Thoughts on Automatic VW base or Fiat

Go down

Thoughts on Automatic VW base or Fiat Empty Thoughts on Automatic VW base or Fiat

Post by jt55 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:13 pm

Hello,
Would be interested in what folks think about going for an automatic transmission on a VW or Fiat base? 
Am considering selling my VW Clubman manual and going for an automatic Sandhurst (VW base) or Autotrail Tracker EKS (Fiat base).  Having owned the Clubman for 5yrs I am biased towards autosleeper and VW. I have heard that Fiat Auto transmission is very smooth and would be a cheaper base vehicle to repair / maintain. Having said that I have not had any trouble at all with my Clubman and it passes MOT's first time.
Any thoughts much appreciated
JT smile!
jt55
jt55

Female

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : clubman
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Automatic VW base or Fiat Empty Re: Thoughts on Automatic VW base or Fiat

Post by Hoopman on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:30 pm

They are very different to drive. The T5 auto is fully automatic, the Fiat is a robotised gearbox. The most noticeable difference is the Fiat  cannot be controlled on the brake pedal, i.e there is no 'creep'. Although the Fiat may have hill hold you will need to use the handbrake a lot more than you may be use to. The drive is a lot more car like in the VW.
Hoopman

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe LE
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Automatic VW base or Fiat Empty Re: Thoughts on Automatic VW base or Fiat

Post by dbroada on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:34 pm

I love the Fiat auto on my Nuevo but I don't think I'd call it very smooth. It is cheaper as its not a genuine auto but more a clutchless manual. REAL autos will hold on a slope, the Fiat doesn't. If I was to buy another Fiat auto I would insist on having the automatic hill assist, which mine hasn't got.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:12 pm

I drive a 2005 VW Topaz automatic, with the 2.5 litre, five cylinder diesel engine.  Cannot fault it. Smooth, powerful when you need it and reasonably economic at 30ish mpg. One mechanical fault in 12 years when a water pump developed a leak.  Keith

Last edited by KMRTOPAZ on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missed out the key feature...auto!!)
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:10 am

Our Trooper has the 6-speed auto box - it's a very good transmission. Note that VW changed to a completely different transmission after 2010 - I don't ~think~ you're likely to find one that recent, but if you do, the 7-speed that replaced it is a very good box too.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 19
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by jt55 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:51 am

Thank you so much for all your replies, really helpful. I may be going to have a look at a Sandhurst 2007 VW automatic which is a T5 base. Have heard the T5's are not so economical fuel wise compared to the T4. Have read in a review that the 172Bph turbo gives good mpg. As always there are compromises and looking after the pennies is a big consideration.
Once again thank you for your replies it is so good to have objective advice Vs asking a sales person.
jt55
jt55

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by matts vw on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi , I have a VW Sandhurst manual, would have bought a auto without any concern about repair costs as I have a VW auto car that's done nearly 130,000 miles, I always have the gearbox oil changed before service interval with genuine VW oil and had no problems, as far as the difference between the tracker eks(which my mom has) I prefer the VW for the bigger bathroom and it's quite a bit narrower than the tracker which makes life just that bit easier on the narrow roads, the benefits of the tracker is full length beds and a better turning circle, both very good vans for different reasons but I would pick the VW every time as I had VW T4 coach-built, then I bought a fiat coach built, and I just prefer the VW Sandhurst I have now, being a VW fan I may be a bit biased,. Matt
matts vw
matts vw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 46
Auto-Sleeper : sandhurst
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by jt55 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Thank you to all who replied - I looked at a Sandhurst yesterday and can see all its good points - however, since looking more into automatics I have been impressed with the Mercedes Auto Sleeper Stanton... just the small thing of finding the fund!
jt55
jt55

Female

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum