The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

thetford toilet low voltage?

4 posters

Go down

thetford toilet low voltage? Empty thetford toilet low voltage?

Post by peanuts Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:39 am

Hi people,

(yes, me again boxerman!) Toilet wasn't working after the winter so did the fuse checks recommended on here and although there was a modified fuse on the tank it was working (now replaced with a 5 amp as no 2 amp available). Found all the wires to the pump and checked all those, all ok, switches doing what they should, put 12v direct to the pump and it worked ok, checked the voltage to the pump from the well hidden wiring and between 4.5 and 5.2 volts, what the hecks that all about? Where does a voltage drop suddenly come from that wasn't there pre winter? The wire to the pump is not the same as leaves the Zig unit so, there must be a terminal block somewhere, could that be the cause? If so, any ideas where it is or, any other ideas as to why what's happening is happening? Anybody had the same or similar problem? think_smiley_46

Thanks in advance, Peanuts.
peanuts
peanuts

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

Back to top Go down

thetford toilet low voltage? Empty Re: thetford toilet low voltage?

Post by Johno Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi Peanuts

The symptoms you describe would suggest a high resistance joint somewhere in the wiring run to the toilet, my guess possibly caused by corrosion over the winter layup.

I think all you can do is physically check the "well hidden wiring" for joints (not the sort you smoke) or connections. Sometimes connnections are in the toilet locker and are subject to water spillage which can cause the problem. If habitation wiring is run externally under the van this is also susceptble to corrosion, I apologise for not being more specific but I'm unfamiliar with the Executive layout confused3

From previous posts on this forum I have learned there is sometimes a problem with the connections within the Zig unit caused by loose rivets which could be another possible cause of the volt drop so maybe worth checking out.

John.
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

thetford toilet low voltage? Empty Wiring

Post by peanuts Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Thanks John, unfortunately all the wiring is internal and runs in the roof void as far as I can ascertain so it would be rear over head lockers out and roof down to find the joint (might need the smoking one to calm me down if I had to do that!) so, I'm still hopeful someone can wave a magic wand and say yes, you just do xxxxxxxxxx (yes it is nice on this little cloud I appear to inhabit sometimes).

Cheers

Peanuts
peanuts
peanuts

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:18 am

Hi Peanuts

It may be worth re-posting your problem on the "technical chat" section of the forum as there has been little response to your query which is most unusual scratch head .

If you have a multi-meter and can locate both ends of the cable you could try testing the resistance/continuity of the cable feeding the toilet, taking the measurement with the meter set to Ohms. You may possibly have to extend one of your meter test leads with a piece of wire to get the required length between the ends of the cable (don't forget to deduct the resistance of the leads from the total reading).Readings above 1-2 Ohms would indicate a possible problem in the cable, if the cable appears OK then it is time to look elsewhere tap_fingers

In my previous post I mentioned problems with the Zig unit could also be a possibility, this has been the subject on previous topics on the forum seeming to be fairly common on Zig units of a certain age and has been fixed by replacing loose rivets with small nuts and bolts. You can do a search on the forum to locate the relavant posts.
In light of the problems with the Zig units I personally would start at the Zig to establish that the 12 volt supply to the toilet circuit is actually healthy at that point.

Hope this helps and I apologise if I have been getting to "techie" rolleyes

Cheers John.
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

thetford toilet low voltage? Empty Back again

Post by peanuts Mon May 07, 2012 5:51 pm

Sorry John if you read this first, (I have posted this on 'technical' as you suggested last time, only one rely then as well),

3 outings in and the toilet has gone again, earth is perfect (put a new lead in last time, checked all zig unit connections, all perfect), but voltage is back to around 4.5 volts ................ help!

Cheers

Peanuts
peanuts
peanuts

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon May 07, 2012 6:57 pm

Slightly off topic, but today, whilst checking all my systems on the '98 Talisman, the heating, wouldn't ignite, removed & checked the relevant fuse & it was ok on the meter, after lots of checks, it still pointed to the fuse, popped in another, PERFECT!! Now I KNOW this isn't right, but it happened, so whats going on, I can only think there'rs some sort of 'breakdown' in the fuse. (binned the old one by the way) hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Mon May 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi,
Possibles...check live to a separate earth point, like a long wire to the battery post, if o.k check voltage going into the switch and then out, could be corroded switch contacts??? I'll keep thinking?
Regards,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

thetford toilet low voltage? Empty Keep thinking

Post by peanuts Tue May 08, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply Chris smile! , already done as you suggested with long lead, still 4.5 volts (or there abouts-ish), have to admit I bust the micro switch while fiddling so have ordered a new one but, if nowts going in ..... nowts coming out! Anybody any idea where the cable from the zig unit changes from the red leads in to the blue and brown that go in to the toilet comparment? scratch head I can only think that's where the weak link is, pity A.S. don't read this in their technical department alittlesecret but, hey, we're mostly old second hand stuff, they don't make money out of us.

Take care all

Peanuts
peanuts
peanuts

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Tue May 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi,
Any chance you could pick up 12 volts from anywhere else to feed the toilet pump? convenient light for instance. It would seem that you have a bad connection somewhere which is in a hidden location,
Regards,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

thetford toilet low voltage? Empty Alike

Post by peanuts Tue May 08, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi (Chris),

We obviously think alike, drinksallround I had looked at taking a lead from the the rear lights but then thought, no you idiot, it will then only work with the lights on (frustration leads to many weird ideas! : frustrating ) and then from the toilet overhead light but, it's encased in the ceiling, my next move is to take the back panel off the toilet compartment and see what's behind it (maybe that elusive connection? Then again, knowing my luck....! oh_blast! ) There seems a large space there so maybe, just maybe, I might be able to find a lead off something. It's planned for this weekend so I'll keep you informed.

Cheers mate

Peanuts
peanuts
peanuts

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Tue May 08, 2012 8:22 pm

Toilet flushes when brakes applied hugegrins best of luck
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

thetford toilet low voltage? Empty Eureka

Post by peanuts Sat May 12, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi Lads,

Rather than take the whole back off the toilet, thought I'd start with the wash basin first had_idea (and just to digress at this point, when I did, and it only takes 6 screws, over the plug hole were the following; large plastic comb, flannel, bic razor, razor blade, contact lens holder (with contact lenses!) 2 x boxes eye make up remover pads and LOTS of bulit up scum (the hardest bit to clean), and I wondered why it drained slowly!!! scratch head Please pass this tit-bit on to anyone with a fold down sink, it takes 5 minutes to check, anyway, back to the original plot) Once it was off I could see two lots of the same black outer cables hanging down that run accross the back of the van. Pulling (gently) up at both of these revealed two cable connectors, both of which were well corroded (I can only assume that, as the sink didn't always empty completely, some water splashed back and ran on to the plastic sheet at the back of the basin and from there on to the connectors) one went back in to black and red and one to blue and brown, that had to be the little b*gg*r I was after. Changed both connectors for proper push fit metal electric connectors, don't know what the re-attaching of the black and red bit has done confused3 (I wasn't aware something else wasn't working but, time will tell) but, re-attaching the blue and brown, hey presto, I have a working toilet (ok I did have to change the micro switch I 'broke' but that's sorted). So, problem solved big thumbs up (I hope).

Oh happy me (well apart from the water ingress, but that's on another thread).

Take care one and all, hope this helps someone else.

Cheers, peanuts

peanuts
peanuts

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Sat May 12, 2012 6:46 pm

He's now flushed with success?? hugegrins sorry
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down