Oil change message

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oil change message

Post by malc45 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am

I have a symbol based on a peugeot boxer 2 ltr euro 6 . It was new in December 2016.
Coming up to 2000 miles at the end of august the oil change message came on the multi function display for approximately 20 seconds . This appeared every time the engine was started up . The new vehicle preparation check list from peugeot was dated 26 / 08 / 16 . I phoned peugeot dealer they needed to check it out . 
They said vehicles for motorhome conversions had a sensor in the oil sump to measure the condition of the oil and it was this which was calling for an oil change . They also said it was not time based . ie 1 year . 
So as not to invalidate the warranty it was serviced with a oil and oil filter change . service should be 2 years . 
If a commercial vehicle I believe the oil change interval is 10000 miles unless a lot of stop start and short runs . 
I would like to know if any other member has experienced this or know of it .
malc45

Male

Auto-Sleeper : symbol
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oil change message

Post by daisy mae on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:33 pm

I have never owned a Peugeot,  but on all my vehicles many different marques regardless of age or mileage I have always had an oil change and a new oil filter every 12 months. A small to price to pay for a sweeter running engine. In spite of manufacturers guide in the hand books,

This has worked for me and I will continue to do this.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:12 pm

I was very surprised when I purchased my van new in 2015 to find that the first service was at 2 years.
Pete
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:40 pm

VW T5/T6s are the same - 2 years or 20,000 miles! Mine has its dealer service every 2 years, and an oil/filters change by me (with VW-approved parts/oil) every other year - which means an oil change every 5-6000 miles.

If you can live with the (relatively low, I would guess) cost, an oil change after the first 2k won't do any harm at all!
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 20
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HairyFool on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 pm

Not exactly sure how an engine runs "sweeter" on the basis of an early oil change. The fact is the precision and dependability of engine manufacture along with improvements in oil technology means we need to throw away far less of the environmentally damaging oil waste.

Perhaps we should be doing what Rolls Royce were doing 30 years ago. The TriStar engines had 6 magnetic plugs that would be analysed and bearing condition reported on allowing for maintenance when it was actually needed.
HairyFool

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:13 am

The fact is that analysis of the oil is retrospective. You only know you're getting bad wear when you find bits of your engine in the oil, and that's too late IMO.

The idea behind early oil changes is to make sure you have as close as possible "to specification" oil in the engine so that excessive wear doesn't happen in the first place. In a perfect world it shouldn't be necessary, but in the real world it's not unusual to get small amounts of coolant and fuel getting into the oil, and that does not do anything good for wear rate.

Cost-wise it's not too burdensome (it costs me less than £40, including VW supplied filter and LLIII spec oil) and environmentally it's not a massively bad deal either, because the used oil gets recycled.
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 20
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:53 am

I think it is a small price to pay , after all our MH `s are not cheap to buy, and I for one will continue to care for it, 

I also buy the best oil and my mechanic recycles the old.

Quite a few of you can do your own oil changes therefore cheaper than mine as I pay my mechanic, 

Penny wise pound foolish comes to mind.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:38 am

During our recent duff info messages on the dash the Oil Change Warning Indicator came on and along with all the other spurious messages the dealer reset as they said it was plain the Oil Change wasnt due till around March next year

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandolf on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:47 am

AnniversaryWe have a Warwick xl euro 6 and oil change came upon its 1st Anniversary it should not . It’s  every 2 years . Spoke to Peugeot they wanted to charge 1/2 hours labour. Spoke to dealer and was told to turn ignition on put brake a accelerator pedal to the floor for 3 to 4 minuets (engine off ) then try the ignition. It worked for us . Apparently it resets it
Gandolf

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:36 am

I've also recently got this message, amazingly after only 900 miles use, so there's no way the oil has degraded in that time, unless something serious is happening.

I checked the oil on the dipstick and it looks in good condition with hardly any colour and feels nice and smooth.

I rang the dealer and he said that it is in fact time based as well as condition and what can happen is a van is taken in from Peugeot for conversion by AS which could take sometime.  Then when you get it, it's new in your eye's but is getting on for a year old from Peugeot (or even longer) and the oil warning comes on a few months later regardless.

He also said only Peugeot can reset the warning but should do it under warranty.  That said, I may have a go at that reset procedure that Gandolf mentions, worth a shot.
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 46
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by malc45 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:24 pm

Thank you for your reply as I expected the one year from which it was passed  off from peugeot was the reason for the oil change message . I expect it will happen again 12 months after having the oil change.
But I will know what to do.
malc45

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Yesterday at 8:03 pm

As I understand The oil condition isn’t monitored, but the engine operation data is recorded, certain running conditions, perhaps lots of short journeys trigger a shorter service interval. My Fairford when delivered had covered around 60 miles, but had recorded around 60 hours of engine running time. Mine is euro 5. Is it possible that euro 6 engines log this excessive running at idle as a reason to change the oil?

Toffee

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper : Fairford
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by malc45 Today at 7:20 pm

Thank you for your reply, the service manager at the peugeot dealer was adamant there was a device in the oil sump to measure the condition of the oil. After now having had the oil changed I will see  what happens next time a message appears. If this is one year from the oil change questions  will be asked . Malcolm
malc45

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum