Tin worm.......again!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tin worm.......again!

Post by jollywalker on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:17 pm

I sometimes wonder why I bought a Duetto on a MK5 Transit base.

I have had so many rust repairs done.

Today I decided to strip back rear nearside wheel arch as there was a little bit of rust coming through.

I now wish I hadn't. The inner/outer arch has been badly bodged prior to my purchase 3 years ago. A new outer arch was tack welded over the rusty remains of the original, and much filler added, plus seam sealant. I'm kicking myself for not spotting it when I bought it, but suspect I had my rose tinted glasses on.

Looks like I'll have to cut out the outer arch, and half of the inner, and welded in new panels. Hopefully there is no insulation behind to worry about fire risk.

It is a much bigger job than I've ever attempted before, and will take me a while, especially as I have to work outside. Still, it will be better for having it done, and will be practise for what I suspect will be a repeat repair for the offside 

Jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tin worm.......again!

Post by boxerman on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:59 pm

I hope it stays dry for you Bud! No fun doing that kind of work when the weather is damp and miserable.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by jennyandpeter on Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:13 pm

Have a look at this thread shame pictures have gone but we were very happy with the work done on ours
http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t15499p25-duetto-wheel-arch-replacement
jennyandpeter

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jollywalker on Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:21 pm

jennyandpeter wrote:Have a look at this thread shame pictures have gone but we were very happy with the work done on ours
http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t15499p25-duetto-wheel-arch-replacement
Thanks, but I spent my reserves having new front wings and surrounding panels done earlier this year, so I'll have to do this job myself.
While I'm under there with all the equipment I can tidy up some other areas at the rear too. 
The fun of older vehicle ownership!
Jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:08 pm

jollywalker wrote:I sometimes wonder why I bought a Duetto on a MK5 Transit base.

I have had so many rust repairs done.

Today I decided to strip back rear nearside wheel arch as there was a little bit of rust coming through.

I now wish I hadn't. The inner/outer arch has been badly bodged prior to my purchase 3 years ago. A new outer arch was tack welded over the rusty remains of the original, and much filler added, plus seam sealant. I'm kicking myself for not spotting it when I bought it, but suspect I had my rose tinted glasses on.

Looks like I'll have to cut out the outer arch, and half of the inner, and welded in new panels. Hopefully there is no insulation behind to worry about fire risk.

It is a much bigger job than I've ever attempted before, and will take me a while, especially as I have to work outside. Still, it will be better for having it done, and will be practise for what I suspect will be a repeat repair for the offside 

Jollywalker
Undoubtedly when i bought mine i 'dropped lucky' as what i didn't realise then (and the seller certainly didn't know either!) was it's an LE model which i assume is "Luxury Equipment". A/S fitted certain 'extras'...Heki 2 rooflight, 'posher' sink and oven (green with gold mixer tap and oven has glass top) which came at the expense of doing away with rev counter (easily fitted if you must have one), alloy wheels, and power windows (which i've fitted to mine).

But this was the major plus......the bodywork panels were Dinitrolled from new. As a result all my wheel arches are original and amazingly rust free. Not bad going for a Transit now 17 years old. The underside is the same too. The garage who do my MOT's told me they've never seen a Transit in such good condition. I had to have the rear doors done but that's started to come back again now so will leave it until i come to sell.

I don't envy you one bit. Not a small job by any means and the worst possible time of year to be working outdoors.
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto LE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:35 pm

When I had all four wheel arches done on my '99 SWB Mk.5 around 5 years ago, I was surprised at how little the rust had spread from the rusty wings up the bodywork - it seems that by that stage, Ford's body preparation prior to spraying at the factory had improved a lot, and the primer had resisted the "rust creep" that you got on older Transits.

On mine, the worst parts were the sill panels behind the rear wheels, where the mudflaps had trapped mud around their fixings and caused quite widespread rust, and in the side panel under the Carver water heater, where A/S had failed to seal properly around it and Ford had made a bad job of rustproofing the floor to side panel join underneath the heater. The latter had pinholed through from the inside out by the time the van was 5 years old, so it looked pretty ugly by the time I got round to getting it fixed!
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum