The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hydraulic ramps

4 posters

Go down

Hydraulic ramps Empty Hydraulic ramps

Post by Anthony Salamone Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi I've got a stanton MH I'm a bit worried about the weight has anyone fitted EP Hydraulic ramps to a small van the benefits look great when you see some of the sites on grass nice to get hard standing not always available in the summer any info would be great Thanks
Anthony Salamone

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : stanton
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Hydraulic ramps Empty Re: Hydraulic ramps

Post by -mojo- Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:52 pm

I've never seen any motorhome hydraulic ramps - do you have a link?

It's not uncommon to see vans with built-in hydraulic jacks, but ramps are a new one on me!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by easylifer Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:22 pm

-mojo- wrote:I've never seen any motorhome hydraulic ramps - do you have a link?

It's not uncommon to see vans with built-in hydraulic jacks, but ramps are a new one on me!
Is the age displayed years or months?
easylifer
easylifer
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:24 pm

easylifer wrote:
Is the age displayed years or months?

Do you have a link to "EP hydraulic ramps" then? Obviously with your seniority you have better Google skills than I do...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Hello Anthony.

I bought a Stanton 3 weeks ago. First job, Get EP Hydraulic self levelling system fitted - big tick.

I had this system on my previous motorhome (a Swift Escape). never regretted it.

Our first outing with the Swift (before self levelling system), we could not get the stupid thing level enough to get the 'fridge working and it was such a drama getting it up on Milenco Quatro ramps, we did not feel inclined to move off-site and go through it all again on getting back. This was on a hardstanding on a non-level site.

Anyway once the self levellers were fitted, no more drama. drive to destination, apply handbrake, press button, wait 1 min while it levels up, turn off engine, Brew up. Any weather. No need to get out of motorhome. No rocking. Answer questions from amazed Motor-homers.

The poor Swift with manual box had a really smelly clutch by the time we got it up on the ramps!

So, here are my recommendations...

1. If you have the where-withall buy it now or you might spend the money on something else.
2. Talk to Mick Leightley at SAP in Doncaster 01302 215296 (office - Jill) or 07920065540 (I have no connection with SAP, just as a customer of two installations)
3. Ask him to take off your rear steadies - you won't need them and they are quite heavy.
4. If in future, you might want to add rear full air suspension, tell him and he will make provision for it if, in the future, you decide you need it. Otherwise there will be a lot of de-installation of the rear rams to fit it all in
5. It is a two day job. Take your Stanton to Doncaster and plan to stay overnight. He will put the M/H outside will give you EHU. He has a comfortable (heated) lounge with tea and coffee, milk etc for during the day and there is a fantastic "greasy spoon" cafe around the corner that has a great range of food.(recommend bacon sausage and egg roll.

I cannot overstate the attention to detail and professional job that SAP do. there are many people on the forums such as Motorhome Fun that sing his praises. It is what lead me to him. He will go through the underside of the motorhome looking for production "shortcuts" such as poorly routed cables that chafe on chassis members and fix them. He puts the pump under the floor in a water-tight box (extra £70) and this has the double benefit of not robbing you of storage space and not having the risk of hydraulic oils smells in the hab area. He includes a free remote control. I had my main control panel fitted in the face of the under-bed locker behind the passenger seat, next to the 13A mains socket. Takes up no space in the locker.

Good luck with this, you absolutely will not regret it. If you decide to talk to Mick, please mention my name. He is a good guy and has fitted more of these systems than any other supplier in the UK. He will look after you.

Best regards 
Denis Downie
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:50 pm

[In my defence, there genuinely is/was a leveling system where you drive onto a jack-type assembly, which is then cranked up by hand - lifting the whole wheel to level the van - and I genuinely did wonder if someone had made a hydraulic version.]
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony Salamone Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:36 pm

-mojo- wrote:I've never seen any motorhome hydraulic ramps - do you have a link?

ramps jacks you know ramps jacks they all go up thanks
Anthony Salamone

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : stanton
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:11 pm

The one significant advantage of ramps is that if you deploy them in the right direction, they can help you get off muddy grass pitches - because in effect they can "launch" you forwards, so the wheels are already moving before you apply any power. Whether that compensates for the extra effort needed is a matter of opinion - I always got on well with them once I'd got past my first and only "going over the top" incident...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down