Leisure Battery Problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Leisure Battery Problem

Post by jrbr on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:09 pm

I bought a 1991 T4 Trooper with a leisure battery in the rear which powers the internal 12v lighting. All worked fine last year but when i tried a light the other night it came on for a few seconds and then died. I haven't used it much over the winter but it has had a few short trips out, maybe once a fortnight. On the control panel there is a switch that has to be on before lights come on. I've tried running vehicle with switch in both positions to no effect. It was in the garage a couple of weeks ago for some welding and I know they disconnected the battery but it all seems to be connected again now. Does anyone know what next the step should be?
jrbr

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper T4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Leisure Battery Problem

Post by CC on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:20 pm

Most obvious thing would be to get your battery tested, pop into halfords or ATS or similar and get it tested.... As you haven't been using the vehicle a great deal and not charging the battery (especially with the freezing temperatures over the past few weeks) your battery has probably taken a battering and could well need replacing shrugg

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by jrbr on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:27 pm

Thanks, I'll get down there at the weekend.
jrbr

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper T4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Battery

Post by Crash on Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 am

Techs typically isolate the battery before doing any welding on a vehicle (esp if they're using an arc welder) and they probably forgot to reconnect it. If you haven't used it for a while, batteries drain down and freeze in sub-zero temperatures (the plates inside warp) (I live in Canada and if I forget to remove a battery at the start of winter, I doubt if it will last more than a month without dying a painful death - I bring them all inside (I have a bunch of vehicles) and try to remember to trickle charge them once or twice during the winter months. I'd get it load tested if I were you, but you're probably looking at a new battery!
Crash

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1991 Trident

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Thu May 02, 2013 12:26 am

Hi, As i have said before get a small cheap mutimeter. You can easily check both your batteries in situ.
You can also check them whilst running the engine.
These voltage readings will give you a good idea as to the state of your batteries.
They do other tests ,but just that will save you time and trouble.
If you can give the figures to this site,we have many members that can progress your problem.
regards
Mike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco on Thu May 02, 2013 1:04 pm

Hi wave

jrbr wrote: a light the other night it came on for a few seconds and then died.

I'd say that's the (almost conclusive) sign that the battery is flat. If its gone down so far that It can't power a light and it's been like that for any length of time it'll probably be faulty.

I'd check the terminal volts as Mike suggests and if, as suspected, it's flat try charging it off the van. It will probably never fully charge again but it's worth a try before going to the expense of replacing it (nothing to loose and all that).

Brod.

brodco

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile http://www.eurotherm.co.uk/en-gb/products/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum