The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying Advice

4 posters

Go down

Buying Advice  Empty Buying Advice

Post by TriciaB Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:40 pm

Hi 
we are looking for a Pollensa on a Ford chassis. Are there any issues we need to be aware of, are they prone to rust?
All advice much appreciated as it will be our 1st motorhome.
Tricia
TriciaB
TriciaB

Female

Auto-Sleeper : looking to purchase
Vehicle Year : 2000-200

Back to top Go down

Buying Advice  Empty Re: Buying Advice

Post by daisy mae Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Welcome Tricia,

Rust on the chassis, look under the bonnet down to the left, on some of  the ones I looked at there was loads of rust, bottom of doors look everywhere really,

Inside take a damp meter, as the bodies built like that can leak, also skylights and windows can, don`t be put off by that, it isn`t just Pollensa, all models including new ones as some have found.

I was going for a Pollensa, then changed to a monocoque bodied one. which I preferred as the body doesn`t leak no seams, same layout as the Pollensa,  still on a Ford, I had  a job to find a good one, they are out there just have to look  that bit harder I found. applies to all models.

when I did get a good one . first thing I did was to get it waxolyd underneath, recommended.

They are nice roomy vans, look at the ceiling is it level, one I saw was bulging over the kitchen area, toilet door wouldn`t open without touching the ceiling, full of water, so walked.

Has it full service history ? has it been looked after,? don`t be put off with very low mileage or high mileage, these engines are work horses. and will go on and on when looked after. regular oil and filter changes helps a lot.

Good luck and hope you find your dream van,

Forgot, check windows next to the window stays, some get cracks, expensive to replace, caused by not closing windows correctly, when open,  push  up again and slowly let down, not just to pull closed, that causes the cracks.

Best wishes,
Margaret

Last edited by daisy mae on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : word missing)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by TriciaB Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:35 pm

Thank you Margaret, really helpful.

Think we may be looking for something a bit smaller now. As most of the time just 2 of us, but want to take  grand kiddies, so looking a Neuvo ES as can convert to 4 seated belts

Thanks again

Tricia
TriciaB
TriciaB

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicnaen Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:56 pm

Tricia, I have a Nuevo ES 2011 I am thinking of selling. Message me if you are interested. I’ve had 20 months without any issues but looking for a slightly larger vehicle.
Nicnaen
Nicnaen

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:54 pm

Hi
   Sorry Tricia to post this but I am very concerned about your proposal of converting a Nuevo to 4 seat belts,The seat belts first must be forward or rearward facing and the anchorages part of the structure of the motorhome. On my AS Surrey the seat belts were fixed to a heavy steel frame that was then fixed to the chassis.You will find that there are very few 4 seat belt motorhomes on the market I am not trying to sell it to you but my AS Surrey is for sale
Regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by TriciaB Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:01 am

Thank you. all for your advice. We compromised on belts to 3, and are now very happy owners of a Talisman, looking forward to getting out & about !!
TriciaB
TriciaB

Female

Back to top Go down