The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

starter problem on Broadway

3 posters

Go down

starter problem on Broadway  Empty starter problem on Broadway

Post by barriemynyddisa Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi ,can any one tell me if they have had a problem with the starter motor on there Peugeot Boxer ,my Broadway has been in storage over the winter but every 3 weeks i have been taking it out for a 30+ miles run ,on Friday started no problem took it out for a run with the wife ,no problem ,this morning i wanted to bring it home as i will be using it next week ,it did not start as quickly but did fire after 3 or 4 seconds ,drove home 5 miles ,parked on my drive ,but decided to move it back a touch turned the ignition and nothing happened and then the whole display lost power no lights or anything ,after finding the fuse box under the bonnet i found the main ignition fuse 30 AMP had gone i went out and bought 2 put in and all lights up but just get a wirring when i try the starter motor (not a clicking like i used to on my car in the past ) but the fuse ok ,by the way i have a solar panel and every time over the winter the both battery displays Leisure and Vehicle show 13+ and good ,can any one advise or point me in the right direction
barriemynyddisa
barriemynyddisa

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : broadway
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

starter problem on Broadway  Empty Re: starter problem on Broadway

Post by -mojo- Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:19 pm

There are obviously quite a few components that could be at fault, but the first thing I would be looking for is evidence of rodent damage to the wiring - because that's usually one thing that you can find through visual inspection alone.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by spanner Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:01 pm

May be a poor connection or duff battery.
Have you tried starting it with a decent set of jump leads, also try using the negative jump cable directly to a good earth point on the engine itself as there is a possibility that the original earth lead to the engine is at fault.
If the starter voltage is very low the pinion gear may not be engaging with the flywheel ring gear.
spanner
spanner

Male

Member Age : 104
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:16 am

as above, could be any number of things but, a few years ago, Fiat posts were awash with poorly fitted earth straps and it was so common that recommendations were made to replace it even before you had a problem as you were virtually certain to do so....
I realise this is a Peugeot but there are very many common components and fitting processes...
good luck....
search MMM forum and you'll get loads of info...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by spanner Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:10 am

As suggested above have a look at the link below, you are not alone !

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
spanner
spanner

Male

Member Age : 104
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:36 pm

The only reason I suggested looking for physical damage is because a duff battery or a poor earth connection will never blow a 30 Amp fuse!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by barriemynyddisa Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:24 pm

thank you to every one who commented ,an auto spark has just had a look and informed me that there is a problem in the coil on the s/motor so a new one is required unfortunately he is not equipped  to do the job so as it is parked on my drive facing the wrong way i have a problem trying to find a garage who will fit it here ,if any one knows one in the Flintshire area i would be grateful for a few leads ,
barriemynyddisa
barriemynyddisa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by barriemynyddisa Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:44 pm

sorry i did not update on my problem = auto spark rang me back next day and informed me he had found a fitter who would come out and replace starter motor  on my drive ,£250 for starter and  fitting ,ouch!!!! now new tyres needed
barriemynyddisa
barriemynyddisa

Male

Back to top Go down