Sandhurst wanted please

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sandhurst wanted please

Post by daisy mae on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:52 am

As I prefer the VW base I am now looking for a Sandhurst,  I have put in a wanted  again as I didn`t think the first altered one would get noticed as the heading is the same as before, could `t change the heading.
Thank you,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sandhurst wanted please

Post by Paulmold on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:01 am

One just appeared on the FB group, text copied here..

for sale vw t5 sandhurst 2 berth  56 reg 2.5 dsg gearbox remapped also had facelift solar panel 2x 85 amp batteries bike rack awning tow bar diesel heater {red hot} 26k miles ,also has the single beds option 2017 alloys fitted just been serviced and new starter motor fitted tv/dvd good size fridge and big end bathroom looking for £33.000 ono 07930347540 I'm based in featherstone west yorkshire thanks for looking

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:09 am

Thanks Paul, have spoken to the owner of it, he is an enthusiast and it has been modified, as VW owners do, well some of them with campers, smile!  he has changed the wheels, remapped it,  also has a light bulb hanging from one of the spot lights ? wonder what that is all about, it is also an auto-matic, which I do not like ,will think about it again, if nothing else turns up. There is one in Perth, that one is also automatic, and hundreds of miles away .

Thank you very much for letting me know, much appreciated.
Very best regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesie on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:40 am

I saw the one on FB, and was going to tell you here, the DSG Auto is really a manual with electronic control. VW call it DSG, Audi call it S -tronic
I have an A3 with this box, and it drives superbly. The one in Perth has been advertised for months, maybe a year or more.
It was there when I looked for the van I have now !
Jonesie

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:47 am

Thank you for that, the one in Perth, I have heard that,  that one had bleach stains on the seat. I cannot see it from the photos.

But you still only have the two pedals, I get cramp in my left leg in auto`s need the pedal to keep using it. alright funny I know,   hugegrins that is me and I have to be comfortable. 

Thank you for the help,
Best regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:38 am

Jonesie wrote:the DSG Auto is really a manual with electronic control. VW call it DSG, Audi call it S -tronic

Sorry to have to correct, but any T5 prior to 2010 (late 2009 in some countries) will NOT have a DSG auto. Prior to the introduction of the facelift in 2010, all auto T5s had the 6-speed Tiptronic box, which is a conventional electro-hydraulic box, not a computerised manual box.

Incidentally it's a bit unfair to call the (2010-onward in the T5) 7-speed DSG box a "manual with electronic control". Unlike the "robotised" boxes that Fiat use, it's actually two gearboxes side-by-side with a dual-clutch mechanism to transfer drive between the two.

In use, there is little difference between the older Tiptronic and the DSG - they are both a pleasure (IMO) to drive, but the latter is around 10% better on fuel, on average.
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:58 pm

-mojo- wrote:
Jonesie wrote:the DSG Auto is really a manual with electronic control. VW call it DSG, Audi call it S -tronic

Sorry to have to correct, but any T5 prior to 2010 (late 2009 in some countries) will NOT have a DSG auto. Prior to the introduction of the facelift in 2010, all auto T5s had the 6-speed Tiptronic box, which is a conventional electro-hydraulic box, not a computerised manual box.

Incidentally it's a bit unfair to call the (2010-onward in the T5) 7-speed DSG box a "manual with electronic control". Unlike the "robotised" boxes that Fiat use, it's actually two gearboxes side-by-side with a dual-clutch mechanism to transfer drive between the two.

In use, there is little difference between the older Tiptronic and the DSG - they are both a pleasure (IMO) to drive, but the latter is around 10% better on fuel, on average.
The advert for Sandhurst is on Facebook, it does say 2.5 DSG gear box, please read, another Sandhurst in Perth, auto, There is also a Pollensa  at Wellbridge motorhomes , which has the same, please check. ? as far as I can see, button controls on steering wheel. also a Windsor 2009 at David Fuller, with an auto.

I stand corrected, if wrong, if you would have a look at these and tell me exactly what they are? I am in a market for a van, and I am now finding it confusing to say the least.  shrugg

Best regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesie on Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Stand corrected on the Tiptronic/DSG fitting , but didn’t want too get too technical for Margaret. I know that gears 1,3,5 are on one shaft, and 2,4,6 are on the other in my Audi.
I don’t have a clue regarding the Ford push button Auto. But these vans are a lot bigger than the Sandhurst, and in my opinion don’t look anywhere as good. But don’t take my word for it, ask an owner on here and go and look at the vans.
Jonesie

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesie on Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:26 pm

Have you seen the Gatcombe or Sherbourne on the VW ? There’s not too many around, but would be worth looking for.
Jonesie

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:39 pm

I already have a Anniversary Clubman which is the same as a Gatcombe, the Sherbourne doesn`t have the single bed option, just the one settee and overcab bed.

Thank you for telling about them. 

The Sandhurst is bigger than the Windsor by 1 foot, 21 foot, the Windows and Pollensa 20foot, 

the Sandhurst is 3 feet longer than my Glubman which is 18` 2" long 

Thanks to all for the help, I may get one yet.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Jonesie wrote:Stand corrected on the Tiptronic/DSG fitting , but didn’t want too get too technical for Margaret. I know that gears 1,3,5 are on one shaft, and 2,4,6 are on the other in my Audi.
I don’t have a clue regarding the Ford push button Auto. But these vans are a lot bigger than the Sandhurst, and in my opinion don’t look anywhere as good. But don’t take my word for it, ask an owner on here and go and look at the vans.
The Ford vans I have looked are 1 foot shorter than the Sandhurst, 

I would look at one if I could find one that is not an auto.if any problems , it is more expensive to put right, and I have to pay a garage, so have to take that into account plus the lower MPG. As I use mine everyday.

I agree the Sandhurst looks better then it is on a VW. smile!  

Thanks for help.
Best regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:14 am

daisy mae wrote:
The advert for Sandhurst is on Facebook, it does say 2.5 DSG gear box

Facebook is a big place and I've no idea where to look, but there's a simple rule: if it's prior to 2010, and if it has the 2.5l 5-cylinder diesel, it will NOT have the DSG gearbox. The seller is simply mistaken.

However, the Tiptronic auto that it ~will~ have is a good gearbox - we have one of each (Tiptronic on the Trooper, DSG on the Celex). By reputation the Tiptronic seems to be slightly less reliable than the DSG, even accounting for the fact that they are all older, and they are significantly heavier on fuel consumption - not so much on the motorway, but noticeably around town. MPG with a DSG box should be hardly any different than a manual box, because it does not have a torque converter.

And yes, you're right - an auto is a ~lot~ more expensive to repair than a manual, but they are pretty reliable these days. During the last 20 years or so, we have had only one failure (a Mk2 Ford Transit, in which auto boxes were not at all common).
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:34 am

You don't need to find it on Facebook, I copied it in the second post of this thread.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:36 am

-mojo- wrote:
daisy mae wrote:
The advert for Sandhurst is on Facebook, it does say 2.5 DSG gear box

Facebook is a big place and I've no idea where to look, but there's a simple rule: if it's prior to 2010, and if it has the 2.5l 5-cylinder diesel, it will NOT have the DSG gearbox. The seller is simply mistaken.

However, the Tiptronic auto that it ~will~ have is a good gearbox - we have one of each (Tiptronic on the Trooper, DSG on the Celex). By reputation the Tiptronic seems to be slightly less reliable than the DSG, even accounting for the fact that they are all older, and they are significantly heavier on fuel consumption - not so much on the motorway, but noticeably around town. MPG with a DSG box should be hardly any different than a manual box, because it does not have a torque converter.

And yes, you're right - an auto is a ~lot~ more expensive to repair than a manual, but they are pretty reliable these days. During the last 20 years or so, we have had only one failure (a Mk2 Ford Transit, in which auto boxes were not at all common).
The seller is Colin Bowkett, he is on the Auto-sleepers owners club, in Face book, do not have to be a member, I `m not, don`t like FB, he earns his living in the VW campers scene as well as unusual cars,
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:24 am

The Auto-sleeper Owners Group on Facebook has no connection with the Auto-sleeper Owners' Club.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:33 am

I do know that Peter, that is what some call it on FB I am  a member of the ASOC just trying to help the member to find the posting.

Thanks Paul, I had forgotten about that. 

Best regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:37 am

daisy mae wrote:he earns his living in the VW campers scene as well as unusual cars,

I guess if he knows VW campers well, that makes the error about which auto box is fitted less forgivable. Some people choose to be "unaware" of the fact that a 2006 2.5l T5 cannot have a DSG box, because the DSG box makes a vehicle more sellable - but believe me, it will not have a one unless it has been very heavily modified (in which case I would strongly recommend that you do not buy it)!

It sounds like you are certain that you don't want an auto, but if you're in the slightest bit tempted, I would recommend taking one for a test drive, just to see how you get on. The later boxes are sometimes described as semi-automatic, but that's not really true - they are proper automatics, and if you leave it in Drive it will do everything for you. There are some pros and cons to the later boxes compared to the earlier ones (other than MPG) but the difference is not large.
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:40 am

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:51 am

Thanks for the link Peter.

Even at that distance you can see from the photo that the gearbox is a Tiptronic, despite what the seller says.

I don't like the "facelifted" front (where you can still see the cutout in the top of the bumper where the VW logo should be) either - the headlamps on the facelifted front end are definitely inferior to the pre-2010 headlamps too. But thankfully they haven't "upgraded" the door mirrors to post-2010!

[Edit: I'm a bit more suspicious about the front end, looking at it further. The paint match on the bonnet does not appear to be good. In itself that may not be an issue, because when you "facelift" a pre-2010 T5 you have to change the bonnet and they may have bought a secondhand one. However... some people choose to "facelift" a van after it's had front end damage, so I would want to know whether it has an insurance damage marker recorded against it.]
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:24 am

-mojo- wrote:
daisy mae wrote:he earns his living in the VW campers scene as well as unusual cars,

I guess if he knows VW campers well, that makes the error about which auto box is fitted less forgivable. Some people choose to be "unaware" of the fact that a 2006 2.5l T5 cannot have a DSG box, because the DSG box makes a vehicle more sellable - but believe me, it will not have a one unless it has been very heavily modified (in which case I would strongly recommend that you do not buy it)!

It sounds like you are certain that you don't want an auto, but if you're in the slightest bit tempted, I would recommend taking one for a test drive, just to see how you get on. The later boxes are sometimes described as semi-automatic, but that's not really true - they are proper automatics, and if you leave it in Drive it will do everything for you. There are some pros and cons to the later boxes compared to the earlier ones (other than MPG) but the difference is not large.
It is the modification / s that bothered me, insurance don`t like them. 

I use to have an auto-matic, a proper one found it boring,  feel more in control with manual that is just me, wouldn`t do for us all to be  the same. 

Thank you for your help,
does make things clearer.
Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Changing Model, Update Amethyst

Post by daisy mae on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:50 am

daisy mae wrote:As I prefer the VW base I am now looking for a Sandhurst,  I have put in a wanted  again as I didn`t think the first altered one would get noticed as the heading is the same as before, could `t change the heading.
Thank you,
Margaret
After viewing numerous vans around the country, and test driving an Amethyst today, well my husband did, my Carpel Tunnel was playing up, he found the steering heavy and lacking in power, said he thought that I would struggle with it, really thought I had found THE van,

Think I have exhausted the vans that would be suitable, spent hours surfing the net, ringing round as well as the travelling, I realise I am not going to find one on my doorstep.

Looking at  a newer model of the Amethyst  with the 6 gears , they are like hens teeth. that would be the ideal van, the one in Perth thought of going there nearly 400 miles to view it on Tuesday, after blowing the photo up, looks like it has damp in it, wall covering wrinkled on the side of the wardrobe top left, as well as other places, the scorch marks , looks like that , on the NS pelmet wasn`t really a concern could be fixed. A bit down tonight never mind ,   so_sad tomorrow is another day. 

Thanks for all your help. much appreciated.

Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:31 pm

Take your time. I have wasted a lot of time and money chasing cars and vans around the country.
Pictures lie. Ask lots of questions.Ask for pictures of parts that are not shown.Get copies of service details and v5c. Contact previous owner if possible.Ask more questions.Reason for sale if not a dealer.ETC.
regards

Micky
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:44 pm

Many thanks for all replies help and info, rang about the one in Perth and he is looking in to, anything that wants doing will be done, I am very concerned of damp, and as lot of damage can be done behind the scenes, 

So now will see if anything turns up. 

The one I saw yesterday I liked, just the heavy steering and felt under powered, now thinking, 

Did it need a good service, all filters changed ,brakes check, etc. may be binding, anyone know? if this could be the problem or is it normal for that engine, a FORD 2006 2,4 if that is the case of a good service etc, I would buy it.

Has anyone on here got this engine. and could they advise please? technical I do not do.engine wise anyway. 

Thank you,
Kind regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi Damp is a big worry. Insist on a damp check if none done recently.  Power wise, a turbo engine is best.
Front tyre pressures low could make steering heavy.
Servicing docs always need to be checked.

Micky
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:22 am

The one yesterday was a 2006 ,  Ford 2.4 115 hp, another one is a 2007 2.4  140hp so I take it the latter one is the better engine. both turbo`s.

Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top