Portsmouth Ferry port.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Portsmouth Ferry port.

Post by Bad Penny on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:59 pm

Has anyone stayed overnight at Portsmouth ferry terminal, ready to catch a morning sailing to France?

If so, was it quiet overnight and does one have to arrive there after a certain time.

Leighton.
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Portsmouth Ferry port.

Post by Wargenwolf on Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:19 am

Although I've sailed from there a few times, I've never had an early morning crossing, but when I looked at this on another forum, several responses were that the official arrival is after 10pm.

Some members arriving at 8pm mention several vans being there already.

There's no mention of noise levels, but it's a busy port with loads of goods vehicles, so I can guess !

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubert on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:57 am

We've stayed at the CMC site Rookesbury Park, nr Fareham a couple of times when catching the early ferry sailings. They have  a dedicated area for ferry users to allow an early getaway. We prefer a good sleep and decent shower when setting off early.
It's only a ten minute drive to the port at that time of the morning.

Hubert
Hubert
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:29 am

Hubert, we generally stay at Rookesbury park and as I have a cabin booked for the morning sailing, I thought perhaps we would change things.
Instead of rushing early for a shower on site, we can do that on board ship.

Maybe the site option is still the best one.

Thank you and Wargonwolf for your replies.

Leighton.
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:50 am

We've stayed overnight several times at Portsmouth, and I intend to do just that on the 18th on my way to Santander.

Because we travel from Derbyshire we normally arrive pretty late anyway, usually after midnight, but it has never (so far) been too busy to park along the fence at the left side of the terminal apron.
The terminal staff have always been relaxed and friendly in my experience.

I haven't ever particularly noticed excessive noise either, but you never know, I probably just jinxed it for you.
If there is any noise, it's been from the occasional 'yoofs' lurching past on their way home.

meanchris

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:02 pm

We've stayed there at least 4 times a year for the past 5 years or so.

Officially you are asked not to arrive until after the last sailing has gone but that makes it quite late. Last year the powers that be put up notices around the perimeter fence asking you to park parallel to it and to report your presence to security in the terminal. This I did, to be met with polite indifference. 

You can have a very peaceful night- once the last boat has gone- or you can be right next to a refrigerated truck running his cooling system on and off all night. 

Once the last boat has gone they usually light up the destination board above the check in booths and you can move into the appropriate lane where it is a little quieter as you are away from the lorry parking. If you do this be sure to get up very early. The check in ladies arrive around 6 am for an 8.30am sailing and you are not popular if you are blocking the entrance. You will sometimes get a loud knocking on the van to wake you if necessary.

If you prefer then you will have a very peaceful night at Port Solent Marina Boardwalk in the huge parking there with the bonus of a meal at one of the many restaurants the night before. We often do this before going down to the terminal later after a meal or on our way home if our boat is late in BUT, I ring the security people there and ask if it is OK to tuck ourselves in a corner before we spend the night there.  Lovely walks on the common opposite and a straighforward 10 minute drive to the terminal.
Quilter

Female

Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by luxorone on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:56 am

if all goes well, we are going to Europe next year,  great info thanks all
luxorone

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : talisman
Vehicle Year : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:36 am

luxorone wrote:if all goes well, we are going to Europe next year,  great info thanks all
Poole may be worth considering. The fares are sometimes a bit cheaper than from Portsmouth and it's easier for you to get to.

You can stay on the Port with the blessing of the Harbour Master (I phoned and asked) and it may cost a fiver if the chap can be bothered to collect it. He didn't the last twice we stayed.  smile!

You can roll up at any time, there's a cafe next to where you "overnight" and it opens quite early for breakfast, the check-in gates are 50 yards away, and it's a pleasant evening stroll to the yacht basin if you fancy a pie and a pint.

Couldn't be more convenient. up!

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:53 am

Many thanks Quilter and Gromit for your info. On reflection maybe we will stay at Rookesbury park as usual. Sailing from Portsmouth is generally our preferred crossing point and have already booked it for next year, so Poole is out, although we have sailed from there in the past. We will return to Portsmouth from Santander this time.

Earlier this year, we sailed overnight to St Malo and other than our first night stop, was off the cuff. Next year our plan is again to do the same, except for a stop to meet up with some people we met this year in between our travels. This time we enter Spain via Perpignan.

We will post our progress as we go, as there seemed to be more interest than expected when we did this earlier this year.

Thanks again  allthumbz
Leighton.
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:51 am

Bad Penny wrote: . . . .  Poole is out, although we have sailed from there in the past. We will return to Portsmouth from Santander this time.
Hi Leighton

I don't know if this will be useful or of interest to you.

We were booked to sail from Portsmouth in May this year, but wanted to join friends who were going from Poole. I had booked through the C&MC, and they were brilliant. They made the amendment instantly over the phone, and (surprisingly) didn't charge an admin fee.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:32 pm

Thanks Dave, but our crossing to Caen was a deliberate choice for us. I am a member of Brittany ferries voyager club , so could change with no problem, but will still go with my booking.

As a reward to yourself for your regular help on this forum, if you PM me, I will give you my personal number for you to get 10% off your next crossing with Brittany ferries.

Hope this helps
Leighton.
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:36 pm

Bad Penny wrote:Thanks Dave, but our crossing to Caen was a deliberate choice for us. I am a member of Brittany ferries voyager club , so could change with no problem, but will still go with my booking.

As a reward to yourself for your regular help on this forum, if you PM me, I will give you my personal number for you to get 10% off your next crossing with Brittany ferries.

Hope this helps
Leighton.
That's very decent of you Leighton, and much appreciated.

I will take up your kind offer with thanks, but like yourself we've already booked for next year. With any luck there are more trips to come, so it will be most useful.

Regards

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Just contact me Dave and I will send it to you.

Regards Leighton.
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RodB on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:18 am

We are booked to come back from Le Havre next year when the ferry arrives around 9.30 pm meaning we are on the road about 45 minutes later. After a days driving to get to the port I don't fancy another 3 hours to get home so where can we stay overnight en route to the Midlands via A34/M40?Any ideas within about 30 minutes drive from the port. I'm supposing that most sites will have shut their gates by then.
Last year, before buying the Symbol we stayed in a hotel after making the same trip but obviously that's not playing the game this time!

Rod
RodB

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:10 am

Quilter wrote:

If you prefer then you will have a very peaceful night at Port Solent Marina Boardwalk in the huge parking there with the bonus of a meal at one of the many restaurants the night before. We often do this before going down to the terminal later after a meal or on our way home if our boat is late in BUT, I ring the security people there and ask if it is OK to tuck ourselves in a corner before we spend the night there.  Lovely walks on the common opposite and a straighforward 10 minute drive to the terminal.

Rod...
If you can manage with no EHU then this is a very good place to overnight on your return. It is secure because of the adjacent boats, quiet and has shops and restaurants.  Their website shows details and a number which, out of courtesy, I phone before we stay.  I can give you the coordinates or you can see it yourself on Instant Street View by putting in Marina Keep parking Port Solent. Its an easy place to find from the terminal.
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Rod, Rookesbury Park Caravan and mororhome club site, about twenty minutes away, take off at junction 10 and follow their directions. They have an area for members coming in late off the ferries. It is directly opposite reception for about 7 places, all with electric.

As long as you book it in advance, just drive in and hook up and pay in the morning.

Hope this helps.
Leighton.
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RodB on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:13 pm

Thanks both. Either looks like it will do nicely. I have found the site and phone number, thanks Quilter. smile!
RodB

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 Yesterday at 10:40 am

Since we changed to Caen as our first port of call we have stayed at Drove Lea Farm near Fairham. You get a key to let yourself out and pop it through the letter box. There are no toilet facilities but you can have ehu. This has suited us as it gives a late start to catch the afternoon ferry. £10 per night. Next year we intend to catch the 08 30h ferry to arrive in Caen at 15.00h which will give us an easy run to Hebecrevon next morning. I also plan to use to lanes at Portsmouth and was informed that anytime after 23.00h you can park in the lanes as opposed to alongside the fence. This now seems to have been confirmed. Does anyone know if the 'café' will still be open on the docks...
redturner37

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Yesterday at 11:00 am

redturner37 wrote:. This now seems to have been confirmed. Does anyone know if the 'café' will still be open on the docks...

This is useful:

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/guides/ports/portsmouth

I love the way you put "cafe" in quotes...it's a real lost opportunity isn't it ? We generally go over there at crack of dawn once we've gone through check, in hoping for a fresh croissant or pastry and all they have is three day old, cold and stiff, packaged ones at silly prices. At least the terminal is warm and, after a cold night, that is welcome.

Edit: to clarify the above link; motorhomes etc overnighting are NOT charged to do so. The payment applies to cars left in the port multi -storey car park.
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Yesterday at 11:17 am

Quilter wrote:I love the way you put "cafe" in quotes...it's a real lost opportunity isn't it ? We generally go over there at crack of dawn once we've gone through check, in hoping for a fresh croissant or pastry and all they have is three day old, cold and stiff, packaged ones at silly prices. At least the terminal is warm and, after a cold night, that is welcome.
For interest and information, the cafe at Poole was OK last year when we were there.

It looked like a "greasy spoon" establishment, but everything was very clean and the food they served was good. "Builder's" tea in big mugs as well, which endeared them to me!!  up!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 Yesterday at 12:09 pm

Quilter wrote:
redturner37 wrote:. This now seems to have been confirmed. Does anyone know if the 'café' will still be open on the docks...

This is useful:

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/guides/ports/portsmouth

I love the way you put "cafe" in quotes...it's a real lost opportunity isn't it ? 
Particularly when you compare it with the café / restaurant at Ouistreham, now that is a lovely place. I normally park in the public car park near the fish market then move into the lanes after the last boat has gone. I have used the aire at le Rive belle plage but often find it full and  for this year they have installed a machine to read your credit card before you can get in and, just my luck, no places left. I did the honourable thing and just parked it where best I could. Well, I had paid.....p.s. if you park over night in the public park it will cost you €17 in fines. Ask me how I know.....
redturner37

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Yesterday at 1:52 pm

Camping Riva Bella Seasonova ( ex - municipal Les Pommiers), 500m down the road from the Ouistreham ferry entrance, set up a very convenient, flat motorhome aire which we’ve used twice. Its 12 euros per night, has a good, free service area with loos and washing up sinks and 16 amp EHU.  It can also be pre- booked and has some shade if wanted. 

Unfortunately it closes over-winter and, despite requests, they are not prepared to open just the aire bit.
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum