytcx on Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:34 pm

Hello Hoopman

Thank you for posting the link and I have seen that one it does look very nice.
There is also a nice white one in Bridgend slightly newer but more miles and an older one in Bournemouth for sale and they all seem to be very nice but manual gearbox.
As Mojo has said above he had to wait many months for an Auto which would be our preference but maybe not a necessity

Thanks Regards Garry
Garrytcx

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:47 pm

...just out of curiosity I looked at the link to the Chichester Trooper - I didn't think it too pricey considering it's rarity value. in '09 they were making very few Troopers, this must be one of the last with solid roof, the last ones returned to the elevating fabric roof (electric). The interior too is traditional, soon after the cabinet work was redesigned with tambour doors and fewer cupboards. So this is a "real" Trooper.
By way of a rough comparison, our Trooper is an '07, had one owner, 23k miles, and over four years ago I paid £27k privately....so a newer, rarer one with the back up from a dealer for £32k doesn't sound too bad at all.
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Auto Sleeper Trooper for sale

Post by DAFYDD on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Having just read your interest in purchasing an AS Trooper, I thought you may be interested in giving my vehicle a thought or two. If you have seen the white one in Bridgend at Lee and Turners ours is very similar but in metallic silver. My vehicle is on an 07 plate, 2.5 litre engine with a six speed gear box and has done 68,700 miles. It has just had an MOT no issues found. It is in very clean condition and has been garaged all the time we have had it. If you are interested and would like to see some pictures please get in touch.
DAFYDD

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrytcx on Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:18 pm

Hello DAFDD

Thanks for the response but we're really looking for something with less Mileage on it but thank you for your enquiry

Thanks Garry
Garrytcx

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:52 pm

Hi Garry - I know everyone loves a low mileage van, but 68k miles on a 5-cylinder T5 would not worry me, provided it passed inspection Ok and had full service history. They have relatively few "known issues" and are designed for a life of hundreds of thousands of miles - 400k would not be unusual for an airport taxi van, for example.

I know that people have different views on this, but IMO 6k miles per year is pretty low for a commercial vehicle!
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrytcx on Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:21 pm

Hello Mojo

Thanks for the info on mileage and your thoughts.
We have looked at a few troopers now and have just taken the plunge and bought the one advertised at
Lee and Turner in Bridgend and hope to pick it up next week.
When we get it I'll post some pics here.
Thank you all for the info that you have provided
Regards Garry
Garrytcx

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:56 pm

That does look very nice - as a 2010 model, definitely one of the last of the proper ones. IMO the wooden facings look very much better than the vinyl-type facings used on the slightly older ones.
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:46 pm

..glad that you've got a good result without too much searching - it took me months !
IMHO of the two, I would probably have gone for the Chichester one, but Bridgend being nearer to you might have made a difference.
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrytcx on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:33 pm

Hi Reoort

We did view the Chichester one first in the morning then drove to view the Bridgend one before driving home to near Manchester.

We did like the Chichester one it is 1 owner with I think 16k on the clock and is only 14 to 15 months older than the Bridgend one with 32k on the clock and has had 3 previous owners.

Both vans were in very good internal condition and they both had some paint marks on the outside which you would expect and there was a lot of deliberation over a couple of days as to which one to buy (1owner against 3, 14 months newer but higher mileage)as they were both nice examples but in the end if came down to colour choice both internally and externally.
The White one from Bridgend is also coming with a fresh Habitation and mechanical service and 12 months warranty (habitation and mechanical although I know these policies have many get out clauses so as to not pay)

I will of course wish it was an automatic especially when quieng on some motorway somewhere

Thanks Garry
Garrytcx

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:47 pm

....always a tough call when there's a choice of very similar 'vans !
IMO colour is always first choice when you have to see it every day. Mudflaps help with white !
Never ever had anthing Auto but all my T5's have had a good easy change, gets better with age.
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content