The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mirror Guards To Fit Nuevo / X250 models

+8
DuxDeluxe
moggyminor1966
burlingtonboaby
Fat Albert
Dutto
Robbie
roli
CC
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mirror Guards To Fit Nuevo / X250 models Empty Mirror Guards To Fit Nuevo / X250 models

Post by CC Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:14 pm

Thinking about getting a pair of mirror guards to fit our Nuevo, as most of you know the X250 mirrors really stick out (more than they need to IMO) and I've heard to get one replaced can cost anywhere between £200-£300 fear_smiley Have looked around and found these which are claimed to be made of high impact ABS with shock absorbing material used between the original mirror and the guard, sounds good but be warned they are pricey! Link here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Other advantage of going for white covers is the mirrors would hopefully be more visible to oncoming traffic in tight squeezes, although it's a shame covers were not available for the mirror arms as the white looks odd to me on the end of the two black arms shrugg but the main reason for buying is to hopefully protect the mirrors getting clouted and hopefully avoiding a broken mirror when traveling which could be a pain if away from home for a few weeks!

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Mirror Guards To Fit Nuevo / X250 models Empty Re: Mirror Guards To Fit Nuevo / X250 models

Post by roli Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:17 pm

bulldog01 has them on his Nuevo, will text him and let you know what he thinks
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Mirror Guards To Fit Nuevo / X250 models Empty Re: Mirror Guards To Fit Nuevo / X250 models

Post by Robbie Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:09 pm

not cheap wonder just how well they work when hit by an oncoming vehicle. If they work they are defo worth the outlay.
Robbie
Robbie
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:12 pm

BEJAZUZ!!! One hundred and nineteen quid????

I just fold mine in when I'm parked. wave wave

Still can't get over the price! That's over 30 bottles of whisky or two hundred and thirty eight litres of wine from Aldi up the road! allthumbz

Not only that, they only "protect" the mirrors - THERE IS NO GUARANTEE that the guards AND the mirrors won't be broken when they get hit!!!

Sorry, but as they say on Dragon's Den "I'm out!"

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:18 pm

Dutto wrote:BEJAZUZ!!! One hundred and nineteen quid????

Still can't get over the price! That's over 30 bottles of whisky or two hundred and thirty eight litres of wine from Aldi up the road! allthumbz

drinksallround

Yup but only a few nights camp site prices that some like to pay, hugegrins all depends on what way ya flip it, I wanta be pretty sure they work first, but replacing one mirror alone will cost more than a set of guards which sucks big time
Robbie
Robbie
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:32 pm

I understand what you are saying Dutto but I doubt your Transit mirrors would cost £200-£300 quid to replace? If it wasn't for the complexity of the mirrors or the cost involved then I probably wouldn't give it a second thought, but as Robbie says if they save the cost or replacing your mirror (very common on X250 models) then I think it's probably worth the high cost, not worried about when parked as like you we would simply fold them in.

I'm not saying the mirrors would be invincible, but give some protection if a vehicle going in the opposite direction were to clip them as they pass more than anything. I realised just how vulnerable the mirrors are when I clipped some bushes recently and there was an almighty thud, luckily the mirror folded it's self inwards and no damaged was caused other than some surface scratches and of course the resulting earache from MrsCC gettinwrong which only came about due to a lorry traveling at speed coming towards us so I moved over slightly as I was worried about the drivers mirror being clipped Whistle1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:16 pm

Only a suggestion as i hadnt really thought much about this before, what if we installed / stuck on something like 25mm foam strip onto the mirror just where the impact would take place. I wonder if this would absorb the frequency shock impact and tend to fold the mirror in on impact rather than shatter a hole in the side of it.

something like little strips of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Robbie
Robbie
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Mirror Guards To Fit Nuevo / X250 models Empty Re X250 Mirror Guards

Post by Fat Albert Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:32 pm

Cruizing Comet
I have them on my Nuevo.
The last time I spoke to the company at one of the shows they claimed that they had been crash tested at speed and survived; although the deciding factor for me was their impact (excuse the pun hugegrins ) on visibility. Having had a similar experience to you, I came to the conclusion that some drivers in a tight/narrow space focus on the large white box approaching them and do not see the mirrors. It might be wishfull thinking but I do get the impression that on the narrow bridge near home more drivers now think twice about trying to squeese past.
Fat Albert
Fat Albert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:51 pm

Fat Albert wrote:Cruizing Comet
I have them on my Nuevo.
The last time I spoke to the company at one of the shows they claimed that they had been crash tested at speed and survived;

Did they mention the speed, ie was it a 100mph impact thats only 2 vehicles travelling at 50 mph which is pretty normal. You may have a good point on even painting existing mirror backs smile!
Robbie
Robbie
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:31 am

Hi there,

May I ask "Why does a wing mirror cost so much?"

It's only a bit of mirrored glass stuck on to a bit of plastic and hung on the side of a vehicle!

There is absolutely no reason for it to be "motorised" (I adjusted mine when I bought "Petal" last June) and there are very, very few times in an average year when it needs to be heated! (Way back on a foggy morning last September I needed to lean out and wipe mine with a cloth!)

I think you are all being ripped off. wave wave

Personally, I would sooner spend my money on a different design of wing mirror! allthumbz

Best of luck,

drinksallround

PS Checked out this site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] .

And this site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PPS "BEJAZUZ!!! .......... Etc.!

Last edited by Dutto on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:40 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Add PS and PPS!)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Fat Albert wrote:Cruizing Comet
I have them on my Nuevo.
The last time I spoke to the company at one of the shows they claimed that they had been crash tested at speed and survived; although the deciding factor for me was their impact (excuse the pun hugegrins ) on visibility. Having had a similar experience to you, I came to the conclusion that some drivers in a tight/narrow space focus on the large white box approaching them and do not see the mirrors. It might be wishfull thinking but I do get the impression that on the narrow bridge near home more drivers now think twice about trying to squeese past.

Thanks Fat Albert... agree the visibility is a big thing as the mirrors just stick out so far and being black they are not that visible despite being huge, white would as you say be more noticeable to oncoming traffic and if it makes them more likely to be aware and hit their brakes then the outlay for this alone would make it worthwhile!

Robbie.. nothing wrong with your suggestion mate, but I think all it would do is possibly soften the blow? but the mirror guards are designed to spread the impact of any collision, that's why they are designed and made from a very strong 5mm thick plastic with a 10mm space in between the guard and the original mirror casing in which they insert shock pads which absorb any impact. The Mirrorguards are held in place by griping rubber trims around the edges of the guard and for security there is adhesive on the shock absorbing pads which adheres to the mirror casing. The guard is not solidly fixed as it needs to be flexible to absorb impact.

We must have other members on the forum using these or considering them especially as so many of us have X250 based vehicles??

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:24 pm

CruizingComet wrote:... agree the visibility is a big thing as the mirrors just stick out so far and being black they are not that visible despite being huge, white would as you say be more noticeable to oncoming traffic and if it makes them more likely to be aware and hit their brakes then the outlay for this alone would make it worthwhile.

If it is, then why not just paint the mirrors white? wave wave (That's the "back" of the mirrors by the way!)

Total cost +/- 20p!! allthumbz

Enjoy!

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Mirror Guards To Fit Nuevo / X250 models Empty Mirror guards to fit Nuevo X250 vans

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi Mr Cruz, fat albert etc,
Just ordered a pair of guards, my pal around the corner has them on his Fiat van and swears by them, he has had a few dings on his wing mirrors, no sign of damage to the actual glass.
My Nuevo has already had the passenger side mirror and case replaced, at Marquis motorhomes expence.
Will let you know next week what there like.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Dutto wrote:If it is, then why not just paint the mirrors white? wave wave (That's the "back" of the mirrors by the way!)

Total cost +/- 20p!! allthumbz

Enjoy!

Best regards,

drinksallround

Firstly I doubt very much you could paint them for 20p Dutto scratch head by the time you mess around with Plastikote Plastic Primer, and the white paint top coat I estimate you would use a can of each on each mirror.. so that's 4 cans of paint at say roughly 5-6 quid per can (that's being conservative with the qty of paint and on the prices) so don't know where your 20p comes from? (Would sooner put that money towards the covers) Also my experience of painting plastic is that the longevity is pretty hit and miss...

Not being funny but we haven't paid 30k for a motorhome to carry out DIY at that kind of level, and besides all that we want the mirror guards mainly for PROTECTION, the fact you can get them in white is just an added bonus and will hopefully make them more visible as discussed up!

I'll be the first to admit how expensive these protectors are.. but come'on replacing mirrors with a cheaper equivalent that doesn't even fit properly as per your earlier post, Quote: Personally, I would sooner spend my money on a different design of wing mirror! you're forgetting the inbuilt gadgetry and inbuilt indicators, never mind what ever it would look like? No offense intended but that's just being silly shrugg

burlingtonboaby wrote:Hi Mr Cruz, fat albert etc,
Just ordered a pair of guards, my pal around the corner has them on his Fiat van and swears by them, he has had a few dings on his wing mirrors, no sign of damage to the actual glass.
My Nuevo has already had the passenger side mirror and case replaced, at Marquis motorhomes expence.
Will let you know next week what there like.
Boaby

Glad to hear you have ordered some Boaby, will look forward to your verdict when you get them.. up!

We did contact Paul at Mirror Guard to see if we could get a small discount for forum members but don't think we have had a response as yet so will probably hold off just in case he does offer us something, it's worth a try shrugg

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi CC got a white pair for my Nuevo from Shepton Mallett show in January. I got them for £100 as I paid cash. They are a really tight fit as the rubber round the edges grips on the mirror sides. The pads inside are only double sided sticky pads and are purely put on as a security measure to stop people nicking them. They really do look the part and transform the look.
The chap from Mirrorguard had a guard which one of his customers had brought in as he had an encounter with a guy in a Merc in France whose mirror was completely demolished. His guard fell off in the impact but the mirror on his camper was unmarked including the glass. The only damage to the guard was a slight crack so they really do work.
When I get chance i will post a photo. smile!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:14 pm

Thanks for that feedback Moggy up!

Not sure when the next show is going to be as the web site doesn't list which individual shows they attend? £100 certainly sounds better than £120 though! gimmefive

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:21 pm

CruizingComet wrote:Thanks for that feedback Moggy up!

Not sure when the next show is going to be as the web site doesn't list which individual shows they attend? £100 certainly sounds better than £120 though! gimmefive

They seem to go to most shows-just give them a ring and ask them. The place they are made is not far from me. He did not advertise them cheaper if you pay cash but he is a helpful guy so just ask nicely and I am sure you will get them for what I paid.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:40 am

I looked at these and considered getting some as there is a quite a lot of (some of it admittedly anecdotal) evidence that they do absorb impact as claimed. However, what put me off was the asthetics - The only ones I saw were white and (each to his own here.......) don't they look just a little bit too much "Darth Vader starship trooper"? I'll stick with the original and take the risk for now
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:56 pm

DuxDeluxe wrote:I looked at these and considered getting some as there is a quite a lot of (some of it admittedly anecdotal) evidence that they do absorb impact as claimed. However, what put me off was the asthetics - The only ones I saw were white and (each to his own here.......) don't they look just a little bit too much "Darth Vader starship trooper"? I'll stick with the original and take the risk for now

They do them in silver and black also but the white ones are a good match to the Peugeot white. They do not look out of place at all!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:04 pm

moggyminor1966 wrote:They do them in silver and black also but the white ones are a good match to the Peugeot white. They do not look out of place at all!

Thanks for that - I'll keep a look out [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Here's a photo of my white mirrorguards! smile!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks - that is exactly what I meant. They look very good but I can't help but think of Star Wars every time I see them. Don't even particularly like Star Wars............ Must be going slowly mad
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:16 pm

Have to say they look better in Moggys photo than I was expecting, but I know what you mean in a way Dux.. I also had reservations but was prepared to put that aside for the protection they offered, but after seeing a better pic I think they actually look pretty good and will be fine. Dux if you fit the black ones from a distance I doubt you would tell them apart from the standard mirrors would you?

This pic shows just how far the X250 mirrors stick out, and shows just how vulnerable they actually are Whistle1

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:37 pm

I usually fold my mirrors in when the van is parked in the driveway, so don't notice, but my Broadway can't be any wider than the Nuevo so it would look the same - a bit like Andrew Marr on a bad day really....... With black covers it would definitely be Darth Vader. I'll take the picture that you posted and photoshop it white. The only problem is that I'm just on my way to Panama for the week on a business trip, so it'll have to wait unless we have a PS expert out there.
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:39 pm

DuxDeluxe wrote:I usually fold my mirrors in when the van is parked in the driveway, so don't notice, but my Broadway can't be any wider than the Nuevo so it would look the same - a bit like Andrew Marr on a bad day really....... With black covers it would definitely be Darth Vader. I'll take the picture that you posted and photoshop it white. The only problem is that I'm just on my way to Panama for the week on a business trip so it'll have to wait unless we have a PS expert out there.

Blimey you don't arf get about Dux, alright for some gimmefive

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next