The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyre Pressure Warning

+5
ajrm
safariboy
chrisk
Gromit
BornAgain
9 posters

Go down

Tyre Pressure Warning Empty Tyre Pressure Warning

Post by BornAgain Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:12 pm

I am sure this has been raised many times but I could not find a helpful response using the Search facility. Having weighed our Broadway fully loaded and emailed Continental for their advice the recommended pressures are 3.25 bar front and 5.25 rear. The problem I have is that if I lower the pressures in the front to the recommended level (47 psi) the low pressure warning will come on and stay on in the Peugeot cab. Is there any way to change the warning level, alternatively, is it worth running at the lower pressure anyway and ignoring the warning?
BornAgain

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Tyre Pressure Warning Empty Re: Tyre Pressure Warning

Post by Gromit Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Look for a thread posted a few months ago by Cymro. It's quite comprehensive.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisk Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:54 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
chrisk
chrisk
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Berkshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:40 pm

Thanks. I found the post and it confirms what I thought - the warning is factory set and changing it requires dealer intervention and a cost.

Thanks for the link chrisk, I have the correct information for my exact tyres from Continental. The data was not available online. 

In case people don’t wish to search all previous posts they should be aware that the plated tyre pressures (inside the near side door in the case of my Peugeot/Broadway) may refer to the base vehicle and not the coachbuilt motorhome. AS don’t change the plates as far as I am aware, and the axle loads on the Motorhome are different to the base vehicle (e.g. Boxer).
BornAgain

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by safariboy Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:51 pm

I am sure that this is trues but have never understood it. The motorhome is close to full load (2.0 tonnes on rear axle)
The unconverted vehicle or most other conversions will be substantially less and so 5.5 would seem to be too high looking at the charts.
I have always felt that the 215 tyre on a 2 tonne axle is a bit close to the maximum for comfort.
The charts give the same pressure for "C" and "CP" tyres.
safariboy
safariboy

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:48 am

We had a Broadway FB from new and ran the tyre pressures at 5 bar on both axles. After 25000 miles, the fronts were nearing replacement time, but they had worn perfectly evenly. 
I also had tpm’s fitted and played about with pressures after reading posts about differing thoughts on the right settings. 
In my case, I found the tyres ran cooler at the pressures I set, ( our Tyrepal sensors also displayed temperature) Lowering the pressures led to an increase in temperature, so I kept them at 5 bar
I would be very wary of changing pressures, even with “correct” info from the manufacturer.

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by steve00136 Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:51 pm

Think i would be very wary running at too higher pressures especially at the front. There is a balance between higher pressure to minimise rolling resistance to gain better mpg and lower pressure to provide more tyre in contact with the ground for grip when braking. The door pillar pressures for the front are 70psi - the tyre safe website is 45psi which is what i am using. I wonder what stance the police would take if there were a spot check?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo / Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:33 am

I think they would go off the door pillar stickers put on by the converter. They wouldn’t contact the tyre manufacturer.
I understand what you say about the pressure balance but I ran my tyres with the converters recommended pressures and these pressures gave me the lowest temperatures. Any lower and they got worryingly hot, which told me there was excess flexing in the tyre walls contributing to the high temps. 
If you are running Vanco or other Motorhome specific tyres, you will know that the tyre walls are stiffer than normal tyres to cope with the extra weight and to reduce tyre flex in cornering. The stiffer walls will also create more heat when under inflated 
I was quite happy running my Vanco’s at 5 bar at the front. 
My current van runs at 70 psi front and rear. Again, recommended pressures on the door pillars put there by the converter. And this is for the vehicles mam of 3850kg.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:02 am

I've only just discovered that the plated axle weights (located inside the passenger door) also has the A/S job no stamped. Doh!  scratch head

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:11 am

Just saw this at the bottom of the Tyresafe website

CP-type tyre construction enables the use of higher inflation pressures to provide resistance to the difficult conditions of use encountered on motorhomes. Therefore, when CP-type tyres are fitted on the rear axle in a single formation set the inflation pressures to 5.5 bar (80 psi) for all loads.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:05 am

Yes, AJRM, my Continental Vanco CP tyres are embossed with this:

"Due to special service conditions of motor caravans it is permitted to increase the inflation pressure. PERMITTED MAXIMUM INFLATION PRESSURE 5.50 BAR."  [capital letters as on the tyre wall]

Very confusingly, however, the same manufacturer has published a table, giving recommended pressures per axle dependent on that axle's load.

So what is one to do? Run at the permitted pressure (5.50 bar / 80 psi) or run at the pressures specified on the manufacturer;s table for that specific tyre?

For comfort, I run at about 55:75 psi. For the rears, that's down a bit, but for the fronts its substantially down. I have occasionally felt the tyres after a run, and they don't seem to be excessively hot - but that's hardly a scientific measurement! 

I am resigned to the fact that there seems to be no definitive right answer!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:14 am

Michelin have always given a figure of 80psi for rears of their Agilis camper tyres regardless of axle weight. Tyresafe have changed their website/chart to also match that.
Doesn't help those with tpms though.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:47 am

I think you’re right, there doesn’t appear to be a definitive answer. I suppose it’s best to research as much as you need and go with what you feel confident with. 
I have two labels on the door pillars with differing pressures. The Fiat label states 80 psi front and rear. The converters plate says 72.5 front and rear. Tyresafe states 54 front and 58 rear for C tyres and CP tyres should be 80psi, which talllies with the Fiat label!

Male

Back to top Go down