The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitted reversing cameras

3 posters

Go down

Fitted reversing cameras Empty Fitted reversing cameras

Post by Biscuit Wed May 30, 2018 12:14 am

Hi,

Can anyone recommend someone to fit double reversing cameras on my Gatcombe. There are several firms around manchester area, but has anyone used one of them.

Thanks

Pat
Biscuit
Biscuit
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Fitted reversing cameras Empty Re: Fitted reversing cameras

Post by daisy mae Wed May 30, 2018 8:15 am

The firm I bought mine from, come highly recommended,I  didn`t know this when I bought mine, 

But they have fitters around the country, who will fit for you, recommended by the seller.good reviews, cost of fitting approx. £150  I can recommend the twin cameras. A very good firm to deal with. DRW Electronics ....(.drwood@btinternet.com )  rear view camera specalists, after service excellent. a family firm, no connection, just a very satisfied customer.

AS charged me £724.24 for fitting twin cameras and sealant around a window 

Best wishes,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscuit Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi,

I have found a couple of firms who fit Reversing Cameras, but I am a bit worried, it being fibreglass if it could cause a leak in the roof.

I have seen the photos that one of the members posted, has he glued his on. Dont want my Gatcombe damaged

Pat
Biscuit
Biscuit
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:14 pm

No leak in roof if fitted correctly. 

I had an Anniversary Clubman, same as your Gatcombe,had twin cameras fitted,  no damage to body, gromits were  fitted into the holes where the wires go,

I also have twin cameras fitted on my Amethyst, same body, My husband has just finished fitting  replacement cameras as one failed and was replaced by seller. inside where the cupboard goes we filled the back of the gromits with sealant, to make sure everything was water tight. kitchen wall cupboard was removed to replace cameras. as that was the way AS fitted it, instead of leaving the connections accessible.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscuit Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:02 pm

Thanks again for swift reply, was thinking of putting attachment on the ladder to fit them on. I always come up with ideas, but would still have to. Drill for wire.
Was just an idea
Pat
Biscuit
Biscuit
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:39 pm

Camera wouldn`t be in the middle, what  is wrong with fitting them as they all are on here.? most anyway. 

The way professionals fit, them, they have been done this way on these monocoque bodies for goodness how long, as far as I know there hasn`t been a problem.

Pat if you don`t mind me saying so, I do mean this kindly, you seem to be looking for problems . and making hard work out of it .

There is an awful lot of friendly help and advice on this forum, many are experts, I have been given lots of help and advice since I first joined this forum with my first Motor home, over six years ago, I am on my fourth, it is given freely and with good heart to help others. Information is on this forum, do your research and have faith. Life is too short .

Just enjoy your van, that is what it is all about. Happy  camper

Very best wishes,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscuit Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:58 pm

Hi,
I have had lots of help from the forum, but I  have seen so many caravan and motorhomes had damp probs with screws etc, so like to put my mind at rest.
Took your advice and I am on DKW website, looking at the ones with a finreglass cowl.
Never knew there was so many different ones.
Thanks
Pat
Biscuit
Biscuit
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:15 pm

Biscuit wrote:Hi,
I have had lots of help from the forum, but I  have seen so many caravan and motorhomes had damp probs with screws etc, so like to put my mind at rest.
Took your advice and I am on DKW website, looking at the ones with a finreglass cowl.
Never knew there was so many different ones.
Thanks
Pat
Most damp in monocoque  bodies, come from Skylights, windows or leaking water pipes. 

In caravans and coachbuilt styrofoam built ones they have numerous seams around the body and these are notorious for leaking, had two caravans with bad water damage, one was brand new. back end had to be rebuilt, the first one was an older one and had to be rebuilt, that was my fault, slipped up there, that was costly. a big learning curve. these were wooden  framed.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscuit Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:38 pm

My last caravan was a Romin which had a fibreglas shell, the only leak I got was when the window seal went.
Never had any other trouble, and I knew about the Autosleeper so I decided to get one.
The Romini had a 2" sandwich of insulation, so I used short screws dipped in sealant so the hole was filled and did not let water in.
I was speaking to a man at storage who had just found damp in his caravan, through a lose screw. He replaced it and sealed it, then hoped it would dry out, which I doubt it would, but I could be wrong. 
Pat
Biscuit
Biscuit
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by landyman Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:06 am

After lots of research including this forum I bought the twin camera with the cowl from DRW Electronics. It was the only company I could find that sells the cowl with it,
I paid a little over 200 for it and fitted it myself to my Pollensa. 
Fitting is a bit involved to get the wires to the front for the viewer but not too bad for any competent diyer. I fitted it where I wanted it (centre above rear window) and did not have to remove any cupboards while fitting it. But thats a Pollensa. Other vans may be different. Easy to waterproof any drill holes.
I would highly recommend DRW and I think they have fitters in most areas.
landyman
landyman

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:27 am

The only reason the kitchen cupboard was removed to replace cameras because, 

AUTO-SLEEPERS REMOVED THE CUPBOARD to fit cameras in , in the first place, and to get to the connections the cupboard had to come out, not recommended. I wasn`t happy the way this was done.

When I had the cameras fitted to my Clubman, had a mobile MH firm to fit them, they didn`t remove the cupboards, and it was the same configuration as my Amethyst. The only reason I went to AS as wanted window checked. 

I also highly recommend DRW and if you cannot fit it, they have local recommended fitters all round the country, as landyman said,  Dave at DRW is also  a Motor homer. He will look after his customers even if the warranty has run out.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Fitted reversing cameras Empty Fitted reversing cameras.

Post by Biscuit Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:39 am

Hi,

Will be ordering my cameras, and 10 metre cable should be plenty.

Thank you for the recomendation.

Regards

Pat
Biscuit
Biscuit
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down