Nuevo EK

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nuevo EK

Post by Jaime 007 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:53 am

My wife and I own a two-berth Nuevo EK bought new in December 2010. We are thinking of improving the security to our habitation door. When visiting the Motorhome Show at the NEC last month I looked at a Thule Inside-Out Lock G2 ( model 307339 ) which looked very interesting. Have any members had this locking device installed on their motorhome and if so did you experience any problems with the fitting? Any other advice regarding adding extra security to the habitation door will be gratefully received.

Jaime 007

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nuevo EK

Post by burlingtonboaby on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:08 am

Hi Jaime 
We had a Fiamma magnum safe security lock fitted to the habitation door back in September as our van was laid up during repairs, easy to fit, pre-drill holes and bolt on, lock costs around £40/45 .
Boaby

Outside locking only on this one Paul. You can open the door window and learn across to l suppose.  shrugg

Last edited by burlingtonboaby on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:11 am

The Milenco lock looks very similar (and cheaper) but makes no mention of the ability to unlock from inside if locked from outside...

http://www.milenco.com/products/security/recreational-vehicle-door-locks/security-door-lock#details

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:26 am

Milenco one looks identical to Thule one.

http://www.milenco.com/downloads/4718-Security-Door-Lock-fitting.pdf but for the sticker on the side.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:56 am

Hi Jaime, from a former Gloucester "boy", yes that Thule lock is very similar to the Fiama version , but it is nice you can lock/unlock from inside . The dealer fitted our Fiama prior to delivery ,but I have in the past fitted one to a Hymer and it was fairly simple, just take your time deciding where you want it to be, once you drill a hole!!  Kind regards      Paul wave
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:27 pm

Whilst security is important, safety even more so.

I you were to enter via the cab, you could potentially be inside the van with your only means of escape in an emergency back via the cab. Not the fastest route out if you have a fire.

I wouldn't contemplate an additional lock which couldn't be easily opened from inside in an emergency.

Most of the naughty boys will try to access via the cab anyway as that is what they are used to doing with vans, either forcing the lock or removing  the quarterlight with a sharp knife.
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Nuevo EK

Post by Jaime 007 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:53 am

May I take the opportunity to thank those members who have responded to my request for information with reference to extra security on the habitation door. I will continue to research the matter taking into consideration the advice offered. Thank you.

Jaime 007

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:30 am

I had a Fiamma one on my Nuevo similar to the above.  Was a nice bit of security but as above, you don't want to go too overboard to restrict your leaving in a hurry and also it's only an additional deterrent as they can easily break in through the plastic windows, so just an additional bit visibility security to put off the common scrote.

Also, if you do go for something like that that only operates from the outside, remember to lock it in the open position when inside the van, otherwise some comedian could spin it to lock the door from the outside and you can't get out.
Greyhound

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:31 am

I fitted a Thule Inside-Outside lock to our Stanton (same as Nuevo EK). no issues with fitting, or operation; it can easily be opened from the inside.
Incidentally, which lock are we saying cannot be opened from the inside?

Pete.

www.petetaylor.org.uk
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile http://www.petetaylor.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:00 pm

Pete Taylor wrote:Incidentally, which lock are we saying cannot be opened from the inside?

The Fiamma door frame locks are outside only - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiamma-04688A01-Safe-Door-Frame/dp/B0013T2IZC/

Work well, but not intended to lock you inside, only a protection for when you're away from the van.
Greyhound

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:35 pm

Jaime 007 wrote:May I take the opportunity to thank those members who have responded to my request for information with reference to extra security on the habitation door. I will continue to research the matter taking into consideration the advice offered. Thank you.
Thanks for that Jaime - not everyone remembers to say "Thanks"!!!  up!

May I suggest that a more informative title might attract even more useful replies. "Nuevo EK" doesn't tell us much. "Nuevo EK - Security Queries" is far more informative.  smile!

Several considerations are frequently raised when discussing security, and I do wonder if it's worth bothering to do very much at all??

There is an argument that if you install a lot of visible security, the thief is more likely to think you must have something worth pinching?  scratch head

The plastic side windows are the most vulnerable point of access, and you can't do much about those. Even if you fit locks to the latches   http://lock-m-out.co.uk/    they (the latches) are only plastic and will break quite easily with a good tug.

The harder it is for a thief to get into your van, the more damage he will do in the process, possibly costing far more to repair than the value of what was stolen.

Having said all this, it is also argued (and is probably true) that if it looks too difficult to break into your van, the poor beggar next door may suffer instead?  Whistle1

I think a good and very loud alarm is probably the best bet. The Growler is excellent FACT SHEET HERE though it's not cheap. Important points that I like are . . . It is very, very loud. It can be set to night mode, and if the van was attacked there is no way anyone could sleep through the alarm!! ("Night mode" gives a good feeling of security when wild camping or on aires in France, for example.) When triggered, the alarm only sounds for about 20 seconds, then switches off. It comes back on immediately if there's a real break-in, but if it was a false alarm the neighbours are not irritated for hours on end.

It may be best of all to make certain you are comprehensively insured, and trust that you do not become one of the very tiny minority who do get robbed. I can't guess the odds, but it must be thousands to one against!  content

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Les W on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:48 pm

There was one of those external lock things on our Inca when we bought it.. but I removed it immediately.

I didn't like the Idea of advertising that our motorhome was empty... some sort of dead lock fitted would suit me .
Les W

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Inca EK
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:01 pm

That's another good point to ponder Les.
An alarm may also indicate the same of course, but hopefully it warns the thief to find an easier target?  think_smiley_46

(Neither of us is particularly nervous, but we do sleep more soundly in some situations with the alarm set to "night mode".)

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum