Whats The cost of running this website

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Whats The cost of running this website

Post by Constan42 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:21 am

Ok, A bit brutal and to the point, but how much does it cost to run a site like this ?. I ask, because I came across a post on one of the usergroups on here (Could have been this one), and the subject of donations came up. Different Mods came back with replies, and indicated substancial costs to the Admin. My question is could anybody be a little more specific about these costs, as in Pounds.shillings.and pence. I am new to the forum and because of the vibes I get from this Forums members, quite unlike ALL the other Motorhoming/camping forums I have been on, I can tell you,this place of yours is very unique. I see none of the Aggressive / Pushy / Cliquey behaviour that Mods tolerate on other sites. You get the feeling (though they would NEVER say so), is that they see their forums as a buisness adventure first, and they are out to just push expensive ( in my mind) Subscriptions on every page you turn. This site is SO not like them. the standards on here are impeccable,and I have'nt seen ANY aggressive posts at all. That is the site I want to make a donation to.
    So to answer the question, how much is the Admin out of Pocket to run this Forum financialy
Constan42
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whats The cost of running this website

Post by roli on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:54 am

I have no idea what Ed pays for this site and he has chosen not to say.   He accepts donations which members choose to send from time to time. Anything extra he has funded.

What I can tell you is our radio club website hosting which carries a forum  (no where near as active as this) along with quite a bit main content is £17/mth (the nearest average to US $)

No names but I was the original moderator on what was at one stage a very large forum until I retired (due to pettiness of others) As it happened Dave was a mod there also.  It grew into a business and was sold and is now run as a business but I don't think its as big as it was. Not looked for a while, must look so I can be sure of my facts.

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Constan42 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:24 am

roli wrote:I have no idea what Ed pays for this site and he has chosen not to say.   He accepts donations which members choose to send from time to time. Anything extra he has funded.

What I can tell you is our radio club website hosting which carries a forum  (no where near as active as this) along with quite a bit main content is £17/mth (the nearest average to US $)

No names but I was the original moderator on what was at one stage a very large forum until I retired (due to pettiness of others) As it happened Dave was a mod there also.  It grew into a business and was sold and is now run as a business but I don't think its as big as it was. Not looked for a while, must look so I can be sure of my facts.
Thanks Roger, I only ask out of genuine interest in the actual running costs and can't believe somebody would fund a venture like this at a loss. Again, I have no problem running a site for profit neither. If I enjoy the service and its giving something of value and enjoyment via the community, then a donation is fair in my mind. I'm hooked on the site, to be honest,there isnt another like it, and I never felt the desire to donate to the other sites,simply because I thought they where in it to push subscriptions and Insurances,there just seemed a lack of honesty about the places. I'm not normally one for groups and clubs because in every single one that I have been in,their has always been that element of petty jealousies or little cliques forming. I might be envious of a lot of you on the Forum, because I bet a lot of you have very beautiful expensive vans, I can honestly appreciate them for their beauty, but I could never deny somebody having a beautiful van,just because I couldnt have one myself. Thats Jealousy and I hate it. When I get my little Symbol Van, I'm going to feel as rich as anybody.
     Can I donate via paypal ?
         Regards
            Graham
Constan42
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:49 pm

Constan42's appreciation of this Form neatly summarises what most, if not all, Members feel about it. It is unique: ever helpful, constructive and polite. It really is a pleasure. So much so that many Members are perfectly happy to donate money from time to time to keep it going. Again uniquely, Ed Watts never calls for donations - which inspires me to make voluntary contributions when I remember. I regard that as a small price to pay for an addictive Forum.
As Roli (a Moderator) said, Ed has chosen to keep private the financial details, but he must have made a big contribution - in time and in hard cash - to establish and maintain the Forum. The Forum's administration is low key (well nigh invisible) with no need for Committes and the like: it just works, thanks to the efforts of Ed, Roli, Gromit, PeterBrown and PaulMold.

Long may it flourish!

Cymro

PS Graham: yes, you can donate via Paypal.
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Well said that man! up!

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Constan42 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Cymro wrote:Constan42's appreciation of this Form neatly summarises what most, if not all, Members feel about it. It is unique: ever helpful, constructive and polite. It really is a pleasure. So much so that many Members are perfectly happy to donate money from time to time to keep it going. Again uniquely, Ed Watts never calls for donations - which inspires me to make voluntary contributions when I remember. I regard that as a small price to pay for an addictive Forum.
As Roli (a Moderator) said, Ed has chosen to keep private the financial details, but he must have made a big contribution - in time and in hard cash - to establish and maintain the Forum. The Forum's administration is low key (well nigh invisible) with no need for Committes and the like: it just works, thanks to the efforts of Ed, Roli, Gromit, PeterBrown and PaulMold.

Long may it flourish!

Cymro

PS Graham: yes, you can donate via Paypal.
Well said Cymro. As a matter of interest it would be interesting to know the percentage of members who do make a donation, not to alienate those that don't, thats an individuals choice, but I think it would be quite high ?
Constan42
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:07 pm

The statistics at the foot of the Home page suggest that there are some 6,420 registered users; of them I guess (however that is but a stab in the dark) that perhaps some 300 are active "posters". I think that many of the registerd users join with a view to buying or selling but, for whatever reason, don't participate often (if at all) after their initial postings. I've no idea how many of the active Members make a periodic donation, but I suspect it's quite a high percentage.

Whilst I've no idea how many members make a financial contribution, it doesn't bother me whatsoever if they don't do so. Some may not be able to spare the odd £10; others may be too mean. Many certainly contribute in kind, sharing their invaluable expertise and experience: that's worth more than cash.

It doesn't matter. The fact is that - for me - this Forum is a hobby, and I'll happily pay for it. Which , I'm sure, goes for all those other members who donate. And it's so civilised that it's all voluntary, with no demands but reliance on conscience.

Aren't we lucky!

Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Constan42 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:33 pm

Cymro wrote:The statistics at the foot of the Home page suggest that there are some 6,420 registered users; of them I guess (however that is but a stab in the dark) that perhaps some 300 are active "posters". I think that many of the registerd users join with a view to buying or selling but, for whatever reason, don't participate often (if at all) after their initial postings. I've no idea how many of the active Members make a periodic donation, but I suspect it's quite a high percentage.

Whilst I've no idea how many members make a financial contribution, it doesn't bother me whatsoever if they don't do so. Some may not be able to spare the odd £10; others may be too mean. Many certainly contribute in kind, sharing their invaluable expertise and experience: that's worth more than cash.

It doesn't matter. The fact is that - for me - this Forum is a hobby, and I'll happily pay for it. Which , I'm sure, goes for all those other members who donate. And it's so civilised that it's all voluntary, with no demands but reliance on conscience.

Aren't we lucky!

Cymro
It really is an amazing site Cymro,I was playing around with the members post stats, and was quite amazed, like you hinted, that there are so few really who are regular Active posters, its only the top 2 percent really,and that surprises me somewhat, They are all probably out on the Road partying, while I'm sat here guarding the Mothership smile!
Constan42
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:22 pm

I have been on another forum, I will not name it, I quickly came off, due to the attitude, nastiness, lack of respect I couldn`t believe some of the members on there. 

I am a member of two others, although only look in now and again I`m afraid, this is a lovely forum, and I am pleased to donate to, after all it cannot be easy, and must be time consuming.but it is greatly appreciated.

So thank you Ed.

If paying by Paypal as  I do,  I didn`t find anywhere to put my user name so that Ed knows who it is from, as he requests, so I send a PM to him.

Best regards,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst and Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2003.98

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham on Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:30 pm

Like a couple of posters above, I thought that a high proportion of regulars would donate to this excellent forum, however once I saw the actual numbers, I was surprised that there are not that many.

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t14100-autosleeper-owner-forum-supporters-donators
A timely reminder for me to add this year, to the last two up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:06 pm

57 Actually donate, wow!!!, that is low, how many actually bother to post ? 

There must be more regulars than  that .

After all the help that is freely given on this forum, that must save some a few pounds.

I think I had better keep quiet, I know some members have been on for years and are not donaters, everything costs and someone has to pay for it. If Ed finds it hard to continue, we will be the losers.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst and Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2003.98

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:19 pm

Well, well!  I'd not seen that list of donors, Kingham. Thanks for the link.

Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:35 pm

Couldn't find my name on this latest list yet I thought I'd added a small extra donation when buying a couple of ASOF stickers 'recently' - just checked back and it was 3rd July 2017 - doesn't time fly!  Diary note made to put some more in the kitty when we're back from France and on secure t'internet, which'll be around the same date this year.

rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Constan42 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:55 pm

daisy mae wrote:I have been on another forum, I will not name it, I quickly came off, due to the attitude, nastiness, lack of respect I couldn`t believe some of the members on there. 

I am a member of two others, although only look in now and again I`m afraid, this is a lovely forum, and I am pleased to donate to, after all it cannot be easy, and must be time consuming.but it is greatly appreciated.

So thank you Ed.

If paying by Paypal as  I do,  I didn`t find anywhere to put my user name so that Ed knows who it is from, as he requests, so I send a PM to him.

Best regards,
Margaret
Wow Margaret, I was wondering why my name button ? hadnt turned from common Blue member to Noble Red Supporter, I'm in the Red Team at last, no groans please  allthumbz. I payed by Paypal like you,but didnt realise that I had to enter my Username on payment. I too got teed off with some of the Antics going on, I thought that Mods where supposed to deal with some of the more unsavoury comments going on. I will still go on them to read the posts, but to be honest, I spend most of the time on here now, a much more refined group on here, I am still learning the site and there is so many usergroups on here that I'm sure I'm posting in the wrong sections with my sense of humour. I would like to talk more about the hands on aspects of Motorhoming,but seeing as I don't have a van yet, it seems pretty pointless.I wouldnt understand anything anyway. I've got to say, everbody has been terrific, but boxerman Frank gets a special mention,the guys a Saint. Now I'm off to find Mr Admin and tell him,that if I'm not in the Red Barrons team by Sunrise,its pistols at dawn, 10 paces, and they dont call me Davy Crockett for nuthin chinwag

Last edited by Constan42 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Secondary education)
Constan42
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:05 pm

You need to scroll down the list to see donators in 2017, 2016, and earlier.

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Constan42 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:40 pm

Kingham wrote:Like a couple of posters above, I thought that a high proportion of regulars would donate to this excellent forum, however once I saw the actual numbers, I was surprised that there are not that many.

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t14100-autosleeper-owner-forum-supporters-donators
A timely reminder for me to add this year, to the last two up!
Big round of applause for Kingham, what a Star  allthumbz hulahoop-girl lets_dance
Constan42
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:48 pm

I feel a red glow of embarrassment 
I missed 2015!
frederic   :0_blush:
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2009

View user profile http://rathlarg@btinternet.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Constan42 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:07 pm

frederic wrote:I feel a red glow of embarrassment 
I missed 2015!
frederic   :0_blush:
I name thee Sir Frederick of Stranraer, Rise Sir Frederick   celebrate1 handshake
Constan42
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Constan42 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:29 pm

daisy mae wrote:57 Actually donate, wow!!!, that is low, how many actually bother to post ? 

There must be more regulars than  that .

After all the help that is freely given on this forum, that must save some a few pounds.

I think I had better keep quiet, I know some members have been on for years and are not donaters, everything costs and someone has to pay for it. If Ed finds it hard to continue, we will be the losers.
Well said Margaret,I actually went through the percentage of regular posters and I was shocked to be honest,its between 2 and 3%. the amount of time that the few give to help the many is disappointing I think. Like my old dad use to say, bless him, "Theres too many people riding IN the cart,and not enough pulling it" . As to the donations, you could find the ACTUAL numbers, but I suppose you don't want to turn this into a name and shame game.I don't think theres any need for any public hangings People for one reason or another may not afford the £5 or £10, but me myself went through the numbers,hence why I started this thread .My conscience told me it was only the right thing to do. I don't speak for others.
Constan42
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:23 am

Only a small 'f' as I did actually join in 2011 apparently smile!
frederic

Actually on further consideration perhaps this chat line may be a source of embarrassment for Admin and others.
Ones choice to contribute to this site really is between Admin and ones-self, and an acknowledgement by him is thanks enough.
The last thing we as a group want is people to feel pressurised into contributing monies, participation is really enough, donations a bonus!
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2009

View user profile http://rathlarg@btinternet.com

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:19 am

Due to other pressures donations are not always added quickly by Ed so please be patient.  Be assured all donations large or small, frequent or infrequent are appreciated.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:19 am

I’m still waiting to turn red! Lol

I appreciate the man himself is busy
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Fairford

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:41 am

Lorfal wrote:I’m still waiting to turn red! Lol

I appreciate the man himself is busy
It's a little more than "busy" Lorfal.

Ed has family health problems, the details of which I am not aware (and none of my business anyway smile! ) but I know they occupy a lot of his time. He tends to the forum as often as he can, but sometimes he's unavoidably absent for quite some time.

You will get your rosy glow - don't worry!  up!

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham on Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:07 pm

frederic wrote:......The last thing we as a group want is people to feel pressurised into contributing monies, participation is really enough, donations a bonus!

I mostly agree with that sentiment, but I have also seen a few other excellent forums sold to overseas commercial interests and ruined to the point of virtual collapse.

It would be a shame if this one was running at such a financial loss that Admin ever see fit to let it go, which for me provides sufficient incentive to help out.

Hopefully open discussion will incentivise a few more members, without actually pressuring them and again that is important to me, as voluntary contributions are exactly that.... voluntary up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:52 pm

Just for interest, if someone donates a fiver, the forum costs him/her 1.37 pence per day.

Is that a cheap hobby, or what . . . and one little snippet of money saving advice makes it the bargain of the century!  up!

No - the millennium!!!

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next