The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bourton Bike Rack thoughts

+4
DAVETHEWANDERER
Paramedic
burlingtonboaby
LDPD
8 posters

Go down

Bourton Bike Rack thoughts Empty Bourton Bike Rack thoughts

Post by LDPD Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:41 pm

A Bourton is on its way. The good news is that the Fiamma bike rack has a 60kg loading and sits low for loading. Ideal for two electric bikes with batteries removed coming in at <50kg. I'm curios that it appears to obscure the rear number plate which is only visible from some distance away - maybe 20-30mtrs. I'm assuming that this is still legal and a lighting board won't be required. Also keen to see how a cover on the bikes will impact visibility of the new rear light set up - have to wait and see on this. Anyone any experience of using the Fiamma bike rack?
LDPD
LDPD
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Bourton Bike Rack thoughts Empty Re: Bourton Bike Rack thoughts

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum from a cool and sunny afternoon in Bridlington.
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi and welcome to this most friendly and informative forum. When choosing our current second hand van, along with the usual pre delivery inspection and additions as requested, included the Fiamma Pro C cycle carrier. Instruction was to fit it as low as possible to ease the loading of our electric bikes. However an afterthought realised that if mounted too low, it would obscure the 'BROADWAY' logo situated between the rear light clusters. An urgent phone call luckily stopped the fitter who was about to fit the carrier as per our instruction and requested it to be mounted much higher. Interestingly, the owner manual states, CYCLE RACK  In order that a cycle rack can be fitted, the rear panel coach work has been strengthened accordingly. Timber is bonded into the bodywork immediately above the rear light units, laterally across the vehicle. This allows the lower mounting brackets for the Fiamma Pro-C cycle rack to be fitted in a suitably reinforced area. Fortunately for us, where the rack was eventually fitted, it was to the exact specification as described by AS. Recall our previous Broadway nearly receiving a failure at the MOT centre due to the carrier bars on the rack obscuring the near side break light due to repositioning to mount the bikes away from the rear ladder.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by DAVETHEWANDERER Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:50 am

Hi, we have just picked up a new Bourton, January 2018. like you I was concerned about the positioning of the bike rack I was assured by the dealer Marquis Suffolk that it has been passed as being perfectly legal.

After picking up the van I got it home and put the bikes onto the rack (like you we have two electric bikes, they are the G-Tech bikes). Providing you set them up centrally they are just inside the light clusters. As it was pointed out to me by the better half, if the person driving behind is at a safe distance they will be able to see your lights.

It is a lot easier to load than our other van which was a Burford Duo, we do not need to carry a step ladder. We are very pleased with the van it is fantastic.
DAVETHEWANDERER
DAVETHEWANDERER

Male

Auto-Sleeper : BOURTON

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:53 am

Time to update your profile?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:39 am

Hi Davethewanderer,
Thanks for your comments.
We've another week to go! Hoping all will be fine.
By the way - any unexpected items for a snagging list on your new van?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DAVETHEWANDERER Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi, Regarding snagging list I like to do most of them myself, you know they have been done properly.
my main gripe is the microwave rattles in its housing, requires some sort of soft packing to absorb movement.
The main roof light lets in wind and whistles as you go along, I think I may have cured this by pulling the seal out of its housing a little bit.
Bathroom door kept opening, adjusted catch keep. several drawer keeps needed adjusting.
Fridge does not work on 12volt system.
Suggest you get some little plastic buffers, put them on all the doors and drawers stops them rattling.
Kitchen sink did not drain away very fast, took out the inline water trap, works perfectly now, must remember to put the plug in or you will get a smell from the tank.
It is going in on Tuesday for its 30 day check, I have done most of it so they have not got much to do.
DAVETHEWANDERER
DAVETHEWANDERER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi, Thanks for sharing. This is to be our second van so used to fixing the sort of issues you describe. Reassuring to hear that you've had nothing major so far. We're having 4 nights away on a shakedown trip after we collect - aiming to try everything out and identify any issues.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DAVETHEWANDERER Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:25 pm

Hi, glad to be of help, we are delighted with our van, were not sure about storage as we had a Burford Duo before had lots of storage on that. Had to downsize as it was over 3500 kg only had it 18 mths but we did nearly 10,000 miles so we had some use out of it.
Did not have to worry as there is plenty of storage on the Bourton.

Maybe you can help me now, do you know how to use this site, not sure if I am replying correctly, I find it very confusing. Where are you going for your trip.
DAVETHEWANDERER
DAVETHEWANDERER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi again LPDP, the ladder on our previous Broadway EK was part of the original build specification to have access to the roof for use of roof bars. Although the fiamma carrier was centrally mounted, because of the ladder, the carry rails needed to be repositioned more to the near side so the bikes did not foul the ladder. As a consequence, the near side brake light was slightly obscured with the bikes in situ. Yes up close this was a problem but when viewed from further back, it looked ok but you have to accept the MOT test station ruling. Only when I repositioned the rail to the centre did the van pass it's MOT.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:46 pm

DAVETHEWANDERER wrote:Hi, Regarding snagging list I like to do most of them myself, you know they have been done properly.
my main gripe is the microwave rattles in its housing, requires some sort of soft packing to absorb movement.
The main roof light lets in wind and whistles as you go along, I think I may have cured this by pulling the seal out of its housing a little bit.
Bathroom door kept opening, adjusted catch keep. several drawer keeps needed adjusting.
Fridge does not work on 12volt system.
Suggest you get some little plastic buffers, put them on all the doors and drawers stops them rattling.
Kitchen sink did not drain away very fast, took out the inline water trap, works perfectly now, must remember to put the plug in or you will get a smell from the tank.
It is going in on Tuesday for its 30 day check, I have done most of it so they have not got much to do.

When you say "fridge does not work on 12v system", do you mean with the engine off or while driving?

Not knowing your van, most will not run of the leisure battery.

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by DAVETHEWANDERER Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi Richard, the fridge does not work on 12 volt switch when the engine is running. Dave
DAVETHEWANDERER
DAVETHEWANDERER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:34 pm

DAVETHEWANDERER wrote:Hi Richard, the fridge does not work on 12 volt switch when the engine is running. Dave

The most common cause there is a blown fuse (because absorption fridges typically take a lot of power when running on 12V).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:55 pm

Apologies this thread has gone well off topic, but............

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

EM45 under offside bench seat.  This one was faulty on delivery (fridge not working on 12v) and was replaced by the dealer.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down