ACSI Books. Beware the trap for the unwary!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: ACSI Books. Beware the trap for the unwary!!

Post by Gromit on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:22 pm

Maasai Warrior wrote:I am Caroline, Maasai Warrior’s wife. Like Roger Black we also subscribe directly with ACSI and also get the ID card for the same reasons. I only ever use the App as I don’t find the books especially user friendly but you have to have them to get membership. The App is very easy to use and each site includes reviews. So far as I am aware the App coverage will remain the same.
Apparently so Caroline, although as I said earlier, Messrs Vicarious are still awaiting final information about several other details as well as the new book. I agree with you about how useful the App is, and it has more information than the book. (See ** below)

We bought direct from ACSI about three of years ago, but then discovered that they had put us on automatic renewal. I expect it was there in the small print, but I didn't see it and was slightly miffed at what might be considered sharp practice??

I wouldn't be too worried about getting a new ID card. I only get a new one about every five years or so. We have a difficult surname, so rather than spell it out I always offer the card, and it has never been rejected at any site. If your personal details have not changed, why do you need a new one each year - apart possibly from the insurance cover which is likely to be duplicated anyway.

** Because the App is so much more useful, we don't use the book either. Therefore I've changed my mind, and will probably get the new UK, France, Ireland etc. publication (now we know it will have 1430 discounted sites) and see what it's like. It's the same price and has (presumably) the same discount card, so that will enable the App, which is all we need. If the supplementary information is any use, it might be a better bet after all???

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:52 pm

Gromit wrote:

We bought direct from ACSI about three of years ago, but then discovered that they had put us on automatic renewal. I expect it was there in the small print, but I didn't see it and was slightly miffed at what might be considered sharp practice??

Hi Gromit

Not sure how it was set up when you bought it but looking at last year's page I don't see how they could make it any clearer what the different options cost and what commitment if any they entailed:

https://www.campingcard.co.uk/extra-information/order-campingcard-acsi/

We bought our required items direct from ACSI for several years on a non-subscription basis with no pressure to change, other than being notified of the saving available for a subscription should we choose to opt for it, which we eventually did of our own volition. 

Sods Law then decided to operate and for personal reasons as I mentioned above we weren't able to use it last year, however I can't blame ACSI for that!

I'm guessing having some members on repeat subscription helps them estimate the print run for the books so I can understand that as a business model, however I've never felt pressurised by them and the commitment is only for two years.  I'm surprised they still print the books, since the cost of production and postage must be significant. My guess is that once the app gets widely accepted they may drop the books and offer the card and app only - time will tell.

drinksallround
cheers
Roger
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:20 pm

I can't remember either Roger, and as I intimated before, it may well have been my own dozy fault. Might it have been because I joined the ACSI Club to get the reduced price for the books??  scratch head

I certainly didn't see the page you link to as they were not offering the App as an inclusive part of some deals.

No matter - it's a great scheme and has saved us a lot of money over the years, and with almost no exceptions we have always been well satisfied with the campsites we have visited.

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:57 pm

inspiredron wrote:I have now had 2 requests from ACSI to authorise €14.95 plus postage for next year's guide despite the fact that they have my CC details. They have not given the Club ID discount or told me how much postage is
They seem anxious to get money in before printing the guides - or am I being cynical. Maybe they want a new 2 year contract? I don't need the guide by Christmas anyway.
The reason that they were coy in their email is that the ACSI card price has gone up by €1 and the postage has increased from €2 to €3.50!  Tempted to let my subscription lapse and to join again at the reduced price in year 1!  However it is still a lot cheaper than through Vicarious!

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum