The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bourton combined smoke and wind detector

+4
Mike187
MikeJJ
daisy mae
LDPD
8 posters

Go down

Bourton combined smoke and wind detector Empty Bourton combined smoke and wind detector

Post by LDPD Tue May 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Anyone had this happen? The smoke detector is situated just inside the hab door on the hinge side. If the prevailing wind (ours was Scottish recently) is in the right direction the alarm will go off when you open the door. Shut the door and it stops. Thinking of moving the detector to the oposite side of the rear roof window. Anyone thoughts/advice/observations would be appreciated.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Bourton combined smoke and wind detector Empty Re: Bourton combined smoke and wind detector

Post by daisy mae Tue May 15, 2018 10:58 pm

My smoke detector is in the same place as yours, haven`t noticed the wind affecting as yet, only went off when doing toast a bit too much. biggrin

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Bourton combined smoke and wind detector Empty Re: Bourton combined smoke and wind detector

Post by MikeJJ Wed May 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Ours is in the same place and we have been out in windy conditions but no false alarms. 

Might be worth getting it replaced under warranty.  I had to do this a couple of years ago on a previous m/h and the alarm manufacturer sent me a new one.
MikeJJ
MikeJJ
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : MB - Burford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Wed May 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Yes ours does the same, a bit of wind and it sounds off! Thinking about I'm not sure it has done it since I replaced the battery last year, not saying there is a connection between the two. 

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed May 16, 2018 4:49 pm

I loathe that thing!  It sounds the alarm at the slightest provocation: certainly can't allow us to make toast or similar in peace! Pity its sensitivity is inevitably fixed and not adjustable. It takes a brave or reckless person to jettison it, because I suppose it could save my life when I'm asleep, but it is surely one of the most irritating "improvements" between my 1998 Clubman (no fire alarm) and my current 2015 Nuevo (which has the alarm).

Cymro

PS; The title of this post presumably refers only to meterological wind!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed May 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Get one that is "toast proof", supposedly.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed May 16, 2018 5:16 pm

Mine is an Angel make, only sounded the once when I did the toast too much, burnt it actually, my grill works too well  / quick at times.  hugegrins

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Wed May 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Cymro wrote:
PS; The title of this post presumably refers only to meterological wind!
I have a sophisticated detector capable of giving an audible vocal warning if we're thinking along the same lines!!!!!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed May 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Yes, can detect 1ppm without audible clues.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sun May 20, 2018 8:29 am

Our Angel  alarm is fitted on the hinge side of the door.Whilst cleaning the van out yesterday I left the door open whilst I collected the dyson. On my return the smoke alarm was chirping. Thinking the battery was getting low the wind blew the door shut. The alarm stopped chirping. Once I finished my chores I decided to check the alarm battery. It was down to 7 volts. Until I checked the forum this morning I wouldnt have thought the wind would have triggered the alarm. When we got the van the alarm was on the wall next to the cooker, I couldnt stop it going off. I bought a new combined alarm and moved it. Only toast still wakes it up now. 
When we were on an Aire in France recently there was a smoke alarms going off at an early hour. Just to make sure there was no threat to us I had a look to find a uk vans with the door open and a pot cloth being used to clear the smoke. The toast they then chucked out was more carbon than bread. I think the even the seagulls would reject that. 
Note to self fire blanket maybe a good idea.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldercow Sun May 20, 2018 9:25 am

Yes our smoke detector did the same two weeks ago on Skye - so windy could hardly open rear door & when going in or out the smoke detector would go off in you ear - painful.
Aldercow
Aldercow

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Stanton
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:47 am

Further to my OP we were sitting out recently under the awning with door open when a sharp gust of wind set the alarm off. It stopped as quickly as it started when the wind dropped.  Looking at either relocating the detector or fitting an alternative to the one fitted. Already tried new batteries.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down